Monk has one game left of his contract. Should we offer him an extension?

Monk has one game left of his contract. Should we offer him an extension?  

524 members have voted

1. 1. Should Garry Monk's contract be extended beyond the end of the 2019-20 season?

• Offer him an extension/new deal
    • Send him packing/on Fernandos bike

Looking at results since Xmas there's not a club in the land that would be happy. Unless DC knows 100% that the performances etc have been out of Monks hands and not by his making then so long and thanks for all the fish. We either go down this season, In which case I don't think it matters who we have in charge cos we might not play next season, or we go down next season. 

• Like 2

It's such a big decision and there are many factors that could change yet. This is a key time for Wednesday, we could get in a new manager if DC thinks it is the better option and we can actually bring someone good enough to the club. Whoever is in charge will have a chance to freshen up the squad with their own players and actually start to build. What DC decides to do at the end of this season is huge and will set us up to succeed or fail over the next couple of years. 

Edited by CF_Owl
  • Like 2

On 19/07/2020 at 01:12, TomtheOwl95 said:

I doubt it. The whole way he left I think will have left it's scars. Not so much for him but for Chansiri.

Bruce(as he is entitled to,in an industry of 'hire &fire' on a whim) ****ed off to Newcastle,where in my view he has done the job he was set on for.(keeping them in the Premier League)

To many of the Newcastle fans,his appointment was as popular as the man who went to the KKK fancy dress ball,dressed as 'Al Jolson'.& it remains to be seen,(despite the job he has done)in this crazy football World if he will survive.

I didnt want him at Wednesday,didnt like the fact we had to wait for him,or the way we offered nothing against Chelsea,but a game of attack & defence.I thought he had better days,and wanted someone younger,and 'hungrier'

I was wrong,Bruce still has it,but Wednesday now need to keep faith with Monk(IF he isnt 'poached') & get some stability back into the Club.We NEED a Manager to commit to the Club, but to get this,we MUST do the same....As it stands any half decent manager will get better offers..& will just **** off & than its back DOWN the snake for Wednesday,and who knows where the next 'ladder' will be?

3 minutes ago, parajack said:

Bruce(as he is entitled to,in an industry of 'hire &fire' on a whim) ****ed off to Newcastle,where in my view he has done the job he was set on for.(keeping them in the Premier League)

To many of the Newcastle fans,his appointment was as popular as the man who went to the KKK fancy dress ball,dressed as 'Al Jolson'.& it remains to be seen,(despite the job he has done)in this crazy football World if he will survive.

I didnt want him at Wednesday,didnt like the fact we had to wait for him,or the way we offered nothing against Chelsea,but a game of attack & defence.I thought he had better days,and wanted someone younger,and 'hungrier'

I was wrong,Bruce still has it,but Wednesday now need to keep faith with Monk(IF he isnt 'poached') & get some stability back into the Club.We NEED a Manager to commit to the Club, but to get this,we MUST do the same....As it stands any half decent manager will get better offers..& will just **** off & than its back DOWN the snake for Wednesday,and who knows where the next 'ladder' will be?

Who the fool is going to poach Monk? You do know bury went busy don’t you. Only a desperate club lower down the league would be interested. But he wouldn’t go anyway because he’s the only loyal manager in the league according to you. It’s like saying I’m stopping with this ugly boring fat bird because nobody is going to try and pull her. 

12 minutes ago, parajack said:

What sort of consistency / stability do you want?

Because if start next season is as consistent as the second half on this season, we would be on about 18 points by Christmas and more or less relegated

consistency can be overrated unless you have the right person

on another note, i hope Monk is poached, but i don't think we are that lucky

19 hours ago, the_vinyl_frontier said:

It's baffling that anyone would want him to stay.

It's not so much that we want him to stay. Personally, if he walked or Chansiri decided not to renew his contract then I'm not going to lose any sleep.

It's more that we recognise there's no guarantee that his replacement would do any better. And that if they didn't get off to a flying start next season a significant portion of the fans would be calling for them to get the chop after a few games, and the whole cycle would just start over again.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, the third man said:

What sort of consistency / stability do you want?

Because if start next season is as consistent as the second half on this season, we would be on about 18 points by Christmas and more or less relegated

consistency can be overrated unless you have the right person

on another note, i hope Monk is poached, but i don't think we are that lucky

The consistency that saw us third at Xmas...in the 1st half of the season....your logic can easily be applied to reach a different conclusion..Its all about who comes into the club now for me,and who goes(or isnt selected)..

Monk has in previous Clubs found some excellent Players & brought them on,and as he himself said,he doesnt coach Players to make errors on the Pitch.Pointless blaming Monk for our Players,and saying others could have got more out of them.How? by letting them do what they want?play where they want?Monk called them out allegedly for what they are Publicly,& it needed doing.

