The loss of Steven Fletcher

2 minutes ago, Roy Of The Roasters said:

Fletch was a good player, a good pro, and the team was always better when he was part of it.

But the actual time he was fit and able to play didn't remotely reflect the big wages he was on. If he would have accepted £10K a week I'd have happily kept him for another season at least. But he clearly thinks he can do better elsewhere, so best of luck to him.

Lets move on.

But lets keep Big Dave :duntmatter:

29 minutes ago, HarryPlopper said:

Maybe Bannan should step up and fill the void - if not, someone else.

The club needs leaders right now, so it's about time people stopped reminiscing and got cracking on with what needs doing.

Always seen Bannan as a target man never understood why no one has noticed this before. 😱

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Always seen Bannan as a target man never understood why no one has noticed this before. 😱

I meant, as you probably full well know, the void in the squad of someone bringing them together - such as the gym group.

Fletcher turned down a new contract, even just an extension to see out the remainder of the season. What we could've done with a few goals to win some points and taken that points deduction this season to avoid relegation, or what if we'd been relegated now because of that points deduction we got in the end.

Nuhiu, Lee, etc. at least saw out the extraordinary season with us, but Fletcher, Fox and Forestieri just packed up at the ordinary end date with 5 matches to go and everything up in the air (exception play offs, despite some players' own beliefs).

I don't need us to be reliant on selfish players however poo their contract terms might have been, and honestly, professional footballer contracts are paid LOADS so the fact they chose to go so soon... just nope. He's done here. I'd rather we get Windass and Wickham back and make those work.

• Haha 1

Just now, N0rtherner said:

Fletcher turned down a new contract, even just an extension to see out the remainder of the season. What we could've done with a few goals to win some points and taken that points deduction this season to avoid relegation, or what if we'd been relegated now because of that points deduction we got in the end.

Nuhiu, Lee, etc. at least saw out the extraordinary season with us, but Fletcher, Fox and Forestieri just packed up at the ordinary end date with 5 matches to go and everything up in the air (exception play offs, despite some players' own beliefs).

I don't need us to be reliant on selfish players however poo their contract terms might have been, and honestly, professional footballer contracts are paid LOADS so the fact they chose to go so soon... just nope. He's done here. I'd rather we get Windass and Wickham back and make those work.

I was surprised by that you would have thought his pride if nothing else had made him see the season out.  Steer us into safer waters.

I guess the agent had something do with it.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

I was surprised by that you would have thought his pride if nothing else had made him see the season out.  Steer us into safer waters.

I guess the agent had something do with it.  

Yeah, probably wanted the full length of summer window to look for next club, but still. This year has been extraordinary for everyone and summer's transfer window is also a different one. To take a contract extension and be a loyal servant to the club for another 4-5 weeks... well, I was disappointed the 3 F's (too lazy to type out their names) didn't even give us that.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, N0rtherner said:

100% this. The wages these player took we're astronomical compared to their talent, yet they couldn't repay us with a 6 week contract. Fu.ck em. 

• Like 4

I really rated Fletcher (great at linking up play, leading the line, and well respected by other pros and team members) but his weekly wage was an awful lot (considering FFP is such an issue for us) and he is injured far too much and that is only likely to get worse as he gets older. We will miss him, unless our fantastic scouting network can identify an appropriate replacement (!), but it looks like he had to be moved on when you consider everything.

• Like 1

Guest Therealrealist
6 minutes ago, Dronfield Blue said:

He was one that should have been offered a 12 month contract on reasonable terms.

Has anyone taken him on yet?

He was ..12k a week by all accounts..and told us to stick it..hope hes waiting as long as hughton for his next club

Guest Therealrealist
5 minutes ago, damianb1 said:

He was on significantly more than £12k a week.

12k a week we offered was a 70% reduction on his last contract..you dont think we wer goin to offer him the same terms do you