GARRY MONK - All posts about the Sheffield Wednesday Manager in here

2 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Did you expect him to say Monk hasn't got a clue and doesn't care about any attention to detail? Look what has happened to those who challenge his approach.

Any club that has given him a pre season to work with have got rid of him within months, giving him more time is wasting more time, much like it was with Jos. 

Personally found it to be quite an honest interview myself, not often I read footballers saying that their own managers work has “not paid off yet” and that ONCE it all clicks together we’ll be good. Hardly the usual guff from players saying they and the club is fantastic. But each to their own I suppose. We’ll have to wait and see how the team performs for the rest of this season. But yes, if we continue to be rubbish then Monk should go after the 9 games is over.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Owls-Fan said:

Personally found it to be quite an honest interview myself, not often I read footballers saying that their own managers work has “not paid off yet” and that ONCE it all clicks together we’ll be good. Hardly the usual guff from players saying they and the club is fantastic. But each to their own I suppose. We’ll have to wait and see how the team performs for the rest of this season. But yes, if we continue to be rubbish then Monk should go after the 9 games is over.

It is fairly obvious to anyone who has seen us play since Christmas that his work has not paid off! 

Guest LittleG
13 hours ago, Owls-Fan said:

Quite an interesting interview with Odubajo about Monk today.  Obviously might be trying to win favour with his boss to get back into the side but otherwise it’s good to read.  As Owls fans we have to cling on to any glimmer of hope right now that the manager is actually good and that it’s other circumstances that have gone against him.   We shall see 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/sheffield-wednesday-defender-backs-garry-monks-methods-ahead-big-restart-2884103%3famp

Odubajo is trying to turn things around for himself at S6, what did you really expect him to say? It's the same when other players have come out and supported Monk; not one of them are going to say trainings poor, no tactics, Monk is aloof doesn't know what he's doing. They have to back the manager when asked.

I’m a bit confused as to how people expect a club to rebuild with a certain manager if you keep sacking them

We’re sh*t at the moment - that’s the whole point. We aren’t meant to be any good. We need a massive clear out. We’re still wondering why we’re sh*t after watching the same players fail year after year. 

Sack Monk off but desperate to keep Fletcher? Another failure on a massive wage? Best season he’s ever had with 13 goals?

Everything is sh*t right now but a lot can change in one summer. Give the man some time to rebuild.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

On 15/06/2020 at 20:57, EcclesallOwl said:

I’m a bit confused as to how people expect a club to rebuild with a certain manager if you keep sacking them

We’re sh*t at the moment - that’s the whole point. We aren’t meant to be any good. We need a massive clear out. We’re still wondering why we’re sh*t after watching the same players fail year after year. 

Sack Monk off but desperate to keep Fletcher? Another failure on a massive wage? Best season he’s ever had with 13 goals?

Everything is sh*t right now but a lot can change in one summer. Give the man some time to rebuild.

I'm a bit confused as to why you think Monk is the right man to rebuild the team, what is his managerial career suggests he is? Just because we need to rebuild you shouldn't keep someone in for the sake of it. The football style is akin to under Jos, if not worse - we gave him more time after a decent end to the season and wasted another season as a result. 

The manager should show signs of what he is trying to do and positive points even when things aren't great, what positives can you take from the football we have played in 2020? After a good start he is regressing, as he has done within a similar time period in most of his jobs to date. 

As for Fletcher being a failure - goals aren't the only barometer of a striker these days and Fletcher offers far more. He has clearly been missed this year and has offered better value for money than a few of his peers over his time with us. Never shirks and his injuries have sometimes been the result of getting stuck in where others shy away. His goals in the run in to the end of the 2016-17 season were vital and had he not been subbed off against Huddersfield we would have stood a far better chance of seeing the result through, he certainly would have stood up and taken a spot kick as well.  

On 16/06/2020 at 05:57, EcclesallOwl said:

Because he's so good at rebuilding... 

Should never have been given the job in the first place. 

• Like 6

On 15/06/2020 at 20:57, EcclesallOwl said:

You don’t keep a manager solely on the basis of seeking longevity. Monk has proven here and elsewhere that he’s tactically void and can’t manage players. He’s not the man and never has been. But who do we bring in? I have no effin clue, there’s people paid for that 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

Can’t see it. DC clearly hates the burden of changing managers 

You may be right. That said I don’t think Monk will hang around much longer particularly if we go down.

46 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

Can’t see it. DC clearly hates the burden of changing managers 

I think DC sees having to sack them as an admission of failure, that he's got something wrong. 

Can be the only explanation for why he kept Carlos and Jos on far longer than they should have been. 

Unfortunately, he's dropped another clanger with Monk. Why on why you'd think this is the guy to rebuild you team is beyond me.

• Like 3

Guest wilyfox
13 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Now call me a cynic Jim, but I'm starting to get a nagging feeling in my bones that you might not rate Garry Monk?

lol

Jim must have lumped on Rowett. 

16 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Now call me a cynic Jim, but I'm starting to get a nagging feeling in my bones that you might not rate Garry Monk?

lol

Shalom.

13 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

I think Jim's efforts even outdo mine when it comes to my hate obsession with Trevor Francis

lol

I don't know, I hope Jim might have got over his issues with Monk in 25 years time! Monkmanface

Such a bellend comment.  He’s always on that belligerent defensive.  I don’t like him at all.

You just know that if you’ve seen the Blackpool tower, he’s seen the Eiffel Tower (and got kicked out of it for arguing with a Frenchman about how it should have been constructed).

• Like 1

No fan of Monk, or more importantly, the way he has us playing, but the one ray of hope for me, if he is to be in charge of the rebuild, is the players we have been linked with. Yes it could just be press speculation, but of the dozen or so players I’ve seen us linked with, they would all seem to fit the bill. 
They are generally younger players with a little bit about them, far from the finished article, but with a good chance making progress here at Wednesday They also fit the new budget reality. 
The hope is, that Monk may get this rebuild right, and once he has the players he wants, and perhaps the coaching staff, the football might improve. If he can then curb his penchant to self destruct, he may end up winning us doubters over. As a Wednesday fan first and foremost, I certainly don’t want him to fail just to prove my reservations were correct We will need stability during this rebuilding upheaval, if that makes sense, so everyone needs to be pulling in the same direction, including me

Edited by gurujuan
  • Love 2