The loss of Steven Fletcher

I think Fletcher’s time at Wednesday was a decent spell and was a reliable performer, scored important goals and lead the front line brilliantly.. when fit.

I have always been a big fan of his, however, I was/am enraged that he (plus Fox) wouldn’t sign at least a short term deal to see the mini restart season out. Even at a reduced wage, would barely change his life, and yet, his contribution could have made such a difference to our results/outcome. I can’t forgive him for that. Disgrace.

Edited by SwellOwl
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, SwellOwl said:

I think Fletcher’s time at Wednesday was a decent spell and was a reliable performer, scored important goals and lead the front line brilliantly.. when fit.

I have always been a big fan of his, however, I was/am enraged that he (plus Fox) wouldn’t sign at least a short term deal to see the mini restart season out. Even at a reduced wage, would barely change his life, and yet, his contribution could have made such a difference to our results/outcome. I can’t forgive him for that. Disgrace.

I was of a similar opinion, certainly disappointed that they chose not to see the season out. Playing devils advocate though, Fletcher is a 33-year-old player who has had a number of injuries and had only recently returned from a fairly serious one. Risking injury in the last few games at a time when he hadn't got a contract agreement with anyone would potentially be putting himself at risk of not having a club for the next season if he had got injured. 

1 minute ago, hirstyboywonder said:

I was of a similar opinion, certainly disappointed that they chose not to see the season out. Playing devils advocate though, Fletcher is a 33-year-old player who has had a number of injuries and had only recently returned from a fairly serious one. Risking injury in the last few games at a time when he hadn't got a contract agreement with anyone would potentially be putting himself at risk of not having a club for the next season if he had got injured. 

Totally agree with what you are saying. He could have also played remaining game and earned himself a better contract with another club. 

7 hours ago, TrickyTrev said:

You’re always going to have a problem when you are over reliant on a 30 plus crock.

Anyway, like Forestieri and Fox, Fletcher couldn’t wait to get out of the door as soon as he could (even though he’d been paid to my knowledge a full wage during lock down for doing nothing) so f**k him.

I’d sooner focus on players that want to be here rather than crying about those that don’t want to be here leaving.

Said day one when we signed him he’ll be injured half the time. Some good times but overall not what we needed

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Bluesteel said:

Clearly a good player but shouldn’t these players be going to the gym as standard? Does it really need a 30 odd year old striker to convince them it’s a good idea?

Im guessing they weren’t going to work out, probably more to, shall we say, admire the view!

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, archieswfc said:

I was after a bite but since you mention it, Westwood played 14 games before Christmas. 

Westwood was playing poorly resulting in him being rightly dropped. He couldn't handle being dropped so had a phantom injury so he didn't have to sit on the bench. Says a lot about his character.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, unkastav said:

Said day one when we signed him he’ll be injured half the time. Some good times but overall not what we needed

Was fit for 132 of our 180 Championship matches. 

Played in 126. Unused sub in 6.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Was fit for 132 of our 180 Championship matches. 

Played in 126. Unused sub in 6.

Shouldve got more goals then🤣

still a fair chunk missing

Edited by unkastav

21 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Fletcher was our only consistent goal threat last season.

Once he got injured and we were down to a choice of Nuhiu, Winnall or Rhodes for that packed late-December / January period of games, we were in trouble. Trying to to find a match-fit replacement for him in the January window was never going to be realistic. 

Allowing Hooper, Matias and João to leave without replacing any of them cost us big time.

He's just scored for Wellington then walked off injured, he missed a right sitter just before, one of those chances your Grandmother would put away. lol

Edit he's come back on now, still limping though.

Edited by bradowl

18 hours ago, Ronnie Starling said:

Westwood was playing poorly resulting in him being rightly dropped. He couldn't handle being dropped so had a phantom injury so he didn't have to sit on the bench. Says a lot about his character.

Fair call I was just responding to Dawson being in goal. 

Whether it's coincidence or whether there's something in it, our form was better with Westwood and Hutch in the team than without. Both this season and the previous time they were isolated. It's not an opinion it's a fact. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, edinburghowl said:

Signing for Celtic on a 1 year deal apparently. A move to his boyhood club and an opportunity to win things. Can’t blame him 

Good move for him tbf. Winning at Celtic though not quite the achievement it should be!

Guest Bulgaria
9 minutes ago, Neon Nick said:

SWFC will move on, this is how I will remember Fletcher...

Fletchers Overhead goal agains Swanswa.jpg

Unfortunately I will remember Fletcher for not giving a poo about helping the club ( that made him more of a millionaire) for just 8 games that could define our immediate future.

14 minutes ago, 109Waddle said:

Good move for him tbf. Winning at Celtic though not quite the achievement it should be!

True, Celtic are miles ahead on and off the pitch of every other club in Scotland. It isn’t a contest sadly at the moment but a medal is a medal.

To be fair he’s probably got a good wage too, he’s close to family, and he’ll be playing in Europe rather than travelling to Stoke, Rotherham and Luton 🤣

• Like 1