Official Summer Transfer Rumours Thread 2020-2021

4 hours ago, LondonOwl313 said:

So by this logic, we should have got rid of both of them years ago, when Westwood was undoubtedly the best keeper in the league at that time. He was even voted as such in the Championship team of the year.

Plenty of players adapt their training schedules to manage injuries, happens all the time. What matters is what happens on the pitch at 3pm on a Saturday, and both these two played well in the games so to be quite honest, how frequently they trained just isn't important. 

The reasons for our demise have little to do with Carlos and everything to do with how the finances and squad turnover have been managed. Practically everything we did from the moment Chansiri arrived until after Wembley couldn't really be faulted, we played well throughout the season, deservedly made the play offs and then came up short against a more experienced and more physical Hull side managed by a serial promotion winner.

Where it went wrong is after that. We broke our wage structure by signing Fletcher, then that upset Forestieri. We also gave big pay rises to a lot of the squad including Lees, Hutchinson and Lee. So our costs went up for the same team we had already. We also signed Abdi and Jones which was very clearly not what was needed when we knew we needed a Mo Diame or Tom Huddlestone type of player. We had the chance to sell players around that time including Lees to PL Burnley for about £6m or Forestieri to Newcastle for £10m+.

Instead we sold nobody. Whether players get sold is the chairman and his advisors remit not the coaches. A savvy club would have cashed in 2-3 of those players while their stock was high, raised £20m then brought in some quality players to fill gaps in the squad.

If anything its all gone wrong because Chansiri's advisors are inadequate and he's too loyal to get rid of them, and he's also made some shocking managerial appointments giving them too much time, plus got unlucky with the Bruce situation. The last 3 years we've been desperate for a refresh but unable to do anything due to FFP and we've left ourselves with no saleable assets.

It baffles me why some of our fans think the reasons we're no good anymore isn't because we're unable to sign players of the quality of Westwood and Hutchinson but instead its because we don't have enough loyal triers. Money talks and it predetermines most teams' success. We know this is the case otherwise the same 6 teams wouldn't finish at the top of the Prem most years. There are obviously a few exceptions to this but its not the norm, its just a shame that one of them is in the other third of the city.

In my opinion:

We heavily invested in a sprint to get promoted as quickly as possible. 

We had fantastic first season under Canshiri and almost made it, logic afterwards was that we are very close and need experienced players who already got promoted from this league and that is what we did. 

We gambled all we had on one go, instead of building right base for sustained push towards Premier League and it backfired. 

In my opinion it was wrong approach as I sad even then. Even if we did it it would left us with 10 (or so) players short to try and stay up. 

Such a shame that someone like Mandaric didn't have such funds at his disposal as we would be Premiership club by now. 

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Rogers said:

Paul McGrath and Ledley King trained when they wanted; Big Ron and Harry Redknapp did what they had to, to get the best out of them in match day. 

the bullying accusations..still no real facts surrounding this. Is there? 

Chris Kirkland on his under the cosh interview, talks about how good the club were giving him days off and letting him miss days when needed for his wellbeing. 

Why do you assume the club are in the wrong with Hutchinson? Maybe thry gave an inch and he took a mile? Maybe the club were at fault. Maybe people shouldn't speculate when they have no where near all the information around the situation

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, fudge27 said:

Chris Kirkland on his under the cosh interview, talks about how good the club were giving him days off and letting him miss days when needed for his wellbeing. 

Why do you assume the club are in the wrong with Hutchinson? Maybe thry gave an inch and he took a mile? Maybe the club were at fault. Maybe people shouldn't speculate when they have no where near all the information around the situation

1) I gave examples of where players that trained when they wanted (or felt fit to), in response to someone making accusations that it was bad for players to train when they wanted. Didn’t specifically mention how Hutch or Westwood trained. Just stated that it’s all about the performance on match day that counts. 

2) I was saying people shouldn’t talk about those players bullying others, or stating it as a fact, without real facts. 

12 minutes ago, Rogers said:

1) I gave examples of where players that trained when they wanted (or felt fit to), in response to someone making accusations that it was bad for players to train when they wanted. Didn’t specifically mention how Hutch or Westwood trained. Just stated that it’s all about the performance on match day that counts. 

2) I was saying people shouldn’t talk about those players bullying others, or stating it as a fact, without real facts. 

I didn't mean it aimed at you specifically, I get that's the perception cos I quoted you. 

I meant all this speculation about behind the scenes stuff when to be reyt none of us know. 

12 minutes ago, fudge27 said:

I didn't mean it aimed at you specifically, I get that's the perception cos I quoted you. 

I meant all this speculation about behind the scenes stuff when to be reyt none of us know. 

exactly. I’m with you on the speculation and no facts 

Guest Kagoshimaowl
45 minutes ago, TheCityIsOurs said:

Plays a fair bit upfront, got a lot of pace to him, scored a brace in hibs first game upfront this season, just if these rumours are true or not 

Let’s go for it then. All in!!

2 hours ago, cardiffowl06 said:

We're been worryingly slow to sign players, aren't we?

3 hours ago, Dutch McLovin said:

So we actually gonna sign anyone or shall I pick my first game 11 now ??

I doubt it's the club's choice.

The transfer window doesn't close until mid-October; over a month after the new season's fixtures begin.  So any free agent or player looking to move can afford to take their time and be none-committal until at least the end of September.

Then once we get to the first week of October, certain clubs will start to get desperate for signings and that's when the panic buys and mad flurry of moves will happen.

Players will be in the driving seat of any transfer that late in the window (of course) and their agents will be able to negotiate a wage and contract length that suits their client.

With so much financial instability in football right now, you can probably forgive players for wanting to join a club that's a safe bet to still be solvent in the next few months/years.

Then you've got to consider that many of our potential signings will be put off by our points deduction.

Some won't want to join us until they've seen how we cope in the first few games of the new season.  And if it looks like we're destined for League One after a season of struggle, that might convince them to join a different club, or just stay put where they are.

I'm bracing myself for an extremely slow-moving transfer window for SWFC.

3 hours ago, Westfield Owl said:

The transfer window doesn't close until mid-October; over a month after the new season's fixtures begin.  So any free agent or player looking to move can afford to take their time and be none-committal until at least the end of September.

Then once we get to the first week of October, certain clubs will start to get desperate for signings and that's when the panic buys and mad flurry of moves will happen.

Players will be in the driving seat of any transfer that late in the window (of course) and their agents will be able to negotiate a wage and contract length that suits their client.

With so much financial instability in football right now, you can probably forgive players for wanting to join a club that's a safe bet to still be solvent in the next few months/years.

Then you've got to consider that many of our potential signings will be put off by our points deduction.

Some won't want to join us until they've seen how we cope in the first few games of the new season.  And if it looks like we're destined for League One after a season of struggle, that might convince them to join a different club, or just stay put where they are.

Arrh but all these free agents aren't getting paid until they're on someone's books and I don't know how they'll cope... I mean they couldn't take a wage reduction through lockdown so I can see most of them ending up living in a cardboard box unless they start earning their £10000/£20000/£30000 per week again. :duntmatter:

3 hours ago, Westfield Owl said:

Oh dear, so we will have to wait until the end of the window, before joining the rest in making panic buys and desperation signings then

• Like 1

As it stands, I’d say, 

Wildsmith

Palmer, IIorfa, Borner, Penney

Reach, Luongo,Bannan, Dele, Harris

Rhodes

(bench - Dawson, Van Aken, Lees, Hunt, Odubajo)

Hopefully bring in Windas, then we still need a left back, a right back, another midfielder and 2 strikers. 

Crikey.....lots to do there