GARRY MONK - All posts about the Sheffield Wednesday Manager in here

13 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

No fan of Monk, or more importantly, the way he has us playing, but the one ray of hope for me, if he is to be in charge of the rebuild, is the players we have been linked with. Yes it could just be press speculation, but of the dozen or so players I’ve seen us linked with, they would all seem to fit the bill. 
They are generally younger players with a little bit about them, far from the finished article, but with a good chance making progress here at Wednesday They also fit the new budget reality. 
The hope is, that Monk may get this rebuild right, and once he has the players he wants, and perhaps the coaching staff, the football might improve. If he can then curb his penchant to self destruct, he may end up winning us doubters over. As a Wednesday fan first and foremost, I certainly don’t want him to fail just to prove my reservations were correct We will need stability during this rebuilding upheaval, if that makes sense, so everyone needs to be pulling in the same direction, including me

Just out of interest. What have you seen in his managerial career so far, that’s suggests his rebuild will be anything short of disastrous?

we all know it needs doing, but he doesn’t seem to have planned beyond the next two games yet alone for the next two years. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, FreshOwl said:

You don’t keep a manager solely on the basis of seeking longevity. Monk has proven here and elsewhere that he’s tactically void and can’t manage players. He’s not the man and never has been. But who do we bring in? I have no effin clue, there’s people paid for that 

I completely agree and I’ve always been an advocate of changing managers, not just keeping them for the sake of it. And look, I’m not even the biggest Monk fan - you can find a thread on here whilst we were doing well where we discussed if he was the right man for the job and questioned his subs/tactics.

However, this is a man who’s managed in the Premier League (& done well). Managed 3 Championship clubs and down well at 2 - was shocking at Boro (not doing any better now though).

He obviously knows things need to change and these players aren’t good enough - was he wrong to admit it so early on in the season? Probably. But everyone praised him for slating the players after the embarrassing performance at Wigan.

Just doesn’t sit right with me to sack another manager who’s been failed by this sh*t show of a squad.

We could give him time to rebuild and he could fail. We could give him time to rebuild and he could succeed. Time will only tell - and no matter how many people shout and tell us that we’re definitely going to fail with him in charge, no one knows.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, wednesdaywizard said:

Such a bellend comment.  He’s always on that belligerent defensive.  I don’t like him at all.

You just know that if you’ve seen the Blackpool tower, he’s seen the Eiffel Tower (and got kicked out of it for arguing with a Frenchman about how it should have been constructed).

Jim or monk?

I don't care about Monk one way or another but the truth is DC isn't going to sack him unless we go down by failing to get any points from the remaining games. Even then he might not.

DC sticks by people. Jos was a disaster but he stuck by him until there was a fans revolt.

19 minutes ago, Plonk said:

Just out of interest. What have you seen in his managerial career so far, that’s suggests his rebuild will be anything short of disastrous?

we all know it needs doing, but he doesn’t seem to have planned beyond the next two games yet alone for the next two years. 

Nothing, that’s why I’ve said the only ray of hope is the players we’ve been linked with. Bearing in mind, when it comes to recruitment, I’m normally super negative. The fact though, that those links have generally been, realistic for our budget, promising and for the areas we need to strengthen, gives me a little hope. It’s certainly not an about turn regarding my opinion of Monk, but surely it would be in all our interests if we were to be proved wrong? As you say, there’s nothing in his record to suggest that things will turn out different here, to the way they’ve turned out at his previous clubs, so although I remain sceptical, I do hope things might be different this time

44 minutes ago, Owls Loyal said:

Monk was fired by Swanse, fired by Boro and fired by Brum.

How many more times do we have to have this peddled at us?

Example...

Big Ron Atkinson

• SACKED from Manchester United
  • SACKED from Aston Villa
  • SACKED from Athletico Madrid
  • CONTRACT NOT RENEWED by Sheffield Wednesday

That's four clubs - one more than Garry Monk - does that make Garry Monk a better manager than Big Ron?

If we're going to assess Garry Monk's abilities let's not keep trotting out the 'well he got sacked before...' because it's literally meaningless.

Owlstalk Shop

26 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Example...

Big Ron Atkinson

That's four clubs - one more than Garry Monk - does that make Garry Monk a better manager than Big Ron?

If we're going to assess Garry Monk's abilities let's not keep trotting out the 'well he got sacked before...' because it's literally meaningless.

I agree…...…….I prefer to judge on performances and recruitment...……...and I have to say the early indications aren't too good.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

Example...

Big Ron Atkinson

Big Ron actually won something though - so you can’t really compare the 2 

• Like 1

Just now, Markowski77 said:

Big Ron actually won something though - so you can’t really compare the 2 

Nobody mentioned winning anything though mate

They just mentioned how Monk had been sacked from other clubs

So yes - in the context of talking about which managers have been sacked before - yes we can

Owlstalk Shop

Just now, WalthamOwl said:

He talked off this big clear out at the end of the season but I reckon there will be nothing like that, he will dish out contracts to the majority of these not good enough players. 

Is that his fault though if that's the case?

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, WalthamOwl said:

He talked off this big clear out at the end of the season but I reckon there will be nothing like that, he will dish out contracts to the majority of these not good enough players. 

Be similar to last season I reckon, half a dozen in + plus loans, and perhaps double that going out

2 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Is that his fault though if that's the case?

Maybe? Maybe not? It would be another nail in his managerial coffin here. I’m out of Nails, so I’m going to see if Martin has any in his shed?

He can talk tough but I think it’s pretty sad that we have a manager that most people aren’t bothered about. If we are honest not many believe in him. There’s no connection between Monk and the fans and I personally wouldn’t be bothered if he was replaced.

Who honestly would be gutted if he left? Seriously? 

Monk is another on the long list of things at the club at the moment that I’m feeling a bit down about. We have a huge rebuild to do and I’m not convinced he’s best placed or has the record to do it.

Edited by edinburghowl
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Example...

Big Ron Atkinson

TBH Niel I don’t care how many times he’s been sacked. I care about what he’s done at his previous clubs as a good indicator of what he’s capable of achieving. Don’t think there were many tears when he left his other clubs and there will be twirl all round when he leaves here. Honestly think he will be lucky to get another job other than the lower leagues and will drift out of the game

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Plonk said:

TBH Niel I don’t care how many times he’s been sacked. I care about what he’s done at his previous clubs as a good indicator of what he’s capable of achieving. Don’t think there were many tears when he left his other clubs and there will be twirl all round when he leaves here. Honestly think he will be lucky to get another job other than the lower leagues and will drift out of the game

He’ll struggle to get another championship job once he leaves here.