Rhodes and Norwich

Just now, Bannofan said:

It's not mate, but if he's taking £25k a week off us , then he's had a nice £1 million off us in wages ..and what in all clear conscience can he think he's given us back? A first half hat trick against Forest? 

People on here saying what a lovely bloke he is? I think if he was that lovely  - and not a complete  mercenary- he would think 'fair enough, I've rinsed them for enough and they are struggling to balance the books..let's just call it even and I'll pocket one last signing on fee and contract elsewhere'. 

I mean, does the lad even want to play any more? Is his heart - and head - telling him it's time to pack in? There's no shame in that. He's a wealthy lad and can explore other opportunities.  

I've heard no suggestion from anyone in the camp that his attitude and application is lacking in any way, as we have with other players.

He hasn't 'rinsed' us; he's generally been available for selection, has played when called upon, and appears to be trying his best. It's just that he's nowhere near as good as the contract we gave him would have suggested.

Again, not his fault.

Suggesting he's not a decent bloke because he hasn't cancelled his contract is bizarre.

• Like 4

Just now, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

I've heard no suggestion from anyone in the camp that his attitude and application is lacking in any way, as we have with other players.

He hasn't 'rinsed' us; he's generally been available for selection, has played when called upon, and appears to be trying his best. It's just that he's nowhere near as good as the contract we gave him would have suggested.

Again, not his fault.

Suggesting he's not a decent bloke because he hasn't cancelled his contract is bizarre.

This. Blaming Rhodes is just another way for Apologists to excuse our club being run extremely poorly.

Focus has to be on the root cause of our failings, not the consequences.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Bannofan said:

It's not mate, but if he's taking £25k a week off us , then he's had a nice £1 million off us in wages ..and what in all clear conscience can he think he's given us back? A first half hat trick against Forest? 

People on here saying what a lovely bloke he is? I think if he was that lovely  - and not a complete  mercenary- he would think 'fair enough, I've rinsed them for enough and they are struggling to balance the books..let's just call it even and I'll pocket one last signing on fee and contract elsewhere'. 

I mean, does the lad even want to play any more? Is his heart - and head - telling him it's time to pack in? There's no shame in that. He's a wealthy lad and can explore other opportunities.  

Norwich came in for him last season the club (DC) wanted a silly fee, the move didn't happen. 

Celtic came in for Rhodes in January on loan the move didn't happen because you know who wanted a loan fee, Wigan offer £500k for him for the remaining of the season at that point which would have worked out over the remaining 12 games about £35k+ a week but once again someone at the club said no.

The problem isn't the player the problem is the bloke who still thinks he is worth £10m.

We get £2m and him off the wage bill we have done well.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Again, not his fault.

I never get this - if you were on decent money, with bills to pay, would you ever resign and be like 'you know, they were just paying me far too much'. 

Especially when your career lasts about 20 years. 

• Like 2

Just now, room0035 said:

Norwich came in for him last season the club (DC) wanted a silly fee, the move didn't happen. 

Celtic came in for Rhodes in January on loan the move didn't happen because you know who wanted a loan fee, Wigan offer £500k for him for the remaining of the season at that point which would have worked out over the remaining 12 games about £35k+ a week but once again someone at the club said no.

The problem isn't the player the problem is the bloke who still thinks he is worth £10m.

We get £2m and him off the wage bill we have done well.

Forget the 2 million if we just get him off the wage bill that will be a result, especially if we are relegated.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Beauchief Owl said:

Forget the 2 million if we just get him off the wage bill that will be a result, especially if we are relegated.

I would agree unfortunately the person running the club will never accept that and he will instead stay sat in the stands for the next season, with Westwood and lees it would appear.

He needs to save face a nominal fee would hopefully do that. 

But Norwich are already pleading poverty they got promoted spend just £750,000 on transfer get £100m for finishing last and £40m failure payments. Apparently they are saying Co-Vid could cost the £35m not sure where this make up figure comes from considering the amount of tv revenue they will have this season they didn't have last season.

16 minutes ago, CalmJimmers said:

I never get this - if you were on decent money, with bills to pay, would you ever resign and be like 'you know, they were just paying me far too much'. 

Especially when your career lasts about 20 years. 

And also when you consider that Rhodes has been available for selection for pretty much his entire time here, unlike many others we could mention.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, room0035 said:

Classic a team losing £20m a season is going to pay the wages so a player can sign for a former premiership team with £40m+ of parachute payments.

No either we sell him and they cover 1005 of his wages or they can trot on.

Norwich if they have half a brain will put a cheeking £2m bid in for Rhodes we get him of the wage bill but the club losing nothing for this account period and win win for everyone, maybe even a promotion bonus in there too. Then you watch Norwich play a 4-4-2 with wingers who can cross and Rhodes will get them promoted with 20+ goals and everyone will ask that simple question why have so many manager failed to get Rhodes firing at Hillsborough basically because we have never played him in the correct system and supplied him the ammo to score.

Here we go again..

"Never played him in the correct system" 

Absolute rubbish.

Never in my 40 years of watching SWFC have I seen a player given so many chances. Multiple different strike partners , multiple different systems under different managers INCLUDING wingers putting it on a plate for him.