I respect him for that,Wilder did it too,and so did at Least 1 other Premier league Manager...Well 2 come to mind actually,its about how Players respond,..or DONT...eg: Big Dave stays to help the Club(and him self with more wages obviously) & scores 2 goals & assist 1 other....Need MORE of that type of commitment, & less of players on long contracts,allegedly massively(in my opinion) overpaid,and becoming Millionaires whilst playing their entire (or almost entire)  career in UK second tier

YES we changed the 'name' but to me,its still Div TWO!!!   Wages should reflect that....with reward for SUCCESS not for turning up..(and some allegedly even couldnt be arsed to do that whilst drawing wages!!

23 hours ago, Jim said:

He did say, did he not that he would build a team we can be proud of? The type of thing that’s convinced some on here he’s worth persevering with.

He says the same things pre and post match but unfortunately for him his words never have a positive effect?

He talks a good game, I’ll give him that but It’s putting all that talk into practice, the essence of being a good manager that he struggles with?

'Build a team' - that is not the same as 'lumped with a team'.

There are a lot of managers now available, including Cowley who we could've got previously. 

Monk has not earnt anything, his record has been abysmal - regardless of what he's had to work with (which was a lot of high value players). 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Plonk said:

Who the fool is going to poach Monk? You do know bury went busy don’t you. Only a desperate club lower down the league would be interested. But he wouldn’t go anyway because he’s the only loyal manager in the league according to you. It’s like saying I’m stopping with this ugly boring fat bird because nobody is going to try and pull her. 

YAWN....please cut & paste from my post(s) where i have EVER said MONK is 'loyal' I have never said it,OR implied it...IF you want to critique my post FINE,but do it on what i have said,not on what you think...No Club or Manager can expect 'Loyalty' in my view it is as rare as hens teeth,in the modern set up.

Managers move on,and Clubs 'hire & fire' thats the gig....Monk may well be attractive to a Club worried about EFL charges(who knows) as he has shown(twice now) that he can keep a Club in the Championship after such.

What constitutes a 'successful Manager' now,post COVID 19,with a late season start,& only 25% attendance,may well be a completely different World. Pearson..GONE...LEE JOHNSON,...& so on.....some excellent Managers now out there....Like i said Monk in previous Clubs has avoided relegation,& found some decent Players who were sold on,at a profit.

I am saying we have gone backwards,and need to think now(no Hoopers,Fletchers,Abdi's,Nandos being brought in,on big wages) what sort of consistency we need to rebuild.And we need TIME...We may yet start next season -9 or - 12 points...

23 hours ago, LondonOwl313 said:

I disagree with this.. ok things aren’t the best but they certainly aren’t the worst.

When Bruce was here we had him, Agnew and Clemence plus a host of other backroom staff including the much coveted Strudwick. Monk has come in, and other than not being able to bring his own assistant in he has the exact same backroom set up that was able to produce top 6 form for the back half of last season, including only 4 defeats in 23 games and numerous clean sheets. 

Playing wise he had the likes of Westwood, Iorfa, Borner, Fox, Hutchinson, Bannan, Luongo, Murphy, Forestieri, Fletcher available to choose from. All of which are competent and proven Championship players. That’s much better than what half the division had available. Yet we’ve yielded 13 defeats from 22 games over the back half of the season.

This narrative that Monk is somehow hard done to and there’s nothing he could have done to prevent the slide is false. Ok we might not be promotion standard but there’s more than enough for a comfortable top half finish there with competent management. He’s underachieved here and therefore doesn’t deserve a contract renewal

On the money.

The looming points deduction wouldn't be a problem if Monk had been competent. The amount of points lost in the second half of the season is unforgivable. We should have been home and dry of the relegation places even with a point deduction of 12. Now we are looking at 7-8 points clear so anything more than that and we are down.

• Like 1

If we had picked more than a disgraceful 18 pts in the second half of the season, we wouldn't be sitting here now knowing we might be relegated eirg a points deduction. That is solely down to Monk. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, parajack said:

T

YES we changed the 'name' but to me,its still Div TWO!!!   Wages should reflect that....with reward for SUCCESS not for turning up..(and some allegedly even couldnt be arsed to do that whilst drawing wages!!

And that is the important word, none of really know do we

And if that was the case, how come Bruce put up with it, he doesn't seem to be the type of manager who would to me

Personally I think he's set himself up for a fall saying anything less than three points on Wednesday night is unacceptable. And it's alright saying he'll have his own players next season because let's be honest that's not strictly true as the vast majority he's working with now are under contract for at least next season. So I think both he and we are well and truly f***ed.

37 minutes ago, the third man said:

And that is the important word, none of really know do we

And if that was the case, how come Bruce put up with it, he doesn't seem to be the type of manager who would to me

Well Bruce didn't hang around long enough did he,for us to know? Plus Bruce's '4 transfer' windows to sort things out,was a strong enough 'hint' of what he thought wasn't it?(Though apparently Monk is expected to do,what Bruce didnt without that) Course none of us know,we are not |Club insiders,but rather Fans,on a Fans Forum,speculating & expressing opinion.