Applauding opposition wonder goals

Guest Timothy Fields

14 hours ago, Timothy Fields said:

Watching Big Match Revisited, those old footage shows how we've changed, I don't think I've ever clapped for a wonder goal against us ever, couple of fingers and a waving of fists but never clapping. Does it happen anywhere now? 

I've always clapped opposition goals, especially good ones, always have done and I'm sure I will always will.

• Like 2

I don't see any problem with people wanting to applaud great goals.

Football can be a beautiful game regardless of who puts the ball in the net. It breaks down barriers.

Can't think of one in a Wednesday match but one that sticks in my mind is when Ronaldo scored that overhead kick against Juve the other season. The whole stadium stood up.

Even the goose stepping baddies in escape to victory applauded Pele's overhead kick to score....

"victoire"

🤣😅🤣😂

Guest Timothy Fields

In the 70s malcolm macdonald scored 4 or 5 for Luton in a 5-0 drubbing he got a standing ovation from us at hillsboro

I gave the Wrexham CM who was having to play in goal when they were down to 9 men a full applause and cheers from the North stand for claiming a routine corner in 90th minute of a 4-0 win when I was sitting on a £800 scorecast in 2005, if that counts? 

Guest Timothy Fields
7 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Ultimately..

Applauding a wonder goal no matter who scores it or for which team is just the classy thing to do

NOT applauding a wonder goal doesn't somehow make you a bigger/better/cooler/more hardcore Sheffield Wednesday fan

I must admit I did like the goal Diame scored for Hull in that final at Wembley, but then again I've spent these years from that day sort of cursing him, in a good way that is🤭

I've clapped a few opposition goal's at Hillsborough over the years, not many.

The one that got me up out of my seat although technically not scored by opposition to the Owls was Davor Sukar's sublime chip for Croatia in Euro 96. I was sat bang behind/in line him as he did it - simply fantastic, kind of I was there moment that.  

I think I clapped Michael Owens' hatrick, goal, which was more for his overall performance as a 17/18 year old.

I also remember the Geordies clapping David Hirst's goal at St James' Park in 89 - it's on you-tube

16 hours ago, RichSheffWeds said:

I have a vague memory of a Charlton player scoring a wonder goal in early 1980’s which got applause. 

Think it was Allan Simonsen, he had been European player of the year a few years earlier. 

it was ... i also clapped Steve grits’s worldie of an OG in the same game ... iirc a 20 yarder into top corner

20 minutes ago, Hirstys Salopettes said:

it was ... i also clapped Steve grits’s worldie of an OG in the same game ... iirc a 20 yarder into top corner

I think the Simonsen goal was where he cut in from left and put it in the bottom corner. 

Its on Allan Simonsen best goals video. 

Not as good a goal as I remembered but his all round display was out of this world in that game. 

Top class player who had been with Barcelona but went to Charlton for less pressure. Just read they couldn’t afford to keep him, only played 16 games but scored 9 times.