Interesting tweet (if genuine)

15 minutes ago, Asio otus said:

I am sure they did have respect for Bruce but how about the f....ing club they play for. Good players always give their all regardless of who the manager is. It showed when they played city on the TV , they could put a shift in, too many players stealing a wage.

They put the effort in in cup games but can't be bothered in league games. They want the club relegated.

If they were rubbish all the time it might just be they are rubbish. By showing effort in cup games they are indicating they can do it if they want but not in the league. Strikes me they are saying to the club give us new contracts or you get relegated.

This club is bigger than the players.

34 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

I can understand that train of thought, but is it fair to those youngsters to be thrown into a Championship side bereft of form and confidence?

Should the probable occur and their presence fails to miraculously turn our form on its head, the impact it could have on their nascent careers could be devastating.

Perhaps the lesser of two evils is to let the senior 'professionals' who've played us into the mire face the music rather than giving them a way out at the expense of our U23s?

No it's probably not fair on the U23's but I bet they would all jump at the chance. I don't think they would miraculously go on a winning run but at least they would try. If they fail it wouldn't be for lack of effort... unlike some in the first team. Hopefully the fans would get behind them and not be critical.

I don't think some first team players give a s hi t anymore. It's not about them facing the music rather than having a way out. If they don't care, they won't be bothered.

22 minutes ago, prowl said:

They put the effort in in cup games but can't be bothered in league games. They want the club relegated.

If they were rubbish all the time it might just be they are rubbish. By showing effort in cup games they are indicating they can do it if they want but not in the league. Strikes me they are saying to the club give us new contracts or you get relegated.

This club is bigger than the players.

Yea too many think they are bigger, hope some of them end up where they belong ....unemployed!!!

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, prowl said:

No it's probably not fair on the U23's but I bet they would all jump at the chance. I don't think they would miraculously go on a winning run but at least they would try. If they fail it wouldn't be for lack of effort... unlike some in the first team. Hopefully the fans would get behind them and not be critical.

I don't think some first team players give a s hi t anymore. It's not about them facing the music rather than having a way out. If they don't care, they won't be bothered.

I'm sure they'd give it their all and would relish the opportunity. In the current climate though, things could turn nasty very quickly and that can be difficult for a young player to come back from. Urhoghide looked promising, but was quickly taken out of the firing line once it became clear that he isn't ready.

I'm not averse to giving youth a chance, but to introduce them into such a dire situation could do more harm than good if things don't go well.

I'm sure Monk is considering it, though - after all, there are very few alternatives left. Perhaps Hunt for Pelupessy could be the first such change? 

5 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

If Monk had any track record of building a side or had shown anything tactically beyond relying on Fletcher's form then I would agree with you.

The manager can go for me and the players can follow him in the summer and start afresh. 

To be honest i cant disagree with that side of the argument either.

7 minutes ago, geriatricowl said:

If you are a professional footballer who's contract is not going to be renewed, then it is extremely unlikely you are going to show prospective employers you are a trouble making, unreliable, couldn't care less individual. Doesn't make sense does it ?

But at the same time you can't risk injury

37 minutes ago, geriatricowl said:

If you are a professional footballer who's contract is not going to be renewed, then it is extremely unlikely you are going to show prospective employers you are a trouble making, unreliable, couldn't care less individual. Doesn't make sense does it ?

don't talk sense on here lol 

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, modboy said:

Monk is like the supply teacher who doesn't know how to control the class.

No coincidence they listened to Bruce, a legend who'd been there and done it.

FFS  stop going on about Bruce. He was a treacherous snake not a flipping God. He let us down, just like the players are doing. 
Bruce was not or is the answer. he is a Too hat

48 minutes ago, Cypriot Owl said:

FFS  stop going on about Bruce. He was a treacherous snake not a flipping God. He let us down, just like the players are doing. 
Bruce was not or is the answer. he is a Too hat

You mean Bruce wasn't the messiah he's a very naughty boy. :biggrin:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, geriatricowl said:

Last season under Bruce I remember Boyd and Matias playing out their skin to try and earn a new deal. 

