GARRY MONK - All posts about the Sheffield Wednesday Manager in here

36 minutes ago, Plonk said:

TBH Niel I don’t care how many times he’s been sacked. I care about what he’s done at his previous clubs as a good indicator of what he’s capable of achieving.

How many managers have we ever appointed with a record that you would have approved of?

And how many managers get promoted for the first time, having never done it befroe?

Owlstalk Shop

8 minutes ago, Owls Loyal said:

I agree 100% with Plonk.

Monk was fired by Swansea, Boro and Brum and has not even achieved a Play Off finish.

When he is fired by SWFC , hopefully in the summere, he may pick up a League 1 or 2 job. 

He also couldn’t get Leeds in the play offs - despite being 11pts clear of 7th at the end of March 

• Like 1

Wanted him to work at first because he played for us. However we did well first half of season playing awful. But we did so stomach it as long as we are up there. Hate crap football but hoped it was just until he got us football.  Never came. Then publicly attacked players. Showed he is not good enough, telling players they have to be mentally strong focusing on their mentality. Lacking the ability to take responsibility. Destroying his control with players by at Christmas telling those who were not getting contracts and seeming to say on the radio he can only do honest. Utter dog do in football today. GO GO GO. Get rid shows he is single minded and time has proved he is not a manager for today's football he's an 80's throw back and hence the awful football tactics and man management of Trump. His comments on team to the media ended any hope for me. There is no way we want to give him the decision on players going or coming in. Simply because he should have already gone by now should have after the fall out after Stoke. 

Chansiri use the time to find someone else. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, EcclesallOwl said:

I completely agree and I’ve always been an advocate of changing managers, not just keeping them for the sake of it. And look, I’m not even the biggest Monk fan - you can find a thread on here whilst we were doing well where we discussed if he was the right man for the job and questioned his subs/tactics.

However, this is a man who’s managed in the Premier League (& done well). Managed 3 Championship clubs and down well at 2 - was shocking at Boro (not doing any better now though).

He obviously knows things need to change and these players aren’t good enough - was he wrong to admit it so early on in the season? Probably. But everyone praised him for slating the players after the embarrassing performance at Wigan.

Just doesn’t sit right with me to sack another manager who’s been failed by this sh*t show of a squad.

We could give him time to rebuild and he could fail. We could give him time to rebuild and he could succeed. Time will only tell - and no matter how many people shout and tell us that we’re definitely going to fail with him in charge, no one knows.

Good post. You’re right, no one does know and that’s sort of the beauty of it. Also I wouldn’t say he did well at Leeds. They were 11pts clear in the play offs late March and he completely ballsed up their run in and finished 7th

He’ll need 12-18pts from these 9 games to even have me slightly convinced he is the man to take us into next season. 

We’re not going to have a huge overhaul in playing staff, and if the last few days are anything to go by it seems a few will be extending. Which makes his comments after the Wigan game even more bizarre 

I would get rid of FF, Nuhiu, Winnall, Hutch and replace with younger and better 

Murphy I’d definitely try and get back if possible. Da Cruz - not a prayer, Windass I wouldn’t extend either. Wickham I’ll reserve judgement for now 

• Like 1

On 03/06/2020 at 19:01, Tea Baggins said:

Putting ability aside its because one keeps his head down and cracks on, the other is vocal and isn't afraid to kick off. As we have all seen.

And cos one is always available to play and the other is often suspended or injured. Id take 25 games at hutch's level with Pessy as a backup tho if i were Monk - he appears to want a good player 0 amount of the time instead of half the time.

Edited by Daizan10

6 hours ago, Jim said:

Maybe? Maybe not? It would be another nail in his managerial coffin here. I’m out of Nails, so I’m going to see if Martin has any in his shed?

It'll  be with his tin of meat..

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

Good post. You’re right, no one does know and that’s sort of the beauty of it. Also I wouldn’t say he did well at Leeds. They were 11pts clear in the play offs late March and he completely ballsed up their run in and finished 7th

He’ll need 12-18pts from these 9 games to even have me slightly convinced he is the man to take us into next season. 

We’re not going to have a huge overhaul in playing staff, and if the last few days are anything to go by it seems a few will be extending. Which makes his comments after the Wigan game even more bizarre 

I would get rid of FF, Nuhiu, Winnall, Hutch and replace with younger and better 

Murphy I’d definitely try and get back if possible. Da Cruz - not a prayer, Windass I wouldn’t extend either. Wickham I’ll reserve judgement for now 

I get the point about Leeds, they did absolutely crumble (the start of the Leeds are falling apart business?) and from that perspective he didn’t do a good job, however they were a mess when he joined and managed to get them in and around the play offs which was seen as a success at the time - don’t think he got sacked at Leeds either, pretty sure he resigned? Either way I can see why people class it as a failure which is fair enough.

I still live in hope that we will see a massive overhaul in playing stuff but time will tell - agree with everything else you’ve said!

Edited by EcclesallOwl

By that token Bielsa is a rubbish manager because his team choked last season, fell out of the automatics & lost in the playoffs. There was obviously something wrong with the mentality at Leeds that caused the team to fold under pressure as it was happening rather a lot - snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. Maybe having experienced that sort of fragile mindset Monk is better placed than most to be able to spot it in our squad - hence the need for a comprehensive rebuilding process.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EcclesallOwl said:

I get the point about Leeds, they did absolutely crumble (the start of the Leeds are falling apart business?) and from that perspective he didn’t do a good job, however they were a mess when he joined and managed to get them in and around the play offs which was seen as a success at the time - don’t think he got sacked at Leeds either, pretty sure he resigned? Either way I can see why people class it as a failure which is fair enough.

I still live in hope that we will see a massive overhaul in playing stuff but time will tell - agree with everything else you’ve said!

