Mike Ashley

Guest Ash76

52 minutes ago, TINGLE75 said:

Apologies if it's been mentioned but has anyone seen the Dutch consortium hoping to buy an unnamed English club? If all else fails they can get their boots back on. Consortium involves Bergkamp. Larson and Davids😳

I see they previously tried and failed to buy Wycombe so I expect they are targeting league 1 clubs or below. Probably the likes of Swindon, Gillingham and Southend. Fans will spend more time watching the owners in the stand than players on the pitch :biggrin:

37 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

I don't know where you got your mathematical education but in my book £21.3M losses minus £8M bonuses as you suggest leaves a loss of over £13M not less than £13M.

The fact is Utd often portrayed the fact that they were not prepared to gamble the financial stability of the club against the quest for promotion as some Championship clubs do. Given that they lost £21.3M (minus the promotion bonus) in one year, that would certainly have been called into question if they had not been promoted.

So depending what the bonus was, maybe £8m, maybe more maybe less, they’d have lost approximately the permitted losses. 
As I said yes it’s a loss but within the permitted allowance.
You keep quoting £21.3m as if they’d have lost that if they hadn’t gone up. They did go up and so the bonuses were paid, and they wouldn’t have lost that if they’d stayed down.

I don’t know why you’re having a hard time understanding that?

8 minutes ago, Owling with laughter said:

So depending what the bonus was, maybe £8m, maybe more maybe less, they’d have lost approximately the permitted losses. 
As I said yes it’s a loss but within the permitted allowance.
You keep quoting £21.3m as if they’d have lost that if they hadn’t gone up. They did go up and so the bonuses were paid, and they wouldn’t have lost that if they’d stayed down.

I don’t know why you’re having a hard time understanding that?

Are you a Wednesday fan? Just thought I'd ask as your few posts and when you made them are interesting.

I have stated that even without the bonuses they would have lost above the £13M guide limit for 1 season. They had a wages/turnover ratio of 196% with the bonuses so even without them you would imagine this would be above 100%

Hardly the sound financial model of zero risk that was purported. 

3 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Are you a Wednesday fan? Just thought I'd ask as your few posts and when you made them are interesting.

Every single post you make tries to make things personal or have a pop at someone

Chill the foooooook out 

Make your post about the topic and leave the posters alone ffs

*note* I won't be replying to any reply you make to this. Just bear in mind what I've said. Ta.

Owlstalk Shop

19 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

I understand the sentiment of wanting a steadier ship but under Milan we were still losing £5M a season with attendances in the top 6 in the division and a budget in the bottom 6. 

Milan himself said it wasn't sustainable and would likely have just been a slower trip towards financial problems without the play-off campaigns.

Some point towards teams getting promoted from this division without significant overspending and the blunts were put forward as an example of this - until their 2018-19 accounts revealed a £21M loss for the year. Despite Wilder's mantra of not putting the club at risk financially it seems another season in the Championship wold probably have seen them breach the rules. 

I understand completely what you are saying about Milan’s level of investment and I can recall posting comments on here about how frustrating it was to see us still losing money under Milan’s tenure, but I still enjoyed Milan’s time at the helm especially whilst SG was manager. 

Essentially the finances in the Championship are completely flawed and I reckon as an owner you need to have nerves of steel to risk your hard earned in trying to get a club promoted. 

I haven't read the 24 page thread, only the OP, so this may have already been posted, and you have my apologies if it already has.

I just came across this video on youtube, so after reading the OP I thought Id give it a watch. 

I've never ever heard Mike Ashley even speak before, but after listening to this video in full, I have to say that I'm impressed with him.

28 minutes ago, steelerian said:

I haven't read the 24 page thread, only the OP, so this may have already been posted, and you have my apologies if it already has.

I just came across this video on youtube, so after reading the OP I thought Id give it a watch. 

I've never ever heard Mike Ashley even speak before, but after listening to this video in full, I have to say that I'm impressed with him.

Very interesting video that mate thank you for posting it

He's passionate and talking absolute sense with a wealth of experience

Owlstalk Shop

48 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Bottom line is Neil he is a businessman end of - understands how to run multi-billion pound businesses, knows the football market and all it's dark corners after so long at the helm of NUFC.

If and it is a big if he does take over it will be interesting for more than footballing reasons

43 minutes ago, soldierboyblue said:

Bottom line is Neil he is a businessman end of - understands how to run multi-billion pound businesses, knows the football market and all it's dark corners after so long at the helm of NUFC.

If and it is a big if he does take over it will be interesting for more than footballing reasons

Aye most definitely

I ended up watching all that commons committee video posted above and listened to him with interest 

First time Ive heard him speak

Owlstalk Shop

It will be interesting when the Newcastle takeover is finally completed what comes of this story.  Whether we like it or not the idea of Ashley buying us makes sense to have his Sports Direct sponsorships transferred to another football club. Particularly in the city of sport, historically.

Maybe his frugality is what we need right now. And if he hires a decent manager whilst he’s at it then that’s a bonus. 

Personally I prefer the idea of Ashley and Bruce than Chansiri and Monk 

On 05/05/2020 at 16:28, soldierboyblue said:

Indeed - plus he’d have learnt a lot at Newcastle, an even tougher club to run and manage this us.

He’d be unpopular as he make tough decisions but he’d probably sort out a lot of the issues with a ruthlessness that is/has been missing here for far too long.

Whatever happens, football clubs today are a play thing for multi millionaire/billionaire egomaniacs, all with similar traits. Unfortunately, fans dont have a choice, all we can do is strap in and endure/enjoy the ride.

On 06/05/2020 at 02:37, @owlstalk said:

A man who knows what he is talking about, speaks complete sense with the knowledge to back it up.

In terms of him being our new owner, it's a bloody great yes from me.

• Haha 1

On 05/05/2020 at 17:12, @owlstalk said:

Aye most definitely

I ended up watching all that commons committee video posted above and listened to him with interest 

First time Ive heard him speak

I expected it to be a lot of bluster and self importance but gave it a go and like you ended up listening to it all. Some of his employees may give a different view of contracts and working conditions but the way he spoke about the high street was very passionate.

I have no retail experience at all so have no idea whether his recommendations would work but it was good to hear him have genuine ideas on how to address the collapse of the high street.

Still not sure he would be the right man for us given the decline performance wise of Newcastle United under his tenure and the fact fact that a very strong Newcastle side with a very significant income, especially at this level, made a loss of over £40M in one season to get out of this division. 

Just now, hirstyboywonder said:

the fact fact that a very strong Newcastle side with a very significant income, especially at this level, made a loss of over £40M in one season to get out of this division. 

I bet if you asked Chansiri if he wanted guaranteed promotion by losing just £40m he'd snap your hands off

As would most chairmen

Owlstalk Shop

4 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Still not sure he would be the right man for us given the decline performance wise of Newcastle United under his tenure and the fact fact that a very strong Newcastle side with a very significant income, especially at this level, made a loss of over £40M in one season to get out of this division. 

Just think without parachute payments the loss would have been 80m.

WTF: