GARRY MONK - All posts about the Sheffield Wednesday Manager in here

7 minutes ago, Plonk said:

Apart from the two play off seasons obviously. 

This team we have now looks a lot different to our play off final team but Nuhiu never been good enough, Fox not been good enough for the majority of his contract, looked better this season but I still don’t know if he should be our number 1 LB Lee since his injuries doesn’t look anywhere near the same player, FF not been consistent enough for the last season and a bit. Goalkeeper department needs a new number 1. We are so weak all over the pitch, play off seasons where a long time ago now and when it mattered the players let us down. 

Edited by WalthamOwl
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

It was one game.

He never did it again

You don't say! Why would he do it again? Why did he do it in the first place.

As it happens it didn't even last one game, he gave it 45 minutes before conceding he got it wrong, as he has done many times. 

13 hours ago, WalthamOwl said:

This team we have now looks a lot different to our play off final team but Nuhiu never been good enough, Fox not been good enough for the majority of his contract, looked better this season but I still don’t know if he should be our number 1 LB Lee since his injuries doesn’t look anywhere near the same player, FF not been consistent enough for the last season and a bit. Goalkeeper department needs a new number 1. We are so weak all over the pitch, play off seasons where a long time ago now and when it mattered the players let us down. 

My comment was in response to them not being good enough during their contracts. My point being Westwood Hutch Lee FF Lees were the backbone of the team that came so close for two seasons and gave us some of the best football of the the last twenty years. Yes it may be time to move on, and I understand rewriting history is currently very popular, but let’s not forget what these players gave us due to our current plight

• Like 1

On 19/06/2020 at 06:41, Tommo_ said:

Sticking with Bullen until someone better appeared in the job market. 

Bullen has proven to be pretty average over the few short spells he’s had in charge. It’s not normal or healthy for a club to rely on an assistant manager stepping in on such a frequent basis. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, LittleG said:

The problem with trying to name a replacement is that we, as a club, will only consider managers that are currently unemployed and most of them are unemployed for a very good reason. But even though our choices are restricted, we will have to fish from this pool if Monk can't get the team firing, playing football and picking up points in the remaining matches; he may not even get to see all the matches through.

It’s a fair point about recruiting managers currently out of work. It’s a pretty flawed system as most managers that are out of work frequently are not successful ones. I can only assume it’s because chansiri doesn’t want to pay compo, but if we’re going to spend money anywhere I’d rather it be on a decent manager. 

The depressing thought for me is that I just don’t know who we could get if we got rid of monk. I’m afraid for me it’s just another example of how poorly our club is being ran these days. Most clubs are succession planning, we can even organise our current squad and staff.

49 minutes ago, Ballmeist said:

It’s a fair point about recruiting managers currently out of work. It’s a pretty flawed system as most managers that are out of work frequently are not successful ones. I can only assume it’s because chansiri doesn’t want to pay compo, but if we’re going to spend money anywhere I’d rather it be on a decent manager. 

The depressing thought for me is that I just don’t know who we could get if we got rid of monk. I’m afraid for me it’s just another example of how poorly our club is being ran these days. Most clubs are succession planning, we can even organise our current squad and staff.

Royal Lowe has done a pretty good job so far. Would love to see him as coach with an older head dof or assistant. 

1 hour ago, Ballmeist said:

Bullen has proven to be pretty average over the few short spells he’s had in charge. It’s not normal or healthy for a club to rely on an assistant manager stepping in on such a frequent basis. 

He wouldn't have to if we didn't keep hiring uninspiring and god awful managers.

11 minutes ago, Plonk said:

Royal Lowe has done a pretty good job so far. Would love to see him as coach with an older head dof or assistant. 

Yep, theres the answer. 

2 promotions in 2 years as manager. Would jump at the chance to manage us. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Eaton_Swfc said:

Yep, theres the answer. 

2 promotions in 2 years as manager. Would jump at the chance to manage us. 

Not sure he is the answer but people were asking for suggestions. Done well at two different clubs so obviously got something. Young and ambitious and from the interview I read would run here barefoot. My reservation is he’s done it small clubs and this is a big step up. If we go down I would give it him. If we stay up I would like him with someone to guide him a bit. Don’t know who is back room staff are but Megson Wilko figure in the background just to ease him through might make it work. Would rather try it than stick with monk. 

3 minutes ago, Plonk said:

Not sure he is the answer but people were asking for suggestions. Done well at two different clubs so obviously got something. Young and ambitious and from the interview I read would run here barefoot. My reservation is he’s done it small clubs and this is a big step up. If we go down I would give it him. If we stay up I would like him with someone to guide him a bit. Don’t know who is back room staff are but Megson Wilko figure in the background just to ease him through might make it work. Would rather try it than stick with monk. 

Only way Monk isnt here next season is if he gets us relegated.

6 minutes ago, Plonk said:

Probably how I feel. If we are relegated, it would be the perfect opportunity to appoint someone like Ryan Lowe. 

2:00pm Today. A defining time in Garry Monk’s managerial career not just in his time here.

The announcement of today’s team will see him either given some more time in the eyes of the fan base or completely shoot to pieces his standing as the Manager of Sheffield Wednesday.

