Official Summer Transfer Rumours Thread 2020-2021

37 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

I’m not sure you’ll see 4 or 5 new first teamers arrive at all, let alone before start of season. 

Assuming we play 352 (big assumption I know) then I’d expect: 

Dawson/Wildsmith 

Iorfa/Palmer

Lees/New CB?

Borner/Van Aken

Moses/Reach 

Harris/Penney

New DCM?/Joey/Shaw

Bannan/Hunt

Luongo/FDB

Rhodes??/New Fwd??

New Fwd??/New Fwd??

So strikers are essential but other than that we’ve got decent completion for places in all other positions and even defensive midfield there’s no guarantee we won’t go Luongo, FDB and Bannan rather than out and out defensive mid. 

Unless we shift some, I just don’t see us signing that many. 

personally I think a new number one is essential. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

personally I think a new number one is essential. 

Having three players for that position probably makes it unlikely rather than essential. If Westwood leaves, and we can get one if others out on loan then maybe I could see us going out to get a proven keeper like Darlow from Newcastle or someone similar. But if can’t shift 1/2 of the 3 can’t see us strengthening. 

To stay up next season with the minus 12 point starting point, pretty much means we will have to achieve more points next season than we did this season.

So to do that probably means we need a better squad /players for the coming season

Can anyone see that?

I just can’t unfortunately

Also I honestly don’t believe we have a good enough keeper too, take Westy out of it and I think our keepers just make too many mistakes, all keepers make mistakes of course but we seem to average far more keeper mistakes than most.

so I think after about 10-15 games we will be wishing we had been hit earlier with the point reduction and gone down meaning we should be in lg1 now and fighting for a chance of promotion 

Instead we will have just wasted a season which is going to be horrendous to watch!!!

Sorry to be negative before the season even starts but there you go

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Dagmeister's Shadow said:

Check the 12 results immediately before and after he was dropped. You'll be surprised. 

We may go for another experienced keeper but I could well see Dawson developing better without the spectre of Westwood and the rumblings that go with him.

Westwood is done here though.

Dawson had a spell like you say where he was better than the previous season which in all fairness wouldn't be difficult? That said when he loses confidence, that's it, he doesn't get it back. He's had to be taken out of the team on each occasion that this has happened. He doesn't have the capability to lift himself from a slump while he's playing. The amount of times he's seen 5 goals in a game go past him is ridiculous for a keeper deemed championship standard. 

Westwood plays regularly next season then I would back us to stay up. Experience is key next season and seeing Westwood back in goal would give most fans a lift? If he's not restored then we're definitely down.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dagmeister's Shadow said:

Westwood is done here Jim and rightly so IMO. If a player doesn't respond properly to being dropped he's unselectable. He didn't.

Factor in that he's on his way down through age and there's zero evidence to support that he'll not just resume at the same poor standards that led to his being dropped.

We may loan an experienced keeper but Westwood must and I believe will be moved away from the club.

whilst I think he could still do a job at this level it’s not really forward thinking. Him being here is absolutely detrimental to the young lads development. Even if they’re playing they are under added pressure with him still in the picture. For that reason he has to go. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Dagmeister's Shadow said:

Westwood is done here Jim and rightly so IMO. If a player doesn't respond properly to being dropped he's unselectable. He didn't.

Factor in that he's on his way down through age and there's zero evidence to support that he'll not just resume at the same poor standards that led to his being dropped.

We may loan an experienced keeper but Westwood must and I believe will be moved away from the club.

I take your point Dag but the chances of us moving any of our surplus to requirements players are slim due to the current financial climate. Westwood will more than likely stay which means there won't be much wiggle room to bring in the experienced keeper we desperately need. So IMO we need to wipe the slate clean giving where we are now and use him as both Dawson and Wildsmith are League 1 standard at best and that's where we'll end up if either is the regular no 1 next season.

55 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

Having three players for that position probably makes it unlikely rather than essential. If Westwood leaves, and we can get one if others out on loan then maybe I could see us going out to get a proven keeper like Darlow from Newcastle or someone similar. But if can’t shift 1/2 of the 3 can’t see us strengthening. 

it looks like whatever happens Westwood won’t play for us again. I just don’t feel either of Wildsmith or Dawson have the qualities to be our number one. Even more so with the position we find ourselves in starting the season on -12. We need someone to give the defence confidence and I just don’t think those 2 do that. 

• Like 1

We’ve already lost five big salaries from the payroll, plus the five loanees, so we need to use that freed up money to bring in the 5-6 starters we really need. Then, if we can get rid of a few more, we can think about a few more additions. 

