13 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

A few people slating him, but I don’t think he’s that bad. 

Works hard, runs into the channels and has a bit of something on the ball. Made the keeper pull off a good save and win us a corner to see the game out.

Assist last week for the equaliser.

Am I missing something? Not a world beater but not this pub player some people are comparing him to.

I think he, like Wickham, looks a lot fitter after lockdown than he did before. With Bannan's shockingly poor corner deliveries, Da Cruz delivered two perfect ones last week and has looked much livelier, even getting back to help defend, so I think he may be worth a punt, if we can get him on the cheap.

Like you say, nothing too spectacular, but showing signs now of being a decent player.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, fudge27 said:

Has a yard of pace, but no aggression. Gets into good areas then plays all the way back instead of trying to best his man. There's a prospect there though

No aggression? I don't feel that is true. Flattened a defender last week

7 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

No aggression? I don't feel that is true. Flattened a defender last week

I don't mean aggression in a physical sense. I meant in an attacking instinctive sense. 

He reacts to through balls instead of being on the move (but that can be developed with experience) 

What stands out for me is 3 times today he got onto the ball, had his full back 1 on 1. There I want him to take his man on and deliver or cut inside open the overlap and drive in, instead he protects the ball, slows the game and plays the ball 35 yards back. That area needs to be better 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Miffed said:

I wouldn’t 

Rhodes and Wickham looked alright together. He might not always have the legs but Rhodes held the ball up well and the two looked like they could play off each other.

This. Fitness permitting give it them both till the end of the season. Looking decent enough at the moment now Wickham has started scoring. Would love it if Rhodes did too. I think a lot of people forget he’s not had a consistent run of games in any side for a number of years now. Let’s see what he can do with Wickham and no fans in the ground. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Works hard, runs into the channels and has a bit of something on the ball. Made the keeper pull off a good save and win us a corner to see the game out.

Am I missing something? Not a world beater but not this pub player some people are comparing him to.

We need to start adjusting our expectations. For SWFC, this is the new normal.

I'd rather give a chance to a rough diamond with a good attitude and workrate like da Cruz than some of the ageing primadonnas and trouble makers who have stolen a wage from us in recent seasons. As others have noted.he has got pace and a few tricks up his sleeve - if the coaching team can improve him we might have a decent player on our hands. Definitely worth a punt if we can get him on a free or minimal fee.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SallyCinnamon said:

You’re missing the fact that a few on here need a new scapegoat Sal.

The old ones are almost gone.

In my opinion, he's a much better option than Rhodes in this system.

Because the system relies on wide players coming from deep, we've struggled to cause teams too many issues when we've got possession. The majority of our dangerous attacks over the last couple of games have come from turnovers and counters. Rhodes and Wickham are both pretty static forwards, different, but both naturally don't run channels nor drag defenders around.

Da Cruz does that instinctively, because he's use to playing in those areas. For the last two games, I've felt we've looked more dangerous with him on the field, simply because he's dragged centre halves out wide, and allowed runners from midfield (Lee/Luongo) to occupy the vacated space.

There's something there. Whether it's enough to earn him a longer term deal, I don't know. But without doubt, he's got a role to play in the lat seven games of the season. Would've been nice if he could've capped off another encouraging cameo display with a goal towards the end today.

2 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

He is direct and runs at defenders. That's exactly what you want from attacking players. I've seen better, but I've seen a lot worse in a Wednesday shirt. Definitely worth persisting with as he is only a young lad and will improve. 

Edited by S36 OWL

Guest gizowl
2 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Never mind starting a new thread on a different player, what about finishing the one you started on Nuhui and applauding him for his fine contribution to our win today or can't you stomach a piece of humble pie?