He left Leeds because he fell out with key people at the club, same at Birmingham. He got sacked by Swansea because after a good start things went downhill after not too long and at Boro he got sacked because his usual good initial start never happened, he wasted a summer transfer window spending loads that didn't work and fell out with key players.

There's a pattern to his managerial record and it isn't one of success beyond a few months at any point.  

10 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

He left Leeds because he fell out with key people at the club, same at Birmingham. He got sacked by Swansea because after a good start things went downhill after not too long and at Boro he got sacked because his usual good initial start never happened, he wasted a summer transfer window spending loads that didn't work and fell out with key players.

There's a pattern to his managerial record and it isn't one of success beyond a few months at any point.  

I think saying he got sacked by Swansea “after a good start” is slightly underselling him - he took over as player/manager mid-way through a season and kept them up. His first full season he finished 8th with them and then the following season was sacked whilst in 15th.

He resigned from Leeds following the takeover of Radrizanni - who wanted to keep him.

Like I said previously, his spell at Boro was shocking.

He fell out with Birmingham’s Chief Exec after they sold Jota, as well as the Brum owners apparently not happy with the style of play (understandable if it was the same as we’ve seen). Similar has just happened to Clotet.

I can see why people don’t want him - I’d rather we keep him - no drama.

1 minute ago, EcclesallOwl said:

I think saying he got sacked by Swansea “after a good start” is slightly underselling him - he took over as player/manager mid-way through a season and kept them up. His first full season he finished 8th with them and then the following season was sacked whilst in 15th.

He resigned from Leeds following the takeover of Radrizanni - who wanted to keep him.

Like I said previously, his spell at Boro was shocking.

He fell out with Birmingham’s Chief Exec after they sold Jota, as well as the Brum owners apparently not happy with the style of play (understandable if it was the same as we’ve seen). Similar has just happened to Clotet.

I can see why people don’t want him - I’d rather we keep him - no drama.

Never said there was a drama, just having a debate.

Seems strange that he chose to leave a club on the up who wanted to keep him in the case of Leeds. 

Fair enough on Swansea, he did have one good season with them but they had decent tools to work with, they finished 9th and won the League Cup the season before he took over and improved to 12th after he had been sacked.

It clearly wasn't just the owners at Birmingham he fell out with, he no longer speaks to the man he did his best work with. He also fell out with players at Middlesbrough who were reintroduced to good effect after he left.

If he had shown signs of what his plan was in the way we play or his choice of players then I could perhaps understand wanting to give him a chance. He slagged the players off at Wigan, perhaps rightly so and as you say received some praise for this - but has picked from largely the same bunch since and has got similar if not worse results and performances, so it seemingly didn't have any positive impact yet he continues to pick the same players he slated. One of the few changes he did make was playing Forestieri at wing-back - surely as surprising to the squad when he made this decision as it was to the rest of us. This plan was brought to an end after 45 minutes - an all to often trait of his, needing to sub players for tactical reasons at half-time, never known a manager get his starting approach wrong so often in that respect.

If we come out in the next 9 games playing a style of football that wouldn't want you to shut the curtains if they were playing in your back garden and if we don't continue to defend in a way that would be embarrassing for a League Two side then that will be an improvement.

We all know we need a clear out of an aging squad .. you can't have players not training and turning up to play.....many of these players have under performed for over 2 seasons now ...

Lets remember the majority of these players are not monks and lets face it at one point even Bullen had washed his hands and said it needed a new manager !!

It's ironic that he sorted out the bad eggs at Birmingham and then got them in play off positions before the points deduction ... them players would run through brick walls for him ... so what's different ... overpaid players with egos?

I have to admin It not been good but let judge him after his own pre-season and players ... or might even be after these last 9 games if things don't improve !

5 minutes ago, S25OWL said:

We all know we need a clear out of an aging squad .. you can't have players not training and turning up to play.....many of these players have under performed for over 2 seasons now ...

Lets remember the majority of these players are not monks and lets face it at one point even Bullen had washed his hands and said it needed a new manager !!

It's ironic that he sorted out the bad eggs at Birmingham and then got them in play off positions before the points deduction ... them players would run through brick walls for him ... so what's different ... overpaid players with egos?

I have to admin It not been good but let judge him after his own pre-season and players ... or might even be after these last 9 games if things don't improve !

Bit of an exaggeration. Birmingham dropped from 13th to 18th when the points deduction hit - didn't know 13th got you into the play-offs.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47667742

They have done very similar under Monk's assistant this season, a manager who has no real managerial experience to speak of. 

Guest Ronson

Of course it is Garry, and you'll be judged by the decisions you make, I wish you well. Good luck. You're going to need it I fear.

Mixed track record, you can put a spin on it either way to prove your point.

i just think you’ve got to treat people right and give them a chance of succeeding and therefore I’d like to seem him be given a chance to rebuild the squad, have a pre season and be able to bring in his own coaching staff.

if the team shows no improvement after all that then show him the door.

fact is, you can’t build anything if you keep chopping and changing managers all the time.

I honestly believe he wasn't our first choice target, and in many respects was a bit of make poo/hopeful sort of appointment.

I've struggled to warm to him, his tactics and his team selections.

He has alienated players and his results have been woeful, I genuinely believe covid saved his job and I'm hoping beyond hope our manager has done something right for once and used this time constructively to find a replacement.

I'm not a big fan of monk but I'd like to think I have a sense of reality in that he was probably the best we could get when we were last in the market for a manager. 

It was clear then we weren't an attractive proposition to managers and things have only got worse on the ffp investigation front, and our squad is all over the place. 

Those saying that we should sack monk immediately should be giving suggestions of realistic replacements. If we could get someone better I'd be up for moving monk on, but off the top of my head I can't think of a better replacement that would actually want the job!