Has he got the b*ll**ks to admit he was wrong in playing the likes of Dawson, Pelupessy and Da Cruz every week despite the obvious signs to everyone else that we were falling apart at the seems or has the last three months break caused by a global pandemic given him the opportunity to see that he was way off beam with his team selections and tactics?

Garry Monk, it’s over to you.

PS. I totally expect to be screaming ‘Sh!t on it’ continuously from 2:00pm onwards today.

Edited by Jim
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Plonk said:

It's a fair summary that I think. Not the definitive answer but certainly an option to consider. My reservation would obviously be the level he has worked at and when Lowe has been discussed previously comparisons were made to Paul Hurst - the step up to the Championship didn't work for him on the back of success in the lower leagues.

What would he be like man-managing higher earners with bigger ego's? We've got a few of those. Having said that, our current manager got a Premier League job having had no managerial experience at all because he was in the right place at the right time at a club with a good foundation to work with at the time. Aside from one good season at a club he was vary familiar with, he has no experience of building a successful dressing room for a sustained period with a mix of characters either. 

I've said before that I think Mick McCarthy would be a good option for us. He knows the league, has worked with a vast array of characters and has had relative success at this level with different sized budgets. His style of football is not always pleasing on the eye but can often be attributed to the budget and players he has at his disposal - he has not been averse to having creative players in his teams when available. His track record indicates he is more likely to be better in terms of results at this level than we are currently and the style of football under Monk has hardly been entertaining even when it was effective.

The problem for any long term consideration at the moment is the EFL case. Many managers worth their salt would be reluctant to take this job until the outcome of the case is decided, once that happens we will be a more attractive proposition if the ruling doesn't affect our Championship status or leave us starting next season with a significant points deduction.

On this basis for the remainder of this season it seems that Monk or Bullen are the only realistic options.   

Just now, @owlstalk said:

You still all angrymad about Monk Jim?

Yes my friend. As my earlier post suggested I suspect come 2:00pm I’ll be reaching for the razor blades 😳

Do you still expect to be so positive once the three stooges take to the field? Monk’s version of a comedy classic is a complete tragedy 😞

7 minutes ago, Jim said:

2:00pm Today. A defining time in Garry Monk’s managerial career not just in his time here.

The announcement of today’s team will see him either given some more time in the eyes of the fan base or completely shoot to pieces his standing as the Manager of Sheffield Wednesday.

Has he got the b*ll**ks to admit he was wrong in playing the likes of Dawson, Pelupessy and Da Cruz every week despite the obvious signs to everyone else that we were falling apart at the seems or has the last three months break caused by a global pandemic given him the opportunity to see that he was way off beam with his team selections and tactics?

Garry Monk, it’s over to you.

PS. I totally expect to be screaming ‘Sh!t on it’ continuously from 2:00pm onwards today.

be very surprised if he has the balls to drop Dawson. Hope to go people like Pelupessy and Cruz are nowhere near the starting 11. Awful awful players. 

Just now, WalthamOwl said:

be very surprised if he has the balls to drop Dawson. Hope to go people like Pelupessy and Cruz are nowhere near the starting 11. Awful awful players. 

See he’s done exactly what Lukuhay did. He’s put all his eggs in one basket behind Dawson (which he’d probably drop by the way?) to such an extent, if he drops him, he probably feels it would make him look weak and stupid even though in reality he would make him look like he can admit to

getting things wrong and that he can look to find hopefully a better solution? Let’s face we don’t get everything right in life and I’m always wrong even when I’m right?

Persevering with Dawson went a long long way to getting Lukuhay the sack. Monk has to drop Dawson to avoid the same happening to him IMO?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jim said:

See he’s done exactly what Lukuhay did. He’s put all his eggs in one basket behind Dawson (which he’d probably drop by the way?) to such an extent, if he drops him, he probably feels it would make him look weak and stupid even though in reality he would make him look like he can admit to

getting things wrong and that he can look to find hopefully a better solution? Let’s face we don’t get everything right in life and I’m always wrong even when I’m right?

Persevering with Dawson went a long long way to getting Lukuhay the sack. Monk has to drop Dawson to avoid the same happening to him IMO?

Trouble is Jim that would mean bringing in an even less experienced keeper in wilsmith or admitting he was wrong and bringing back Westwood. I know what I would prefer. But I know what will happen

7 minutes ago, Plonk said:

Trouble is Jim that would mean bringing in an even less experienced keeper in wilsmith or admitting he was wrong and bringing back Westwood. I know what I would prefer. But I know what will happen

Wildsmith at one time was a better prospect than Dawson. I remember the first real season, he played regularly (the season Carlos left) he was arguably one of our stand out performers.

Ar the end of that season Lukuhay decided to give Dawson a run for 3 or 4 games. He did ok but he didn’t do anything to show he was markedly better than Wildsmith, yet the following season he’s given the number one jersey and he was an utter car crash.

He made a few appearances in the team this season around September-November where he was ok, nothing special but ok. He gets the regular gig around Christmas time and once again is an utter car crash and to top it all he gets a four year contract where the club have arguably said you’re our goalkeeping future. I ask anyone to prove to me that he has shown anything to suggest he’s championship class. I can’t remember a keeper who is on the receiving end of as many hammering’s as this one.

I think given a fair crack of the whip Wildsmith will prove he’s the better prospect?

• Like 1