Official Summer Transfer Rumours Thread 2020-2021

1 minute ago, s29wfc said:

Irrespective of how much money they're on, we still have 20 first team players currently that will start the season, 10 more and that squad then becomes too big again. We've had to sell our ground to get around ffp, you would think we would learn our lesson than to have a big bloated squad again, Leeds won the league by having a core of about 18 players so they proved you dont need a massive squad. 4 or 5 quality additions to go straight into the first 11 will suffice.

You’re saying 20 players but a few only have a handful of football league matches between them. 

They may well make the step up, but to me and I’d assume most they won’t be counted in that 20. Why not say the remainder of the under 23’s means we have a squad of 25-30 so we don’t need to buy anyone? 

Out of 20 aren’t 4 goalkeepers? One older one who’s now 3rd choice due to arguably the best and most experienced being frozen out.

To me that means 18 players then minus at least 3-4 youngsters who’ve not played 5 games. So a generous 15 players we have. 

This is the outfield squad we have excluding goalkeepers 

DEFENCE 

Liam Palmer (not good enough/squad player)

Joost Van Aken (not good enough but maybe chance after loan)

Osaze Urhoghide (young, 3 league games)

Moses Odubajo (not good enough/backup)

Dominic Iorfa

Julien Borner

Tom lees (needs a fresh start)

MIDFIELD 

Barry Bannan

Kadeem Harris

Joey Pelupessy (not good enough)

Adam Reach (shocking form for at least 1 season) 

Massimo Luongo 

Fisayo Dele-Bashiru (Not played first team football)

Alex Hunt (6 league games, most subs)

Liam Shaw (2 games for us, 4 at chesterfield)

Strikers 

Jordan Rhodes (I like him but shown to not be up to it for us)

Of course that’s my opinion on some players, but I think a lot of fans think the same. That list right there shows the monumental job we have just to be competitive in this division.

We need bodies through the door and lots of them. Both for the first team and under 23’s.

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, s29wfc said:

That's totally not my point,  they are in the first team squad and will be on good money no doubt.

You just said irrespective of money in your lost before it. 

So does the money matter or not when qualifying players for the first team squad.

Osaze, Shaw and Hunt have 11 league games between them and half are subs appearances.

They may well play a part, but take those out the equation and 4 keepers. We have 13 outfield players and the majority ain’t very good.

16 minutes ago, jonesy87shef said:

You just said irrespective of money in your lost before it. 

So does the money matter or not when qualifying players for the first team squad.

Osaze, Shaw and Hunt have 11 league games between them and half are subs appearances.

They may well play a part, but take those out the equation and 4 keepers. We have 13 outfield players and the majority ain’t very good.

Is it not 3 goal keepers now, I thought Paul Jones only extended his contract until the end of the extended season ?

1 minute ago, Hookowl said:

Is it not 3 goal keepers now, I thought Paul Jones only extended his contract until the end of the extended season ?

I thought he was released, but checked and I don’t think it’s been updated.

I’m also going off the list that was posted on here a while ago and added the city lad.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jp1981 said:

If he turns up with his boots for pre-season, he might get a game.lol

Even tho hes not as good as what we have I'd be happy to see him play we need these characters back in this team all we have is a bunch of grey men. Excluding Forestieri first 2 seasons .

51 minutes ago, Hitcat said:

If anyone thinks we went through all this hassle with the EFL only to slip into League One next season with a bunch of untried kids and unfit loans then think again. We'll invest substantially.

Great, lets hope we do it as sustainably as last time. :duntmatter:

• Haha 2

Was pondering our transfer policies drinking my coffee at first break the other day 

When it struck me prior to Steve Bruce coming in Dc was being lead by arfur Daley. 

We basically buying used cars (signing player's) from a dodgy backstreet salesman (paxo n Co). Who's owners (clubs) new they were about done. 

Then when they wouldn't start or run so finding out they were knackered parking them up (having to wait till contracts run out) becouse they had no re-sale value (ready for the scrapyard) lol

71gAifp0LaL.jpg

Edited by shezzas left peg
  • Haha 1

On 05/08/2020 at 09:14, Plonk said:

Well Monk was saying last week he didn’t know if KL and Atdhe were coming or going. They are surely the two easiest deals to do. It worried me then. We are now at least a week on and still nothing. 

If we've offered them both vastly reduced deals and said that's it take it or leave it... Go away and have a think about it. Then it's understandable, though I can't see our lot being that clear cut. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, vulture_squadron said:

Players will be in no rush to sign deals in the EFL this summer. Terms will be much lower this year and they will wait to see if clubs offer more as it gets closer to deadline.

Unless they decide there's a chance there will be another lockdown and clubs will be forced to close. If that is the case they might want the comfort of a 2 or 3 year contract signed as soon as possible.

With no gate receipts wages will be down. Take what you can get, it's possible L1 ans L2 won't even have a season this time round.

47 minutes ago, prowl said:

Unless they decide there's a chance there will be another lockdown and clubs will be forced to close. If that is the case they might want the comfort of a 2 or 3 year contract signed as soon as possible.

With no gate receipts wages will be down. Take what you can get, it's possible L1 ans L2 won't even have a season this time round.

Yeah that's a really good point. Still think there's a bit more waiting to be done though. A surge in cases and talk of another lockdown would probably set the ball rolling but might already be too late.

Now the league members are decided you'd expect the initial contract offers are on the table and the agents are hustling. Players will come back off holiday next week or week after and we'll probably start to see some movement.