GARRY MONK - All posts about the Sheffield Wednesday Manager in here

3 hours ago, Jim said:

Wildsmith at one time was a better prospect than Dawson. I remember the first real season, he played regularly (the season Carlos left) he was arguably one of our stand out performers.

Ar the end of that season Lukuhay decided to give Dawson a run for 3 or 4 games. He did ok but he didn’t do anything to show he was markedly better than Wildsmith, yet the following season he’s given the number one jersey and he was an utter car crash.

He made a few appearances in the team this season around September-November where he was ok, nothing special but ok. He gets the regular gig around Christmas time and once again is an utter car crash and to top it all he gets a four year contract where the club have arguably said you’re our goalkeeping future. I ask anyone to prove to me that he has shown anything to suggest he’s championship class. I can’t remember a keeper who is on the receiving end of as many hammering’s as this one.

I think given a fair crack of the whip Wildsmith will prove he’s the better prospect?

You must be gutted Wildsmith plays and we get a point against a team in the play offs...cyanide chaser ?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, daveyboy66 said:

You must be gutted Wildsmith plays and we get a point against a team in the play offs...cyanide chaser ?

I'm disappointed we didn't win a game we were clearly the better side in up until the manager chose to make two strange substitutions that turned the game in their favour. 

This club will go nowhere whilst ever Monk is here.

He lacks everything that is needed to be a manager we are going backwards and if Chansiri is serious about Wednesday he needs to start acting sooner rather then later.

• Love 1

2 minutes ago, Jim said:

17 home goals in 19 games.

13 home goals in 16 games under Monk.

I remember Stuart Gray getting sacked for a similar home record in season 2014/15. 

24th out of 24 teams for home goals in the first half - 4 in 19 games, half of which came in 3 games under Bullen. 

Played better today which was encouraging but also got closer to the relegation zone as a result of our form now moving to 2 wins in 15 league games. 

10 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

24th out of 24 teams for home goals in the first half - 4 in 19 games, half of which came in 3 games under Bullen. 

Played better today which was encouraging but also got closer to the relegation zone as a result of our form now moving to 2 wins in 15 league games. 

The equaliser was crucial as a defeat today would’ve put us further in the mire. He was braver with the team selection than I thought he would be but he’s not the man for the long term. The longer he stays the more he and the chairman are taking the p!$$?

Just now, hirstyboywonder said:

where are we in goals scored second half ?...…..

2 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

Dont mind if Monk goes, wont look back on his time as manager with any fondness.

But anyone who thinks changing manager is the extant of Wednesday's problems then they are being naive.

A culture change is needed - and we can't change right from the top because the owner's ego is too great.

That doesn't mean a change cant be brought about though.

A true DOF could instigate the change required but the process needs to be started now, with a look to change top to bottom and some strong loyal names probably have to be on the list to go too to make the change. 

In some ways, with a strong DOF, the head coach is almost just a voice for what is above.    

Edited by HarryPlopper

4 minutes ago, torryowl said:

where are we in goals scored second half ?...…..

Much better - unfortunately by that point the game has gone and we are scoring a consolation goal or scraping a point. When was the last time we scored 2 at home? Not good that it is difficult to remember when clean sheets aren't exactly our forte. 

We have scored 1 goal in the first half of our last 13 home games and when that goals went in we were already 2 goals down. 

2 wins in 15 is a stat in my post you seem to have glossed over.....

Edited by Guest

Just now, matthefish2002 said:

Dont mind if Monk goes, wont look back on his time as manager with any fondness.

But anyone who thinks changing manager is the extant of Wednesday's problems then they are being naive.

I really don't care who the manager is …..no doubt monk will be sacked before the year is out and we'll be on our 6th manager under chansiri since he arrived 5 years ago ,...…. how can you build a squad when you change managers so often ?...….its crazy to expect one manager liking the players the previous manager did but cant get shot of them because they have good contracts and then gets pelters from the fans for not playing them even though they have achieved feck all . ….

Just now, hirstyboywonder said:

Much better - unfortunately by that point the game has gone and we are scoring a consolation goal or scraping a point. When was the last time we scored 2 at home? Not good that it is difficult to remember when clean sheets aren't exactly our forte. 

We have scored 1 goal in the first half of our last 13 home games and when that goals went in we were already 2 goals down. 

2 wins in 15 is a stat in my post you seem to have glossed over.....

we are what we are a mid table team ...9 points from the playoffs and relegation . ...everyone says x is no good ,,y is crap and cant believe z as got a new contract and then expect us to do well ……while we operate under the confines we operate in nothing will change for the better …..you could sack monk tomorrow and we'd be having this argument this time next year for the next poor sap that gets appointed .

3 minutes ago, torryowl said:

we are what we are a mid table team ...9 points from the playoffs and relegation . ...everyone says x is no good ,,y is crap and cant believe z as got a new contract and then expect us to do well ……while we operate under the confines we operate in nothing will change for the better …..you could sack monk tomorrow and we'd be having this argument this time next year for the next poor sap that gets appointed .

Monk has not shown any signs of improving many players or the performance of the team as a whole - that's his job and that's what I will judge him on. He has no record of sustained success or making the most of a summer transfer window at this level and I'd rather not give him that opportunity here as we are likely to end up in the same position as we did with Jos - needing to get rid halfway through another wasted season. 

On 03/06/2020 at 18:32, @owlstalk said:

3E6E4FC2-B465-4894-9316-FDDAD033871F.jpeg

Sheffield Wednesday manager Garry Monk has been chatting to the press today

Amongst the talking points were how he was going to approach the situation of players coming to the end of their contracts and who to let go of

Monk said: “The bigger picture of contract players and out of contract players, those are the decisions I have to make in a normal situation in terms of futures of players and the future of the group.

My job is to make decisions people might not agree with, some might not even like those decisions, but that’s my job.

“I’ve had to do it constantly for six years, make those decisions. Not everyone agrees with it, but the most important thing is that when I make those decisions I try to make them for the right intention for the future of the club and where I think the squad needs to go and I’ll continue to do that.”

He his a very very average manager nothing more

30 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

He has no record of sustained success or making the most of a summer transfer window at this level 

He'll be alright here then given that the manager of Sheffield Wednesday isn't the one who identifies/signs the players

Owlstalk Shop