GARRY MONK - All posts about the Sheffield Wednesday Manager in here

Just now, Ballmeist said:

I'm not a big fan of monk but I'd like to think I have a sense of reality in that he was probably the best we could get when we were last in the market for a manager. 

It was clear then we weren't an attractive proposition to managers and things have only got worse on the ffp investigation front, and our squad is all over the place. 

Those saying that we should sack monk immediately should be giving suggestions of realistic replacements. If we could get someone better I'd be up for moving monk on, but off the top of my head I can't think of a better replacement that would actually want the job! 

Sticking with Bullen until someone better appeared in the job market. 

5 hours ago, DirtyLeedsOwl said:

Mixed track record, you can put a spin on it either way to prove your point.

i just think you’ve got to treat people right and give them a chance of succeeding and therefore I’d like to seem him be given a chance to rebuild the squad, have a pre season and be able to bring in his own coaching staff.

if the team shows no improvement after all that then show him the door.

fact is, you can’t build anything if you keep chopping and changing managers all the time.

The problem is that this is such a pivotable moment. You don’t get many opportunities to totally revamp the squad, but that opportunity comes with a huge amount of responsibility. Say he overhauls the whole set up, players, coaching staff etc, and we don’t see any tangible improvement, what do we do then? 
I’m all for continuity, and I don’t like chopping and changing all the time, managers or players, but sometimes you have to work with what you have. So far, Monk has shown that he isn’t that type of manager. It’s essential, going forward, that we have such a manager, or else we have to go through the same process every 12 months. I’m not a fan of Monk, or the way he plays his football, and am more than a bit concerned that any new footballing philosophy overseen by him, won’t be something I can buy into. These remaining games will be key for me. If he can get us up the table, playing a better brand of football, and most importantly, avoid any confrontation, then I think, yes he deserves a chance to take us forward. No improvement, or disastrously, he takes us down, then surely we cannot contemplate allowing him to take on the rebuild

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

The problem is that this is such a pivotable moment. You don’t get many opportunities to totally revamp the squad, but that opportunity comes with a huge amount of responsibility. Say he overhauls the whole set up, players, coaching staff etc, and we don’t see any tangible improvement, what do we do then? 
I’m all for continuity, and I don’t like chopping and changing all the time, managers or players, but sometimes you have to work with what you have. So far, Monk has shown that he isn’t that type of manager. It’s essential, going forward, that we have such a manager, or else we have to go through the same process every 12 months. I’m not a fan of Monk, or the way he plays his football, and am more than a bit concerned that any new footballing philosophy overseen by him, won’t be something I can buy into. These remaining games will be key for me. If he can get us up the table, playing a better brand of football, and most importantly, avoid any confrontation, then I think, yes he deserves a chance to take us forward. No improvement, or disastrously, he takes us down, then surely we cannot contemplate allowing him to take on the rebuild

Absolutely spot on, the  next appointment is key.

1 hour ago, Ballmeist said:

Those saying that we should sack monk immediately should be giving suggestions of realistic replacements. If we could get someone better I'd be up for moving monk on, but off the top of my head I can't think of a better replacement that would actually want the job! 

With that i'd say any manager that has a single ounce of motivational ability in them and prefers team success to their own ego.  Monk, has neither.

I’m reading Harry Redknapp‘s book and he talks about how managers were given time to build a team back in the 70 & 80’s and as we know managers get about 8 months on average now.  I’m all for giving manager time but the crux is you have to be backing the right manager during that time.  So far Monk hasn’t really shown anything in his previous jobs or his time with us that makes you think, yes this guy is special.  

Big 9 games coming up as there surely has to be some improvement given our better players are available again and they’ve had 3 months to rest and learn about Monk’s philosophy 

Brilliant post by ashley8 in my view:

Wanted him to work at first because he played for us. However we did well first half of season playing awful. But we did so stomach it as long as we are up there. Hate crap football but hoped it was just until he got us football.  Never came. Then publicly attacked players. Showed he is not good enough, telling players they have to be mentally strong focusing on their mentality. Lacking the ability to take responsibility. Destroying his control with players by at Christmas telling those who were not getting contracts and seeming to say on the radio he can only do honest. Utter dog do in football today. GO GO GO. Get rid shows he is single minded and time has proved he is not a manager for today's football he's an 80's throw back and hence the awful football tactics and man management of Trump. His comments on team to the media ended any hope for me. There is no way we want to give him the decision on players going or coming in. Simply because he should have already gone by now should have after the fall out after Stoke. 

