Mike Ashley

Guest Ash76

8 hours ago, asteener1867 said:

Mate 

You have every right to say what you think Sheffield Wednesday should or shouldn't do ...its a free country

It bothers me not one bit and I respect the fact that you know shed loads more about Ashley than I do.

The fact I think you may be overlooking is  that we ALREADY are a team that yoyos between the 1st and the Championship and have been for 2 decades. 

Fair enough. My posts were just to give you all context.

Personally I don’t think he would improve and would probably hinder any club he got his hands on.

3 hours ago, S26 Owl said:

Anyone who would seriously turn down Mike Ashley needs to give their head a wobble. I'd give anything to be moaning about 12th in the prem, newcastle fans dont even know theyre born. Hate when they (and teams like arsenal) make out theyre so badly treated, compared to some clubs (blackpools, burys, wimbledon, macclesfield etc) theyre basically real madrid

No club has an automatic right to be at the top, not Newcastle, not Arsenal, not Man Utd, Liverpool etc.

Newcastle fans were never comparing about finishing 12th, it was about how the club was being taken apart and had no ambition at all.

To me the Arsenal fans going on like they did when they were winning 3 FA Cups out of 4 didn’t sit well with me. I can understand how they felt overall and in the long term their club could fall away and become a shadow of themselves. They are entitled to have that view, however how they went about it didn’t sit and still doesn’t sit well with me, I feel like they could have done better with it.

Us Newcastle fans probably have to take similar criticism, how could we have handled it and done better?

In my opinion if you read and watch what fans say on social media etc then it’s easy for emotion to overshadow everything they are trying to converse, and that can easily come across as arrogance.

As I have said before the Newcastle fans worked with other clubs to help their efforts. There wasn’t just a demand to change ownership at our club, but to change it at every level and to give fans greater power and ultimately a bigger say in how their clubs are run and potentially ownership. We worked with fans of other clubs like Blackpool, Charlton, and Coventry.

Behind the doors and away from angry kids on Twitter and such there was a good section of our fans working for the greater good. There was never a ‘my club is worse off attitude’. It was always a ‘How can we help you and everyone else?’ idealism.

A couple of weeks ago I rang my Sunderland season ticket holder friend of mine who was besides himself with what’s happening to his club. There isn’t much written in the media about it but they are dangerously close to going out of business. If this season is ended and they aren’t promoted the owners can not afford to keep them going. In fact even if they do get promoted they likely still don’t have enough money and promotion would only really help in attracting new buyers.

The people who bought them were complete chancers who were effectively given the club for free by their former owner in order to prevent him from having any liability to them any longer, and they took the club on in the hope that they would quickly be promoted and they could sell them for a quick profit.

Anyway I rang my friend to tell him about the various things the Newcastle fans have done to change football ownership rules and inform him of ways of how theirs ways of gaining funding for fan groups of teams so they can buy their clubs. At the Premier League level the funding just isn’t there, but further down it’s a possibility.

My phone call was designed to let him and his fellow fans about it so they can start getting the ball rolling, because honestly they are very likely to go into administration.

As for Bury, I said it at the time that it was a disgrace. It’s a disgrace the EFL and FA allowed it. It was a disgrace that the EFL prevented them from playing games early on in order to help them bring match day income into the club to give them a fighting chance. It was a disgrace how they have Bolton more time to save themselves on the same day they kicked Bury out of the league just because Bolton are a bigger name.

It’s a disgrace that the EFL has gained money 72 clubs for years and years and have chucked it away with nothing to show for it and had nothing to give to Bury.

It’s a disgrace that the FA get all the money from the Premier League and the EFL, still haven’t paid Wembley off, haven’t invested in grassroots football, and have nothing in the bank to give to clubs like Bury.

The Bury situation should have been the end of the EFL and the FA. That should have been the moment where fans asked where the money has disappeared too.

Instead we are about to face a few clubs go to the wall, watch the EFL ask for the begging bowl from the Premier League, watch the FA and EFL to ask for the taxpayers to help them out, and see them do nothing. 100% the EFL and FA will do nothing to help any club facing difficulties in the next year or so. They will allow these clubs to go to the wall, and I wouldn’t be surprised if we see rumours of them trying to attempt the old firm into the Championship in order to fill the gaps within the league and to help sell their product to the TV networks.

• Thanks 1

Trouble is Chris, no matter how ambitious the fans of the clubs are..or how delusional.

,The lack of "ambition" in the Premiership is stark.

Too many clubs are happy to paddle in the shallow end and take the money...Newcastle are a prime example of a club that has the fan base and, the facilities but not the money such as City have, or Man utd..or liverpool.

Below the top 5 or 6..its a battle to stay in the League and take the money...even after that theres the parachute payments that give you a better than even chance of making it back quickly, unless you balls it up royally .

Wednesday had finished 3rd in the Division prior to the Prem, then 7th twice during the mid 90's...The crowds were not like they are now, nor is the money, We then dipped out before parachute payments...

I don't know enough about Mike Ashley to argue the point of whether he is an asset stripper or whatever, but you can see why at the moment Sheffield Wednesday fans would take someone who is "happy to paddle about" mid table in the Premiership.