In the past we’ve had Nuhiu and JJ turn it on towards the end of the season to get a new deal.

If Monk has told players they have no future, that is bad management. You tell them if they want to stay here you’ve got to show you deserve a new contract. 

Perhaps the players just can’t be arsed anymore and know a points deduction is coming. 

Just now, SallyCinnamon said:

Last season under Bruce I remember Boyd and Matias playing out their skin to try and earn a new deal. 

In the past we’ve had Nuhiu and JJ turn it on towards the end of the season to get a new deal.

If Monk has told players they have no future, that is bad management. You tell them if they want to stay here you’ve got to show you deserve a new contract. 

Perhaps the players just can’t be arsed anymore and know a points deduction is coming. 

Isn't Morgan Fox about to sign a new deal though?

Dawson just signed one

Owlstalk Shop

6 hours ago, prowl said:

Fans don't want honest effort if the ability levels are worlds away from what is required

Our u23's aren't even a good team at their level - to put them into the championship would ruin the club - and most of them

Look what happened to Bolton when they were forced to play u23's in league one games

I do think the manager has totally lost it (not that he ever really had it) and the only possible "quick fix" would be to try to find somebody to give us enough of a short term boost to garner enough points to keep us afloat in the championship

The player/manager relationship seems fractured beyond repair and when that happens there is only one possible remedy

• Like 1

There is another way of reading in to the senior pros not caring comment.....at the moment the following are not being picked for a variety of reasons

Westwood

Odubajo

Reach

Luongo

Hutchinson

Winnall

Rhodes

it’s could be that Monk knows that all or some of these would massively improve the team but that their attitude in training is so bad that he can’t possibly pick them.....so it’s not the players in the team that have the attitude problem, but they are the best we have available given the circumstances of not being able to pick others

in the past I’ve been an advocate of “don’t care what happens in the week, just what happens on a Saturday” but have been convinced by a few pros over the years that if you get players playing who don’t try in the week then everyone switches off in training and it’s down a massive hill from there.

I just wonder if our wage structure is an absolute disaster in times of a struggle - where nothing they do is penalising their earnings whatsoever.

I'm talking club-wide contractual decisions that are utterly detrimental to a player's motivation - would certainly explain a 'cultural' problem.

We know they get a huge wage - I get the impression the numbers are ridiculous.  Some are on a lot more than others - which is something else that doesn't help.  Especially when the big earners don't 'earn' that money whatsoever.

Perhaps they don't get goal bonuses, clean sheet bonuses, appearance fees - so therefore they don't care whether they do or don't play, or score?  Just one massive wage that they get regardless of results or performances.

Or maybe they get huge bonuses for achieving very little?  Like playing 20 games, for example.  Job done already if so for most.

Perhaps they've already got deals lined up by their agents, so they really don't care whether they play or not?  Paid in full while they're injured - do they really want to get back playing for a club they're going to leave?

Perhaps these decisions were made in order to get them to join the club in the first place.  I'm sure plenty others around the world are like this - but get them all together in one club, combine that with clumsy mistakes, players with VERY frail mentalities (there really are no leaders - look at our last minute collapses) then its a horrible combination.

No pressure, no competition for their place, huge wages, weak mentality - its a bad combination for sure. 

Personally, I think while some of the above may be very true, I think its a complete lack of structure and leadership in the club that is the underlying problem.  I think all the stories of DC using SWFC as a 'toy' of sorts for personal ego and his family is bang on true.  He doesn't want anyone telling him what to do and what to spend his money on.  He can't take personal criticism, insisting he's "doing his best" - but that best is just woefully wide of the mark and no-one is aloowed in to help guide him.  This might not be so bad if we had a structure of management below him who kept him in-line and 

All this about SWFC being a family, where no players are sold, we already know IS true.  These stories of last minute hikes in transfer fees for the like sof Jordan Rhodes (actually... we now want £1 million pounds please") is all too true. 