Chansiri use the time to find someone else

Guest LittleG
2 hours ago, Ballmeist said:

I'm not a big fan of monk but I'd like to think I have a sense of reality in that he was probably the best we could get when we were last in the market for a manager. 

It was clear then we weren't an attractive proposition to managers and things have only got worse on the ffp investigation front, and our squad is all over the place. 

The problem with trying to name a replacement is that we, as a club, will only consider managers that are currently unemployed and most of them are unemployed for a very good reason. But even though our choices are restricted, we will have to fish from this pool if Monk can't get the team firing, playing football and picking up points in the remaining matches; he may not even get to see all the matches through.

54 minutes ago, Belfast Owl 2 said:

Making decisions people may not agree with:

Playing Forestieri at left wing back

Where would you play him in a 3-5-2? His record whilst playing upfront in a 2 is terrible so you can’t play him there. You can’t play him at wingback. The whole point of the formation is to keep 3 central midfielders so you aren’t outnumbered, if you play him in there then the other 2 will be too stretched defensively and we don’t have the athleticism in our midfield to accommodate this so where do you play him? 

32 minutes ago, 83owl said:

Where would you play him in a 3-5-2? His record whilst playing upfront in a 2 is terrible so you can’t play him there. You can’t play him at wingback. The whole point of the formation is to keep 3 central midfielders so you aren’t outnumbered, if you play him in there then the other 2 will be too stretched defensively and we don’t have the athleticism in our midfield to accommodate this so where do you play him? 

Forestieri needs to play with somebody who is on a similar wavelength. He had no problem playing with Hooper did he, even Joao, and occasionally Nuhiu. If Forestieri gives you the ball and breaks into the box, he expects to get it back straight away. 

18 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Forestieri needs to play with somebody who is on a similar wavelength. He had no problem playing with Hooper did he, even Joao, and occasionally Nuhiu. If Forestieri gives you the ball and breaks into the box, he expects to get it back straight away. 

Hooper or joao don’t play for us anymore. Fans have a meltdown every time nuhiu starts a game and to be honest isn’t good enough to start for any team that seriously wants promotion.

My own opinion on Monk is well known on here and I think the tide of opinion seems to be against him at the moment?

That said does anyone genuinely thinks he’s up to the job here and expects him to still be in charge this time next year?

21 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

How many managers have we ever appointed with a record that you would have approved of?

And how many managers get promoted for the first time, having never done it befroe?

Big Ron, Wilco was a gamble ( but had a promotion in his previous season at Notts county) Big Jack, obviously, Steve Bruce. Danny Wilson.Erm that’s about it. And that’s why we’ve been poo for most of the fifty years I’ve been a wednesdayite. Think the only other one with any sort of cv was pleat, but the less said about that the better.

so yes, our three most successful managers in my life time all came with a record that showed they knew what they were doing.

And then there’s the rest, so many incapable of running a big club, but we appoint them and hope for the best.

I keep asking but what on monks cv makes you think he has got what it takes to build a good team here.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ballmeist said:

Ryan Lowe

• Haha 1

Personally I can’t see Monk going anywhere, I just hope he has already made his mind up on what players he wants out of the club (hopefully the majority) and he doesn’t change his mind and keep them no matter what happens between now and the end of the season. The fact is for the majority of their contracts most haven’t been anywhere near good enough and what happens in the remaining 9 games should not change that. 

35 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

Personally I can’t see Monk going anywhere, I just hope he has already made his mind up on what players he wants out of the club (hopefully the majority) and he doesn’t change his mind and keep them no matter what happens between now and the end of the season. The fact is for the majority of their contracts most haven’t been anywhere near good enough and what happens in the remaining 9 games should not change that. 

Apart from the two play off seasons obviously.