Charlton fans not happy

It all goes to prove how inept the EFL are. Their rules don’t help clubs and for as many that got into trouble before FFP I suspect just as many have got into worse trouble since. 

No proper vetting of owners, no bond requirement to protect clubs, no salary cap and allowing parachute payments has created a boom or bust mentality for the bigger clubs with rich owners. 

Rick Parry hasn’t done a stroke to improve matters and things won’t change until they get an independent regulator as clearly the EFL can’t do the job. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, steelcityowlsfan said:

It all goes to prove how inept the EFL are. Their rules don’t help clubs and for as many that got into trouble before FFP I suspect just as many have got into worse trouble since. 

No proper vetting of owners, no bond requirement to protect clubs, no salary cap and allowing parachute payments has created a boom or bust mentality for the bigger clubs with rich owners. 

Rick Parry hasn’t done a stroke to improve matters and things won’t change until they get an independent regulator as clearly the EFL can’t do the job. 

Can't just blame parry, problem is clubs have to vote on rule changes and because of self interest the changes that need to happen won't ever get required numbers voting for them.

Eg if you tried increasing FFP limits to nearer parachute level, parachute clubs won't vote for that and neither will the clubs who don't have owners willing to put £20-£30m in per year

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Nut said:

That's another way the P&S rules are ridiculous. We're paying a penalty 3 or 4 seasons after our wrongdoing when the players that gave us our 'unfair advantage' are no longer with us. There are other clubs with a more valid complaint than Charlton. 

And it is still having an impact now beyond the deducted points.

If the decision had been an end to it with no further action then we would know where we stand and try to build a squad accordingly That's not the case as we could appeal the decision or the amount of points deducted. We might be able to attract different players if we have no deduction or a reduced deduction than we currently have. On the other hand if Charlton do pursue this we could be facing League One. That seems unlikely to happen now but if you were a player considering a move would you want to take that risk until everything had been confirmed?

The transfer window is open and although we are not under an embargo we are still in a bit of limbo in terms of which players we are planning to move for and which players would want to make the move.

45 minutes ago, wellbeaten-the-owl said:

Can't just blame parry, problem is clubs have to vote on rule changes and because of self interest the changes that need to happen won't ever get required numbers voting for them.

Eg if you tried increasing FFP limits to nearer parachute level, parachute clubs won't vote for that and neither will the clubs who don't have owners willing to put £20-£30m in per year

The EPL  teams wont have a say in the EFL ruling about FFP...it's  not their decision to make...and the EFL clubs will have to cut their cloth accordingly 

Edited by daveyboy66

Guest Therealrealist
5 hours ago, caz92 said:

Honestly lads this is all a bit tinpot on both sides isn’t it?

You lot and our lot are basically fighting over the right to finish bottom of the league in 2020-21, delaying the inevitable.

Here in South London, we should have far more pressing matters to deal with like forcing out the fourth lot of poo owners in a row. Until that’s figured out, we are never going to be able to sustain a status back in the second tier anyway.

Powell swinging on the crossbar after the fa cup game was also a bit tinpot..at the end of the day we are dog poo but still beat your sorry outfit twice..we don’t do many doubles..believe you me

Edited by Therealrealist

5 hours ago, SiJ said:

Football is the sh*ts these days, it really is.

Points deductions, whacky rules about financial *fair* play and then even whackier ways of trying to get around them.

Better yet, the club threatening to sue someone or another are getting investigated because nobody knows who their owners are. 

Should also be pointed out that the other two teams relegated from England's second tier (the fifth biggest division in Europe), well, one was relegated due to admin allegedly brought on by a betting scam and the others are owned by a family who have  been pretty much asset stripping the ever since someone told them Hull *Tigers* was a stupid name.

D88D2851-0358-44A6-A5E1-21E9002FE7D4.gif

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

8 hours ago, caz92 said:

Honestly lads this is all a bit tinpot on both sides isn’t it?

You lot and our lot are basically fighting over the right to finish bottom of the league in 2020-21, delaying the inevitable.

Here in South London, we should have far more pressing matters to deal with like forcing out the fourth lot of poo owners in a row. Until that’s figured out, we are never going to be able to sustain a status back in the second tier anyway.

I don't take any enjoyment from what's happened to Charlton, and hope you can find some decent owners amidst all the cr@p you've had to take these past few years.

The letter writing is basically grasping at straws. Clearly the EFL isn't going to take it seriously as they know that none of the prolific letter writers would have these sudden strongly-held convictions about whether another clubs punishment from the 2017-18 season should be applied in the 2019-20 or 2020-21 if their last result had been different. At least Barnsley got their complaints in early on this score so would have had some sort of very tenuous claim (although they have gone rather quiet of late).

The biggest tinpot part of the whole thing in my opinion is that every tweet on the subject seems to be flooded with Leeds fans trying to stick the boot in (conveniently forgetting their own form in this area). And then you get the 'good chap' type posters like Wiltshire Blade, turning up on other clubs forums to try and wallow in sycophantic comments. At least Wednesday and Charlton fans have got a dog in this fight. It's bad enough wasting my life on this forum, but at least I didn't spend all of 2008 posting on West Ham forums about how Carlos Tevez was a legend.

• Like 2

That Wiltshire blade fella is your classic insecure blunt.

Even now, with everything that has happened, they are still bloody obsessed with us, going to the point of making regular posts on a Charlton forum.