Do you really think incoming managers look at a striker with Rhodes record and think.."tell you what coaching team, let's try and completely change his game"?

He's been given EVERY chance possible and failed to deliver . Quite frankly, if he was any kind of player he would have adapted to a change of system anyway, but due to his reputation several managers have tried any indulgence to get him going.

This blind loyalty to an absolute disaster of a signing - absolving him of any blame-  is baffling. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Bannofan said:

Here we go again..

Absolute rubbish.

Never in my 40 years of watching SWFC have I seen a player given so many chances. Multiple different strike partners , multiple different systems under different managers INCLUDING wingers putting it on a plate for him.

Do you really think incoming managers look at a striker with Rhodes record and think.."tell you what coaching team, let's try and completely change his game"?

He's been given EVERY chance possible and failed to deliver . Quite frankly, if he was any kind of player he would have adapted to a change of system anyway, but due to his reputation several managers have tried any indulgence to get him going.

This blind loyalty to an absolute disaster of a signing - absolving him of any blame-  is baffling. 

Indeed but at previous clubs he has managed to regularly score 20 goals a season, I believe he is still one of the top strikers in the country for the last 5 season. 7 times since 2009/10 season he has got double figures.

There is no blind loyalty - but it is very plain and simple at Blackburn they played 2 up front and a 4-4-2 with 2 wingers who unlike ours (Murphy aside) could cross. 159 games 83 goals that 1 in every 2 games and Huddersfield very similar formation 124 games 73 goals that better than a goal every 2 games. 

At Boro one up front, 6 in 24 games and his record for us is very poor.

Look at it which ever way you want, maybe he is past it. But won't we all at the club look very silly if his new club whoever that may be play him in a 4-4-2 with two wingers who can cross and he starts scoring for fun again. 

3 hours ago, room0035 said:

Indeed but at previous clubs he has managed to regularly score 20 goals a season, I believe he is still one of the top strikers in the country for the last 5 season. 7 times since 2009/10 season he has got double figures.

There is no blind loyalty - but it is very plain and simple at Blackburn they played 2 up front and a 4-4-2 with 2 wingers who unlike ours (Murphy aside) could cross. 159 games 83 goals that 1 in every 2 games and Huddersfield very similar formation 124 games 73 goals that better than a goal every 2 games. 

Look at it which ever way you want, maybe he is past it. But won't we all at the club look very silly if his new club whoever that may be play him in a 4-4-2 with two wingers who can cross and he starts scoring for fun again. 

Again, I think your just making stuff up for reasons unbeknownst to me.

We have played with wingers that can cross a ball, not their fault if Rhodes can longer get in the middle and on the rnd of crosses.

You still believe the club,  and every manager who has played him, Carlos, Jos , Bullen and Monk - have done wrong by him. Can't you see how ridiculous that is? Four separate managers? 

He was lethal at Huddersfield and Blackburn.  He wasn't at Boro and he's certainly not been with us. We don't know why but I can say with certainty it's not the clubs, managers or formations fault. 

5 hours ago, Bannofan said:

Here we go again..

Absolute rubbish.

Have to agree. Harris, Murphy and Bannan all supplying crosses. A good strike partner in Wickham, a better strike partner in Fletcher and time and time again Rhodes still manages to register zero in the scoring department. We just have to face facts, he isnt and will never be the goalscorer he used to be at this level again.

• Like 2

No club in the Championship will want to sign Rhodes because of his lack of ability.

No club in League One will want to sign Rhodes because of his wages.  We’re stuck with him.

Bizarrely this might be the one summer where it might be worth holding onto Rhodes.

If we get relegated, he might score us a few goals in League One.  That’s his level these days.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, room0035 said:

How many of those 7 seasons were in the last 4?

• Haha 1

On 12/07/2020 at 19:24, Swiss Toni said:

With Norwich now being relegated, I hope (with their extra bit of PL cash) they come back in for Rhodes. I think it’s more likely now than last season. We may have to take a slight hit and pay ‘some’ of the wages but surely that’s better than nothing?!

Of the clubs with ‘supposed’ past interest in him I’d say they are best placed of anyone to take him off our hands.

Big earner-wise that would probably just leave Westwood who doesn’t feature for the first team that much to get off the books and make the finances a little clearer/easier.

Have you watched Norwich play this season...they have pace throughout the team...why would they want Rhodes in the side he's one paced at best...he's played of Fletcher, Nuhu and Wickham and hasn't run beyond any of them. Da Cruz and Windass did that more in the first 45 mins on Saturday than he's done all season

2 minutes ago, daveyboy66 said:

Have you watched Norwich play this season...they have pace throughout the team...why would they want Rhodes in the side he's one paced at best...he's played of Fletcher, Nuhu and Wickham and hasn't run beyond any of them. Da Cruz and Windass did that more in the first 45 mins on Saturday than he's done all season

He’s the same player they were interested in before pace-wise. I personally don’t know why they wanted him before but I wouldn’t be against them wanting him again.

On 12/07/2020 at 19:30, Mr Farrell said:

And that's the desperation our mismanagement has led us to.

Praying somebody will help us minimise our catastrophic mistakes.

True but at the time we signed him most if not all were really pleased.