Official Summer Transfer Rumours Thread 2020-2021

40 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

The only new players we seem to be getting linked to are ones that you would probably class as development players. Not sure how many would be ready for the first team. 

If they were development players at clubs higher up the league chain they don't have to be development players for us. 

I'm quite sure we brought in Dele-Bashiru to play first team football. 

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, malek said:

If they were development players at clubs higher up the league chain they don't have to be development players for us. 

I'm quite sure we brought in Dele-Bashiru to play first team football. 

From what you have seen of him is he ready for championship football in your opinion? 

8 hours ago, WalthamOwl said:

From what you have seen of him is he ready for championship football in your opinion? 

In fairness why would a club sign a laddie who is nearly 21 to develop? At that age he should be ready to be playing in the first team. I’ve no idea if he is good enough but it doesn’t make sense for him to be in the development squad 

Edited by edinburghowl

Our immediate priority should be to bring in players where we have obvious holes. Looking at the squad, that’s probably a left back, a defensive midfielder and at least 3 forwards. That has to be done, for so many years we’ve failed to address the shortcomings, while duplicating in other areas. That has to stop. 
After that, the recruitment falls into two categories, areas where we might like more depth, and then upgrading existing players if we can find better

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Our immediate priority should be to bring in players where we have obvious holes. Looking at the squad, that’s probably a left back, a defensive midfielder and at least 3 forwards. That has to be done, for so many years we’ve failed to address the shortcomings, while duplicating in other areas. That has to stop. 
After that, the recruitment falls into two categories, areas where we might like more depth, and then upgrading existing players if we can find better

If we're going to stick with wing backs then we probably need to acquire players who are a more natural fit for the position?

I think the defensive midfielder is probably the most important signing as we need someone who can genuinely cover the defence. Conceding less goals is the only way we'll increase our chances of picking up points as I don't see us improving much goalscoring wise? We've been a 55-65 side for quite a while now.

I don't expect us to get another striker in before pre-season training starts but we have to have at least 1 in before the end of the month. It sounds like Windass is the top target which may be down to the situation at Wigan but the best he'll score in a season is 15 and he would probably have to be at his level best to achieve that?

Trying to get the best out of Rhodes yet again might have to be the way forward. I still think Liam Shaw will be converted to a target man early on in the season TBH?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jim said:

If we're going to stick with wing backs then we probably need to acquire players who are a more natural fit for the position?

I think the defensive midfielder is probably the most important signing as we need someone who can genuinely cover the defence. Conceding less goals is the only way we'll increase our chances of picking up points as I don't see us improving much goalscoring wise? We've been a 55-65 side for quite a while now.

I don't expect us to get another striker in before pre-season training starts but we have to have at least 1 in before the end of the month. It sounds like Windass is the top target which may be down to the situation at Wigan but the best he'll score in a season is 15 and he would probably have to be at his level best to achieve that?

Trying to get the best out of Rhodes yet again might have to be the way forward. I still think Liam Shaw will be converted to a target man early on in the season TBH?

Scary, Windass and Rhodes, or converting any of the youngsters, has League One written all over it

15 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Scary, Windass and Rhodes, or converting any of the youngsters, has League One written all over it

I agree mate. It's hard to imagine not bringing in anyone but the landscape's changed. The days of acquiring the likes of Fletcher, Forestieri, Hooper, even Rhodes and Winnall are long gone.

Financially it's difficult because of the EFL. The points deduction is going to make it even harder and also I don't know if the Chairman is up for it anymore?

There's been understandably talk of a squad overhaul but it looks as though we'll be relying on players who have been on and off it for the last three years and given the current situation it makes next season looking like even more of a struggle?

14 minutes ago, Jim said:

I agree mate. It's hard to imagine not bringing in anyone but the landscape's changed. The days of acquiring the likes of Fletcher, Forestieri, Hooper, even Rhodes and Winnall are long gone.

Financially it's difficult because of the EFL. The points deduction is going to make it even harder and also I don't know if the Chairman is up for it anymore?

There's been understandably talk of a squad overhaul but it looks as though we'll be relying on players who have been on and off it for the last three years and given the current situation it makes next season looking like even more of a struggle?

Yes the landscape has changed but having decided he needed a total overhaul, he now has to deliver. 
The landscape has changed for all clubs. Yes we have the additional burden of the points deduction, but that was always a possibility, and certainly known about when Monk made his big clear out comments. 

Who in their right mind is going to want to come and play for a club that's starting the season on -12 points, has DC and Paxo in charge and worse of all has the uninspiring Monk who blames everyone and everything but himself when things go wrong. Can see them queueing round the block to join this circus:duntmatter:

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, full fathom five said:

Who in their right mind is going to want to come and play for a club that's starting the season on -12 points, has DC and Paxo in charge and worse of all has the uninspiring Monk who blames everyone and everything but himself when things go wrong. Can see them queueing round the block to join this circus:duntmatter:

Hmm, yes a reasonable assessment 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Yes the landscape has changed but having decided he needed a total overhaul, he now has to deliver. 
The landscape has changed for all clubs. Yes we have the additional burden of the points deduction, but that was always a possibility, and certainly known about when Monk made his big clear out comments. 

The clearout comments were made before the pandemic so in a sense this may have an effect as many clubs perhaps can no longer afford the likes of Westwood, Rhodes, Reach, Lees, Bannan etc. even if they wanted them?

I think 3 or 4 on that list aren't wanted but we are maybe stuck with them and if we are we need to use them and motivate them to play better than they have recently? First thing I'd do is recall Westwood, he's the only keeper we currently have that can handle the pressure. Going in to next season with either Wildsmith or Dawson as first choice is footballing suicide given the points deduction.

Will the above paragraph happen? Well it needs to if we're to stand any chance of beating relegation?

Going to be interesting to see how other clubs in Championship get on

Gives you a sense of how we're comparing

Are we reading about our rivals in the league making quality signings whilst we seem slow, or is it much of a muchness so far.... 

These are interesting times, kind of enjoying the ride

10 minutes ago, Jim said:

The clearout comments were made before the pandemic so in a sense this may have an effect as many clubs perhaps can no longer afford the likes of Westwood, Rhodes, Reach, Lees, Bannan etc. even if they wanted them?

I think 3 or 4 on that list aren't wanted but we are maybe stuck with them and if we are we need to use them and motivate them to play better than they have recently? First thing I'd do is recall Westwood, he's the only keeper we currently have that can handle the pressure. Going in to next season with either Wildsmith or Dawson as first choice is footballing suicide given the points deduction.

Will the above paragraph happen? Well it needs to if we're to stand any chance of beating relegation?

That may be the scenario, in which case there is a huge issue. We know that Monk cannot motivate, or coax a performance out of this group of players, and the only realistic hope was, that he could change the personnel If we are now saying it will be difficult for him to drastically change the dynamic, by bringing players in, then the obvious conclusion is, bring in a coach who can work with the existing players

• Like 2