Its all led to a horribly comfy scenario where players have felt 100% at ease all the time.  No management structure of the club itself, no clear plans, no objectives, no investment plans (albeit anything would be restricted under FFP anyway) - and this EFL charge is looking more and more likely to go through with every passing day.  Its ridiculous that we can suddenly sell the stadium to ourselves for a ridiculous value, place it in the previous year's accounts (which we conveniently delayed) and think we can get away with it - but that just about sums up the lack of commercial awareness, experience and structure we have at the club.

Everything adds up - the god-awful scouting system, hap-hazard management appointments, the woeful commercial department and merchandise, awful catering, badly thought out commercial ideas like a 10 year season ticket and gold plated seat, overpriced tickets, shirts... the list goes on and on and on...

This first half of the season - we've fluked it, its as simple as that.  We've seen it before - the performances we put in are largely poor yet we sometimes get away with it through individual excellence of some of our players.  Is it any wonder we're struggling now, really?  Feels to me like this period is our 'norm' and the first half of the season was the exception to that.  

Edited by davey_wells
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 5

5 minutes ago, davey_wells said:

I just wonder if our wage structure is an absolute disaster in times of a struggle - where nothing they do is penalising their earnings whatsoever.

I'm talking club-wide contractual decisions that are utterly detrimental to a player's motivation - would certainly explain a 'cultural' problem.

We know they get a huge wage - I get the impression the numbers are ridiculous.  Some are on a lot more than others - which is something else that doesn't help.  Especially when the big earners don't 'earn' that money whatsoever.

Perhaps they don't get goal bonuses, clean sheet bonuses, appearance fees - so therefore they don't care whether they do or don't play, or score?  Just one massive wage that they get regardless of results or performances.

Or maybe they get huge bonuses for achieving very little?  Like playing 20 games, for example.  Job done already if so for most.

Perhaps they've already got deals lined up by their agents, so they really don't care whether they play or not?  Paid in full while they're injured - do they really want to get back playing for a club they're going to leave?

Perhaps these decisions were made in order to get them to join the club in the first place.  I'm sure plenty others around the world are like this - but get them all together in one club, combine that with clumsy mistakes, players with VERY frail mentalities (there really are no leaders - look at our last minute collapses) then its a horrible combination.

No pressure, no competition for their place, huge wages, weak mentality - its a bad combination for sure. 

Personally, I think while some of the above may be very true, I think its a complete lack of structure and leadership in the club that is the underlying problem.  I think all the stories of DC using SWFC as a 'toy' of sorts for personal ego and his family is bang on true.  He doesn't want anyone telling him what to do and what to spend his money on.  He can't take personal criticism, insisting he's "doing his best" - but that best is just woefully wide of the mark and no-one is aloowed in to help guide him.  This might not be so bad if we had a structure of management below him who kept him in-line and 

All this about SWFC being a family, where no players are sold, we already know IS true.  These stories of last minute hikes in transfer fees for the like sof Jordan Rhodes (actually... we now want £1 million pounds please") is all too true. 

Its all led to a horribly comfy scenario where players have felt 100% at ease all the time.  No management structure of the club itself, no clear plans, no objectives, no investment plans (albeit anything would be restricted under FFP anyway) - and this EFL charge is looking more and more likely to go through with every passing day.  Its ridiculous that we can suddenly sell the stadium to ourselves for a ridiculous value, place it in the previous year's accounts (which we conveniently delayed) and think we can get away with it - but that just about sums up the lack of commercial awareness, experience and structure we have at the club.

Everything adds up - the god-awful scouting system, hap-hazard management appointments, the woeful commercial department and merchandise, awful catering, badly thought out commercial ideas like a 10 year season ticket and gold plated seat, overpriced tickets, shirts... the list goes on and on and on...

This first half of the season - we've fluked it, its as simple as that.  We've seen it before - the performances we put in are largely poor yet we sometimes get away with it through individual excellence of some of our players.  Is it any wonder we're struggling now, really?  Feels to me like this period is our 'norm' and the first half of the season was the exception to that.  

Brilliant post.