Applauding opposition wonder goals

Guest Timothy Fields

Ck'inell it's football, not the Nuremberg rally..

Some people are really stuck in their Wednesday bubble...How did you survive the Blackburn match?

Applauding a stunning goal is just what the bigger person would do.

Edited by HIGHERSTATE
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, RichSheffWeds said:

I have a vague memory of a Charlton player scoring a wonder goal in early 1980’s which got applause. 

Think it was Allan Simonsen, he had been European player of the year a few years earlier. 

Wasn’t it an own goal by Steve Gritt that sailed past Nicky Johns...was that the 5-4 game?

4 hours ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Not real football is it in Canada?  Don't they play on ice or something?

check out former Whitecap Alphonso Davies

Won rookie of year for Bayern Munich this season 

The MLS has been a big factor in improving the quality of US and Canadian players.  Davies proves its working

• Like 1

Guest Bulgaria
7 hours ago, Hitcat said:

When I muscled through the defence and wellied a screamer past the goalkeeper breaking his hip in the process. (5-a-side competition against the over 95s in 1996)

I was there 

I stood up and acknowledged that memorizing effort.

The Bristol C home game May 91, one of the great nights. City scored a spectacular goal a bit after 70' to pull back to 3-1.

Everyone was in a good mood and lots of people applauded. My immediate thought was that we'd failed to win from two up several times that season, and we were quite capable now of doing the same from three up.

8 hours ago, Ever the pessimist said:

Never done it. Might have muttered ‘that’s a reyt goal’ but nothing more.

I remember Kewell scoring at the Leppings Lane end in our relegation season and people clapping. Wanted to punch them all, but as I was / still am soft as sh11te I didn’t.

I think that think goal shows Wednesdayite’s class compared to the L*eds fans. 

Kewell scores a really good goal against us at Hillsborough and he gets an applause. 
Fast forward 15 years and Matias scores a similar (but Technically better) goal at Elland Road and you look in the crowd and they are all giving him the rods, along with other selected hand gestures. 

I'm going back to when football fans generally behaved like decent human beings.

In 1962 Wednesday won 2-0 in a league match at Highbury.  They showed ten minute highlights of the game on Saturday night.  A half hour show in black and white. 10 minutes from each of 3 games picked.

Bronco Layne whacked in a 30 yard sizzler at the North bank end.  Every single Arsenal fan at that end appeared to applaud it.

That always stuck in my mind, and I've always thought their fans were decent, even though I was at both our 1993 Final defeats to them.

Sport was always about enjoyment and taking part when I was a kid. Now it's just about winning at any cost.  

Ps.  I think that was probably our last ever win at Highbury.  I've been there 5 or 6 times and it's not a happy hunting ground. 

Edited by Lincs Owl