Rhodes and Norwich

45 minutes ago, TheEnchanter said:

They want £50M for Godfrey and £30+ for Cantwell. They don't usually soend much money but they'll be buying a lot better than Rhodes. 

If people don't understand how far we are behind certain teams we're talking about a 20th placed Prem team with individual squad assets worth more than our club. 

This was the same when Boney went from Swansea to Man City. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, TrickyTrev said:

Every time Norwich come and try to get Rhodes they always try to do it on the cheap. 

When they got to the Premier League and got all that Premier League money they offered to take him off is for free and not pay anything.

Although getting him off the wage bill would be a good thing, I’ve a feeling Chansiri won’t be entertaining them unless they get serious for a change.

Since coming back from loan what an earth has he done to justify any fee, let alone a big one and a big outlay on his wages.

It is who need to be realistic, huge plus if we can get him of the payroll, we should forget any thought of fees.

Top man and such a shame it didn't work but we need to clear out.

1 minute ago, AsioOtus said:

Since coming back from loan what an earth has he done to justify any fee, let alone a big one and a big outlay on his wages.

It is who need to be realistic, huge plus if we can get him of the payroll, we should forget any thought of fees.

Top man and such a shame it didn't work but we need to clear out.

This offer was made prior to him coming back to us after his loan spell.

7 minutes ago, TrickyTrev said:

This offer was made prior to him coming back to us after his loan spell.

Exactly. What has he done is past year to prove us right and Norwich wrong in their valuation. 

His reputation is shot, no-one is going to take a risk on recapturing this form after a series of failed transfers.

Hope it does come good for him, but just taking him is a gamble, no-one is going to pay for him 

• Like 1

Just now, AsioOtus said:

Exactly. What has he done is past year to prove us right and Norwich wrong in their valuation. 

His reputation is shot, no-one is going to take a risk on recapturing this form after a series of failed transfers.

Hope it does come good for him, but just taking him is a gamble, no-one is going to pay for him 

The offer was made before the past year, straight after his loan at Norwich.

A loan where he did ok and didn’t get as much game time as planned purely because of the sheer brilliance of Puki keeping him out of the side.

I’m not convinced a £1m bid would have been beyond a side freshly promoted to the Premier League.

They were the p**s.

2 hours ago, lanzaroteowl said:

We, as in 90% of our fans who wanted him signed.

I include myself amongst those

I didn't want him, I thought we needed a big strong powerful striker and was hoping we would go for Omar Bogle who was at Grimsby.

They sold him to Wigan who then sold him to Cardiff and he has been a right flop.

But at least he was only 700k and I would imagine he is not on 30k per week.

• Like 1

The last time Norwich came down from the Prem they were in for Fletcher, but couldn't get anywhere near the wages we offered him. 

That shows how ridiculous we were and also how much of a tight ship they run. 

Edited by Owls2k
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, AsioOtus said:

As I understand it if we had let him go for nothing to Norwich we would have had to pay the remaining Money we owe boro in full... 4 million quid as we are paying 2milluon per year.

Now however we have paid that up so we can save a years wages by getting someone to take him for free 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, TheEnchanter said:

They want £50M for Godfrey and £30+ for Cantwell. They don't usually soend much money but they'll be buying a lot better than Rhodes. 

If people don't understand how far we are behind certain teams we're talking about a 20th placed Prem team with individual squad assets worth more than our club. 

There is wanting and getting though isnt there. Who is paying 50m for Godfrey in this climate. Cantwell I rate but still 30m is a lot. How much was Timo Werner!! 

If the teams that go down think clubs are going to be paying 50m odd for players like Godfrey and Ake. I think they are in for a massive shock.

Last year of his contract, he can go on a season long loan somewhere...anywhere..on a free and we will pay a 3rd of his wages. 

Obviously if he was the super, smashing,  amazing bloke everybody thinks he is, he would offer to cancel his contract to unburden himself and the club. 

11 hours ago, Sticky Micky said:

Norwich are skint 

Their manager said as much earlier in the season, hence why the didn't sign anyone with any value last summer 

Norwich could be another Stoke, fail to do what most people expect 

love to know how a club is skint without spending much in premier league . aston villa on otherhand im preying they come down as they spent a fortune and could be in as bigger trouble as us. saying that no as they have saleable assets we have none. 

28 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

It's not his fault the club offered him the contract that they did.

It's not mate, but if he's taking £25k a week off us , then he's had a nice £1 million off us in wages ..and what in all clear conscience can he think he's given us back? A first half hat trick against Forest? 

People on here saying what a lovely bloke he is? I think if he was that lovely  - and not a complete  mercenary- he would think 'fair enough, I've rinsed them for enough and they are struggling to balance the books..let's just call it even and I'll pocket one last signing on fee and contract elsewhere'. 

I mean, does the lad even want to play any more? Is his heart - and head - telling him it's time to pack in? There's no shame in that. He's a wealthy lad and can explore other opportunities.  

1 minute ago, Bannofan said:

It's not mate, but if he's taking £25k a week off us , then he's had a nice £1 million off us in wages ..and what in all clear conscience can he think he's given us back? A first half hat trick against Forest? 

People on here saying what a lovely bloke he is? I think if he was that lovely  - and not a complete  mercenary- he would think 'fair enough, I've rinsed them for enough and they are struggling to balance the books..let's just call it even and I'll pocket one last signing on fee and contract elsewhere'. 

I mean, does the lad even want to play any more? Is his heart - and head - telling him it's time to pack in? There's no shame in that. He's a wealthy lad and can explore other opportunities.  

When he's watched the Chairman and his bestie spunk millions on numerous players, some who never even played, why should he take a haircut for someone else's incompetence ?

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Swiss Toni said:

With Norwich now being relegated, I hope (with their extra bit of PL cash) they come back in for Rhodes. I think it’s more likely now than last season. We may have to take a slight hit and pay ‘some’ of the wages but surely that’s better than nothing?!

Of the clubs with ‘supposed’ past interest in him I’d say they are best placed of anyone to take him off our hands.

Big earner-wise that would probably just leave Westwood who doesn’t feature for the first team that much to get off the books and make the finances a little clearer/easier.

Classic a team losing £20m a season is going to pay the wages so a player can sign for a former premiership team with £40m+ of parachute payments.

No either we sell him and they cover 1005 of his wages or they can trot on.

Norwich if they have half a brain will put a cheeking £2m bid in for Rhodes we get him of the wage bill but the club losing nothing for this account period and win win for everyone, maybe even a promotion bonus in there too. Then you watch Norwich play a 4-4-2 with wingers who can cross and Rhodes will get them promoted with 20+ goals and everyone will ask that simple question why have so many manager failed to get Rhodes firing at Hillsborough basically because we have never played him in the correct system and supplied him the ammo to score.