I'm sure after a couple of years of it..We would be exactly the same as Geordie fans are...cos thats the nature of football fans.

Newcastle fans may now have their chance, and lets be honest if they were all as moralistic as some pretend to be about the practices of such as Ashley...how about the Saudis then?...Thats were The Premiership has taken us

I'd take it...I'd take bloody Pol Pot if it got Wednesday back .

In my opinion, the Premiership is probably the most stagnant league in the country..I still want to be in it, cos thats what all football fans want..I'd love Newcastle to win the league...Ive always liked the club and the fans...Ive always loved going to St James'....(apart from Robsons first game)....

But i'll only give you the one title with shedloads of money...then I'll regard you in the same vein as City Chelsea et al...cos its trophy's bought in a market mate...

Having said that...I'd love a day at the market...Hypocrisy?..course it is..we ALL know it is...thats football fans...

Its the reason why "Dire" warnings about Mike Ashley  fall on deaf ears down here...cos its simply threatening the "Status Quo"...What we got to lose?

Thx for your time

Edited by asteener1867
  • Like 1

No problem.

You raise valid points.

I’ll agree to disagree on Ashley specifically, but everything else I think you hit the nail on the head.

For what it’s worth. I hope everything works out for Wednesday. Despite being out the Premier League for a long time, to me you are still one of those biggish names in English football.

A few years ago when we were in the Championship I went to Hillsborough and enjoyed it, despite the result. The atmosphere there was one of the best home atmospheres I’be experiences, and the people were pleasant and friendly.

I do actually hope you manage to come up, and to stay up, rather than having just a one of visit like so many clubs do these days.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, bigchrisfgb said:

No problem.

You raise valid points.

I’ll agree to disagree on Ashley specifically, but everything else I think you hit the nail on the head.

For what it’s worth. I hope everything works out for Wednesday. Despite being out the Premier League for a long time, to me you are still one of those biggish names in English football.

A few years ago when we were in the Championship I went to Hillsborough and enjoyed it, despite the result. The atmosphere there was one of the best home atmospheres I’be experiences, and the people were pleasant and friendly.

I do actually hope you manage to come up, and to stay up, rather than having just a one of visit like so many clubs do these days.

You know more about Ashley than I do Chris....I'll accept your opinion carries far more gravity than mine does on  the bloke.

How much of a look have you had at our current Chairman?...Because he seems to be more or less the opposite of an  Ashley in some aspects...and it hasn't worked.

He is prepared to throw money in willy nilly...he seems unswervingly loyal to his staff ...(but not particularly to the supporters).

He isn't "allowed" to throw as much as he wants into the club because of EFL restrictions...So he tries to find loopholes in these rules which now leave us on the brink of a points deduction.

He has sold the ground back to himself, The club is sponsored by several companies that don't actually bloody exist..and the fans are paying ridiculous prices to watch us lose 0-3 at home to Reading.

We have a "pricing policy" that no-one actually understands , Pay on the Gate prices border on ridiculous, which has virtually stopped fans walking up on the day..and his name is plastered all over the ground.

Still he's quite popular...I still quite like him...but its like having a mate that you simply can't trust...you like him...but you wouldn't leave yer kids with him for the afternoon.

We have had players on massive wages...who don't play...We signed a Urby Emmanuelson on massive wages for q12 months...he played 20 sodding minutes...and Almen Abdi...who simply stopped playing.

He signed Jordan Rhodes for 10 Million...then blamed the fans for "wanting him"..when he couldn't score in a brothel...

This is what its like at The Wednesday at the moment...

No wonder the fans want some sort of channge...and the vast majority would like the current chairman to sort it...but as he says ..

"He knows little of football"

• Thanks 1

From all these equations I have to report

Its quite hard to fathom just who support

Faults lies an' flaws in abandon abound

Who's name should bedeck our unfortunate ground?

Ashley has Debenhams and Sports direct

The House of Fraser an' whatever............ "NEXT"...?

Delphjon has Elevate, Cabs in the mist?

Two of these companies do not exist

When push comes to shove who should fall in the Don?

An egg of the curate if ever there one

A roll of the dice ? or the throw of a crown?

Will send Wednesday up or would keep Wednesday down

The Wednesday fan ponders and rows with himself

for nigh on two decades he's done f.ook all else

The coins sent a spinning , in hope we abide

and its Wednesday fans luck...that it lands the wrong side

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

What is the relevance of this?

Surely the accounts from the season they had at this level are more comparable - a loss of over £40M even with parachute payments.

Guest Jack the Hat

Just saw Mike Ashley in Hillsborough Park with the biggest   99 ice cream ever.  He was just stood there staring at the South Stand until his ice cream melted on his hands. He had a right job licking around to stop it melting. Did it in the end though. I wonder if this is relevant.. Disclaimer. It might have been someone else.

4 minutes ago, Jack the Hat said:

Just saw Mike Ashley in Hillsborough Park with the biggest   99 ice cream ever.  He was just stood there staring at the South Stand until his ice cream melted on his hands. He had a right job licking around to stop it melting. Did it in the end though. I wonder if this is relevant.. Disclaimer. It might have been someone else.

ezgif.com-optimize-1.gif

• Like 2