Official Summer Transfer Rumours Thread 2020-2021

17 minutes ago, TrickyTrev said:

So you don’t think our back line would benefit from having an experienced leader in it?

We play 3 at the back so any pace an experienced defender coming into the club lacks wouldn’t be so easily exposed but his experience and leadership qualities could have a calming affect on a defence which was anything but solid last season.

Roger Johnson, Anthoney Gardener, Michael Johnson, Oguchi Onyewu, Glen Loovens... all examples of when we have previously bought in experienced defenders to help us stop leaking goals and it’s worked.

”Young and talented” isn’t always the answer and although I’m glad to see us targeting younger players with a higher potential resale value, there has to be a balance and I think it was clear for all to see last season that this team lacked leaders.

I agree with the above, but a 33-year-old Richard Keogh trying to make his way back from a serious knee injury sustained while on a mid-season bender with his teammates wouldn't be the player I'd go for.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

On 04/08/2020 at 22:02, Swiss Toni said:

I did say some are now in achievable now due to the points deduction. Why is Gallagher laughable? He’s been at Swansea this season. I guarantee at least one on that list will be playing for us next season. I’ll stake my season ticket on it 🤣

Swansea are recently in the premier league and play good passing attacking football (and got to the play offs) - chelsea pulled him from relegation threatened side in charlton and gave him to swansea Cos they were top half and playing better football more in line with Chelsea’s philosophy.

Not saying that all of your suggestions are unrealistic either. Just the specific ones I highlighted as batshit mental. Half of them played European football last season. 

5 hours ago, camffiti said:

Their fans were flouncing all over twitter, about the prospect of a Fletcher & Taylor strike force 

Yeah, I can see why they wouldn’t be happy. Gary Taylor-Fletcher must be nearly 40 by now. 

• Haha 2

I still don't think we'll have many players in before the start of the season. It'll be a month in to the season before our recruitment really gets going. Every chance it'll be Rhodes and Hagan as the front two on opening day.

Just now, Jim said:

I still don't think we'll have many players in before the start of the season. It'll be a month in to the season before our recruitment really gets going. Every chance it'll be Rhodes and Hagan as the front two on opening day.

You have just convinced me to end it all, goodbye cruel world.

• Haha 2

I usually don't expect us to start scraping until closer to deadline day. 

Can we cope until October, with our current squad though? 

Wildsmith

Odubajo

Iorfa

Lees

Borner

Palmer 

Luongo

Bannan

Reach 

Rhodes

Harris 

Probably forgetting a couple of players, but I'm struggling to piece together a starting XI 

5 minutes ago, camffiti said:

I usually don't expect us to start scraping until closer to deadline day. 

Can we cope until October, with our current squad though? 

Wildsmith

Odubajo

Iorfa

Lees

Borner

Palmer 

Luongo

Bannan

Reach 

Rhodes

Harris 

Probably forgetting a couple of players, but I'm struggling to piece together a starting XI 

We have to at least get another 2 or 3 in by time the season starts. 2 forwards is a must. Probably end up being Nuhui and Windass though.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, S72 Owl said:

We have to at least get another 2 or 3 in by time the season starts. 2 forwards is a must. Probably end up being Nuhui and Windass though.

And the rest, Rhodes is our only contracted forward and Monk doesn't play him (cant fault him there TBH).

Training going to be a bit one dimensional, good old fashioned game of defence vs defence 😀

7 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

I agree with the above, but a 33-year-old Richard Keogh trying to make his way back from a serious knee injury sustained while on a mid-season bender with his teammates wouldn't be the player I'd go for.

He's a disgrace. Don't want characters like this at our club 

1 hour ago, WalthamOwl said:

isn’t this the account that said we where after Jesus. Not sure how reliable he is

Yep, his posts sound like someone pretending to know about football gossip. Then when 1 in 20 guesses lands he comes up with “told you so”.  We’ve seen plenty of those in the past.  

Hope we do sign Keke but with interest from elsewhere it will be very difficult 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

The only new players we seem to be getting linked to are ones that you would probably class as development players. Not sure how many would be ready for the first team. 

Personally I'd prefer us to have a young vibrant energetic team. As long as we mix it up with some experience and some physicality. To be more effective at this level I think we need a far better blend of ball players; battlers, solidity, creativity and goals.

Looking at many of the recent top 6 sides and the ones that almost made it, they seemed to have a good solid mix of youth; experience, battlers, ball players and goals, throughout their teams.

I'd prefer us to build something like that over time, sensibly. If it as similar results to those clubs or clubs that seem to be progressing steadily on and off the pitch year on year. 

Edited by The Night-Owl
  • Like 2