Mike Ashley

Guest Ash76

19 minutes ago, Howards back said:

It’s the money he would want to get his money back not the value of the club

Not sure that's how it works...there are exceptions but in business increasing the losses tends to decrease not increase the business value. 

30 minutes ago, Blue and white said:

Any particular reason, just seems a bit of a silly statement.

I really don’t like Ashley and wouldn’t want him involved with Wednesday.  Having lived away for a number of years now, I’ve always been proud to tell people I’m from Sheffield and a Wednesdayite.  I wouldn’t want that pride to be negatively impacted by any association with Ashley.

Guest Grandad
1 hour ago, Bluesteel said:

Chansiri came very close to getting Wednesday to that sort of value. I would imagine if he sold us now it would be for at least the same that he paid for it if not more. 

I know we have had some serious issues recently regarding the decision making but at least we have an owner who puts his money where his mouth is. If he hadn’t then we’d have gone bust.

I'm not sure that buying a club for £35m, spending £150m on taking it 5 places lower in the league, then selling it for £35m is a glowing example of how football business should be done to be fair

56 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

To be fair, in first year there were more hits than misses. We got within one win of a return to the prem. That's pretty good going at the first attempt. Recruitment that followed has been a disaster. 

Not sure about that. The core of the 2015/16 team was already here wasn't it?

For sure we added a few quality players but jeez i'd say 95% of our recruitment has been catastrophic

5 minutes ago, Belfast Owl 2 said:

Do you want Ashley to take over Richard?

I would have to do a greater amount of due diligence to answer that question definitively. He seems to have more basic football chairman skills than Chansiri but his general loathsomeness is a huge drawback. I wouldn't want Donald Trump in charge either but that doesn't make Chansiri any less ineffective. 

Going on the recent lack of interaction from DC, it feels like the novelty has worn off somewhat

He's currently saddled with a business he that has gone backwards this season

If MA was to come along with a reasonable offer that means DC doesn't have to chuck anymore ££ into the bottomless pit, I wouldn't be surpised if he jumped at it

On the other hand if DC is still passionate and wants to take this club forward then he will dig his heels in regardless

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Grandad said:

I'm not sure that buying a club for £35m, spending £150m on taking it 5 places lower in the league, then selling it for £35m is a glowing example of how football business should be done to be fair

I haven’t suggested it is. But that’s the business of football, massively loss making. Derby and Birmingham,  villa likely too had they stayed down are all in this state having fallen foul of FFP.

I think we have made bad decisions at the top quite clearly. But this wasn’t suggested when we got close twice. The major outlay was to get us on the brink of promotion twice. as much as I’d like us to have a much more sustainable transfer policy I also recognise that it is mainly the spenders that make the top six, even Leeds just lost 35m.

Nor is it evident that the club has reduced in value or is any way ruined. We had a crack and like clubs before us we now have to wait it out in mid table until we change something 

Edited by Bluesteel

1 hour ago, rickygoo said:

The issue then is what happens to the money the club owes him plus the status of Hillsborough.

Yes, a minefield but when he ultimately wants out he will need to take a hit on that. Hopefully any purchaser is wise enough to take hillsborough as part of the club. The money on the accounts for Hillsborough wasn’t a cash injection either by the looks of it. More an accounting exercise. 

Guest wilyfox
28 minutes ago, sweetsheri said:

Not sure about that. The core of the 2015/16 team was already here wasn't it?

For sure we added a few quality players but jeez i'd say 95% of our recruitment has been catastrophic

Hooper, Wallace, Forestieri, Bannan, Hunt, and Pudil all mainstays that year. That's half a new team in one window effectively. The problem was huge overspend in year 2 and DC not trading players year 3 onwards to balance books. Anyway, we all know the story. Is what it is.

I've read a few of the pages of this post and thought I'd have my say.

Firstly, I don't particularly like Ashley and some of his business practices are questionable. However, he is a very astute businessman and has appointed decent managers to get Newcastle promoted twice. To be able to get Benitez to go there was unbelievable. Yes, he won't chuck money around like the Geordies want, but is that a bad thing? We can all see what happens when you do that if you don't get the desired outcome. He certainly knows how to run a football club.

Geordies don't like him but they are deluded (even more than some of our fans) in that they think that because they get big gates they should be pushing for the Champions League.

I'd have him in a shot, and for those who don't want him, I'd be interested to know who they would want as Chairman. We've got a Mr Nice Guy, but look where that got us

CBA to read the rest of the replies, but seriously, what an absolute load of betty swallocks!!!!!

His High Street Empire is collapsing which is why he couldn't get out of Newcastle and the associate Premier League Millions quick enough, after holding out for years for more money.

The reason he bought Newcaslte in the first place was for it to be one big advertising board for Sports Direct (via the global reach of the Premier League). What use are we in the Championship or maybe even League 1? Sweet FA, that's what.

He'd be mad to even take on a Championship Club that was doing well with a decent  first team squad with plenty of payers that could command a transfer fee and some decent young prospects coming through the ranks...... never mind a shitshow like us, we have none of that.

We have no infrastructure.

Don't own our own ground.

Have a points deduction pending.

But yeah, after getting out of football as quick as he could because of the 'Rona, he wants to spunk his money up the wall on Wednesday while football finances collapse?

Riiiiiiiiiiiiigggggggggggttttttttttt.

Some people really will believe anything, stupid post.

However, if anyone believes a shred of that gonads, then I've got a Corona Virus Vaccine going cheap if you want to message me ;-)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

On 29/04/2020 at 12:04, Ash76 said:

Mike Ashley Sheffield Wednesday.jpg

Apparently interested in another club 

https://www.nufcblog.co.uk/2020/04/26/mike-ashley-now-planning-to-buy-another-football-club-once-saudis-seal-300m-takeover-report/

A random Geordie in a telegram group I’m in is saying he’s heard from a number of people it’s  rumoured to be us.

How would people feel? It’s a no from me 

No thanks

4 hours ago, Bluesteel said:

I would also disagree he has taken us backwards from where Milan was treading water. We moved forward and now back to where we are albeit with much more being spent. 

There needs to be a freshening up somewhere though. 

You've enjoyed the last 3 seasons then?. Its been an utter shambolic disaster.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, striker said:

Fair point, they certainly wanted out though. Was thinking more about the brands he acquired for Sports Direct etc.

I'm also suspicious of someone both Newcastle fans and sports direct shareholders dont want involved in their respective organisations. 

When Ashley bought NUFC their finances were a ticking time bomb. He did well to sort that out but has since got stuck in a very conservative mentality where everything makes business sense but doesn’t really get the pulse racing in terms of trying to achieve.