40 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

We’ve already lost five big salaries from the payroll, plus the five loanees, so we need to use that freed up money to bring in the 5-6 starters we really need. Then, if we can get rid of a few more, we can think about a few more additions. 

We'll have to use less of that 'spare' cash to stay within P&S or we'll be back here again. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gurujuan said:

The 5 big salaries and 5 loanees helped make us fall foul of the FFP rules

What if it isn't freed up money

What if it's money we didn't have

Might explain why we're looking at kids from Man City

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

Look we lost 12 players at the end of the season, currently we have sign 1 player, we have 1 striker that never plays on silly money, we have no wing backs at the club and no right midfielder, there are huge holes in the squad and the players report back for training in 7 days.

Monk summer revolution needs players, or we start the season with the same tired, under performing team. 

We also have our few remaining senior players in the last 12 months of their contracts if we start the season with Bannan, Lees, Reach, Westwood they need resigning to longer deals. If they are not wanted or won't resign they are sold or loan out for the season. We cannot have £3-4m wasted in wages for Westwood, Rhodes to leave on free next summer. Reach cost £5m and in 11 months we get nothing when he's a free agent.

The club cannot continue to be run so apaulingly bad. No players should leave on frees or sit in stand never playing.

• Like 9

Ff abdi Boyd winnall fletch hutch hooper all left this last 12 month? Apart from winnall who was rumoured to be on £16/18k a week rest were well above £20-30 k a week? That’s one hell of a saving going forward? Then there the ground sale? If it’s not gone in 16/17 figure it’s gone in yr after? Apart from van aken whicjh was 3 yrs ago we haven’t really spent much money? Loungo last summer ? But we also sold joao last summer plus Bruce compo money ? So if it’s a three yr rolling cycle surely gota be some wriggle room somewhere? I’m not taking splashing 3-4 m on a few single players but for quality loans and free agents sure we can be competitive? -12 factor ob gona make some players not want to come but if they got that attitude not right players to sign anyway for what’s gona be a dog fight 

Guest Kagoshimaowl
3 hours ago, Dagmeister's Shadow said:

He needed to prove this by reacting properly to his deserved dropping. He didn't. He made himself unselectable.

BTW making up puerile names for players really doesn't enhance any argument IMO.

If you believe Monk. I personally think it’s debatable.

Guest Kagoshimaowl
2 hours ago, Philb125 said:

whilst I think he could still do a job at this level it’s not really forward thinking. Him being here is absolutely detrimental to the young lads development. Even if they’re playing they are under added pressure with him still in the picture. For that reason he has to go. 

Fine but we start the season with either Joe or Cam in goal and we will CERTAINLY go down. Both dire!

Just now, Kagoshimaowl said:

Fine but we start the season with either Joe or Cam in goal and we will CERTAINLY go down. Both dire!

Im glad you typed it in CAPITALS. Must be true now you’ve done that! Valuable insight, great logic, positive and supportive as ever. 

46 minutes ago, room0035 said:

Look we lost 12 players at the end of the season, currently we have sign 1 player, we have 1 striker that never plays on silly money, we have no wing backs at the club and no right midfielder, there are huge holes in the squad and the players report back for training in 7 days.

Monk summer revolution needs players, or we start the season with the same tired, under performing team. 

We also have our few remaining senior players in the last 12 months of their contracts if we start the season with Bannan, Lees, Reach, Westwood they need resigning to longer deals. If they are not wanted or won't resign they are sold or loan out for the season. We cannot have £3-4m wasted in wages for Westwood, Rhodes to leave on free next summer. Reach cost £5m and in 11 months we get nothing when he's a free agent.

The club cannot continue to be run so apaulingly bad. No players should leave on frees or sit in stand never playing.

But that is what more than likely will happen?

With 12 gone, and only one in, we really need to get cracking. Even the rumours have dried up. In fact, the only rumours that have surfaced is, that we might be giving new contracts to three of those who had left us. What of the U23s, work to be done there as well. I imagine the usual training games featuring defence v attack, will be Jordan Rhodes against everybody else

Hoping someone takes Bannan and the 12 month crew off us, although interesting nobody has ever really tried for him in particular.

Goes completely against a mobile midfield and if we aren't looking at promotion this season anyway I'm sure someone else can be more use in a relegation dogfight.

He's gone end of the season anyway and if he extends we would then have him at nearly 32 running the midfield season after. Get a fee. 

• Like 4