• Like 5

On 01/08/2020 at 04:50, Emerson Thome said:

I do find it ridiculous that clubs like Leeds and Leicester can wipe off their debts (£30m plus in Leeds case) by going bankrupt and just form a new entity. I mean, fine if that new entity starts in Beazer League Division Five South, like Bury or something, that really is a new business, but Leeds and Leicester just carried on where they left off in the same league they would have been in anyway, and with much of the same squad.

There should be a condition, if the club wants to continue in the same league after administration that they sign a contract committing to paying all their legacy debts back in full if they ever should get promoted to the Premier League again. Leeds's promotion windfall should go to St John's Ambulance, Leeds Met University, Leeds Council, West Yorkshire Ambulance and all the other local businesses they screwed out of money, and who are all probably really suffering right now with the hit Covid-19 has had on the economy. Instead it will no doubt go into the pockets of football agents and mercenary signings.

How about creating a new legal entity to avoid corporate manslaughter charges?

Or what about having £17m of debt written of by a bank, at a time when people were losing their homes and unemployed, as a result of the last financial crisis?

• Haha 5

Charlton have been told today that their 3 owners have failed the EFL fit and proper owners tests. They must now sell the club by September 12th or they will be expelled from the EFL.

https://talksport.com/football/efl/743108/charlton-future-in-doubt-as-three-individuals-from-east-street-investments-fail-efls-directors-and-owners-test/?utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=talksportfacebook&utm_source=Facebook#Echobox=1596811051

Karma is quick these days isn't it?

:tango:

Edited by Minton

If you think that’s karma for Charlton fans you haven’t been paying attention to our ownership situation.

We were already heading towards that 12th September deadline in limbo with no answers from the EFL. Now that these crooks have been rejected, it can hopefully force people to the table.

This is a welcome development for all Charlton fans - some news is better than no news. Whether it turns out to be a positive thing long term, who knows? But at least all of our suspicions have been confirmed and we can really go after them now.

Edited by caz92

On 06/08/2020 at 14:49, Lupoli said:

Or what about having £17m of debt written of by a bank, at a time when people were losing their homes and unemployed, as a result of the last financial crisis?

Wrong.

And, er.....wrong.

You've just had your best season for half a century yet you still come on here to comment (incorrectly) about something that happened over a decade ago, and a tragedy that happened over 30 years ago when many people died.  Trying to score tribal football points about the disaster is pretty low I think.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 05/08/2020 at 19:30, shezzas left peg said:

We've been tarnished since Hillsborough, not by your average lad or lass in the stands, most people I meet don't tend to mind us or think we're a proper old club with tradition. 

We've been tarnished becouse far too many people at the top in the media are 50+ who glory supported Liverpool from back in their hay day, as if you want to be a winner you can't support a losing/nothing club.  Hence we very rarely get a good mention or fair credit in the mainstream media. 

Think about how as far as the British media is concerned Hysel is never mentioned, getting us thrown out of Europe isn't even whispered. 

How when BEFORE! The champions league game they smashed the bus up carrying a bunch of pampered prima Donna's more used to rolling around on the floor than having missiles hurled at them, broken glass, smoke everywhere.... 

To them it would have felt like an APC ride through down town basra rather than a trip to kick a bag of wind around. Of course it affected the outcome, but they swept that aside to congratulate and glorify such a wonderful comeback. 

Any other club apart from probably Man utd would have been vilified. 

So yes we're tarnished as far as the media are concerned the scousers are always the innocent victims and were always then awfull Yorkshire villains. 

By the way this is not me being all its not fair, its just my take on facts that we see. 

You're not wrong there. The media never mention Hysel, never mention Liverpool fans permanently standing up, or getting into the European Cup final for free in Istanbul ( I personally know someone who did this). Last month during the pandemic thousands of them got drunk, set flares off and even set fire to part of their own iconic Liver  building. Well, they've waited thirty years those "long suffering fans".

• Like 1

On 06/08/2020 at 15:49, Lupoli said:

Why not just enjoy your best season EVER winning the FA Cup and being in Europe next season instead of coming on here being nasty.

BTW borrowing money off the Bin Ladens to avoid a winding up order tho’, that’s fine like....?

:duntmatter:

• Haha 5

54 minutes ago, Minton said:

Charlton have been told today that their 3 owners have failed the EFL fit and proper owners tests. They must now sell the club by September 12th or they will be expelled from the EFL.

https://talksport.com/football/efl/743108/charlton-future-in-doubt-as-three-individuals-from-east-street-investments-fail-efls-directors-and-owners-test/?utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=talksportfacebook&utm_source=Facebook#Echobox=1596811051

Karma is quick these days isn't it?

:tango:

I feel for them. As much as some of their fans have been whiney of late, I do not want to see them go the same way as Bury.

• Like 3

It's going to be carnage next season with clubs in breach of EFL rules one way or another.

Question though, would administration save them? It would get current owners out of way although obviously a 12 point penalty.

Nearly all football fans would be moaning and felling cheated if they were in Charlton's position

I'm surprised Wigan haven't kicked up more of a fuss about it too tbh (oh, didn't their owners bet on them to be relegated...ok...maybe not surprised...)

For the infinitesimally small amount if worth it may have - i do not believe we should have been sanctioned at all. Why should anybody not be allowed to spend money they have?

But "rules being rules" (however peurile) then yes, i can fully see why any affected club may be extremely pee'd off that the sanction incurred in one season applies in another season

Especially with precedent within the same division within the same season 

• Like 2