Official Summer Transfer Rumours Thread 2020-2021

4 minutes ago, sMacLean said:

Expecting big investment. Season after next we can be a real force again. Time to get the side bedded in.

That’s an important point, whilst we need to win enough games to preserve our status, it should be very much about building a platform

• Like 3

I’ve heard today that Bolton Wanderers have already signed 8 players since their league was suspended. I appreciate that as they are regrettably now in League 2 they are probably not looking at high quality players but it does beg the question that we need to get a move on.

in the knowledge that we need quite a few new players and I only hope that  DC and co.are busy behind the scenes.

Living in the North West I don’t hear local gossip about who might be on our radar and even the rumour mongers have gone quiet so I hope it’s a case of keep it quite and out of the gaze of journalists etc until the deals are done.

10 hours ago, vulture_squadron said:

Yeah that's a really good point. Still think there's a bit more waiting to be done though. A surge in cases and talk of another lockdown would probably set the ball rolling but might already be too late.

Now the league members are decided you'd expect the initial contract offers are on the table and the agents are hustling. Players will come back off holiday next week or week after and we'll probably start to see some movement.

Or they end up without a club like hooper

So we look as we’ve lost out of 2, or maybe 3, of our wanted list, and have brought in just the one Possibly loan decisions won’t be made until the end of the month, but you’d like to think we’d have our permanent signings in shortly. I would imagine we’d want to have at least three strikers on permanent deals, and one of our options, Lyle Taylor, is now in talks with Celtic

3 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

So we look as we’ve lost out of 2, or maybe 3, of our wanted list, and have brought in just the one Possibly loan decisions won’t be made until the end of the month, but you’d like to think we’d have our permanent signings in shortly. I would imagine we’d want to have at least three strikers on permanent deals, and one of our options, Lyle Taylor, is now in talks with Celtic

Who have we apparently missed out in?

I’m guessing it may be a wish list or is it players we’ve had a tangible link with?

Guest wilyfox
4 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

What makes Taylor one of our options? Monk remarked against him for not restarting with Charlton. 

Richard Keogh has just signed for MK Dons.

As we are going to struggle to attract players this summer given the points deduction, at 33 I’d have taken him on a 12 month contract at Hillsborough.

Tom Lees game has gone to s**t since Loovens left and I honestly think our back line is desperate for some experience, in a 3 I still think he could do a job at this level for another 12 months.

1 minute ago, TrickyTrev said:

As we are going to struggle to attract players this summer given the points deduction, at 33 I’d have taken him on a 12 month contract at Hillsborough.

Tom Lees game has gone to s**t since Loovens left and I honestly think our back line is desperate for some experience, in a 3 I still think he could do a job at this level for another 12 months.

As he not played since his car accident been long term with a knee injury

2 minutes ago, TrickyTrev said:

Ye agree depending on how he has recovered from his injury. Potential captain too. 

• Like 1

Just now, sheffwed1 said:

Ye agree depending on how he has recovered from his injury. Potential captain too. 

It cracks me up , we finally get to a point where we can rebuild are team , with young talented players who have something to offer the game . And your idea of a signing is Richard Keogh a 33 year old who has just broke both his legs in car crash when drunk ... the only thing that wee wees me off more than the way are club has been run is some of our fans . No offence lol

5 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

What makes Taylor one of our options? Monk remarked against him for not restarting with Charlton. 

Only going on players we’ve been linked with in the press, that’s all. Maybe Monk has had second thoughts about his attitude, maybe we were never really interested, who knows. This is going to be pretty tricky, particularly if we are looking at a brand new pairing. They have to be compatible, so we need to make sure we could secure both, before sanctioning a deal for one. 

1 minute ago, Craig enock said:

It cracks me up , we finally get to a point where we can rebuild are team , with young talented players who have something to offer the game . And your idea of a signing is Richard Keogh a 33 year old who has just broke both his legs in car crash when drunk ... the only thing that wee wees me off more than the way are club has been run is some of our fans . No offence lol

Like I said depends on how he is after the injury. We don’t want a team full of youth players especially not on the situation we find ourselves in. 

• Like 1

Guest wilyfox
3 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Only going on players we’ve been linked with in the press, that’s all. Maybe Monk has had second thoughts about his attitude, maybe we were never really interested, who knows. This is going to be pretty tricky, particularly if we are looking at a brand new pairing. They have to be compatible, so we need to make sure we could secure both, before sanctioning a deal for one. 

I don't think we've given much thought to combinations in recent years. The last time was probably signing both Joao & Matias from Nacional. Even then, Carlos sold Matias out by ditching 433. Our forwards have been a collection of odds & sods. 

Guest domSWFC
21 hours ago, flo said:

We should sign Balotelli. 

Makes Jay Bothroyd look like a work horse. All the talent, 0 application. 

But a true maverick. 

4 hours ago, bolton9owl said:

I’ve heard today that Bolton Wanderers have already signed 8 players since their league was suspended. I appreciate that as they are regrettably now in League 2 they are probably not looking at high quality players but it does beg the question that we need to get a move on.

in the knowledge that we need quite a few new players and I only hope that  DC and co.are busy behind the scenes.

Living in the North West I don’t hear local gossip about who might be on our radar and even the rumour mongers have gone quiet so I hope it’s a case of keep it quite and out of the gaze of journalists etc until the deals are done.

I get what you mean but I think our transfer objectives will have been put on the back burner until last week purely because, if we were expecting to win the appeal we probably had better players in mind. We now have to accept that any of those players will not likely want to come to a club on a 12 point deduction. 

Although saying that, most transfers these days are heavily influenced by agents. Higher fees and wages offered by a particular club means they will get more money so will try and move players to said club.

10 minutes ago, TrickyTrev said:

Not sure what the clubs thinking will be re centre backs, there are a few questions. First, do we intend to use 2 or 3, which is important as it will effect the type we are looking for. If it’s a 2, will we find better than Iorfa and Borner? If it’s a 3, we could look for a big stopper to take the middle slot, or maybe a ball playing centre back who is comfortable stepping out. 
Personally, I’d favour a 2, Iorfa and Borner, with a big defensive midfielder in front. Other question marks, what of Tom Lees, at this stage of his career, will he want to be back up? Then what of Van Aken, will he be given an extended run? We also have Urhoghide, who I believe, will eventually return to centre back A lot of questions

• Like 1

Also, are there any players at the teams that got relegated worth looking at that we might be able to get on a cheap. Whatever happened to Lyle taylor by the way? I know Barnsley survived relegation at the last moment I was also hoping we might have gone in for woodrow in January. At that point they looked relegated and we could have got him on the cheap. Now that they’ve stayed up they will demand more money... Oh the Wednesday way

• Haha 1

Lazy to ask rather than digitout, but who do we have on our books that only have a year remaining on their contract. If they are of use to us or elsewhere we should be signing up or selling. Thinking Bannan and Reach, primarily.

4 minutes ago, Sefton owl said:

Also, are there any players at the teams that got relegated worth looking at that we might be able to get on a cheap. Whatever happened to Lyle taylor by the way? I know Barnsley survived relegation at the last moment I was also hoping we might have gone in for woodrow in January. At that point they looked relegated and we could have got him on the cheap. Now that they’ve stayed up they will demand more money... Oh the Wednesday way

Yesterday, Lyle Taylor was reported to be in talks with Celtic 

Their fans were flouncing all over twitter, about the prospect of a Fletcher & Taylor strike force 

37 minutes ago, Craig enock said:

So you don’t think our back line would benefit from having an experienced leader in it?

We play 3 at the back so any pace an experienced defender coming into the club lacks wouldn’t be so easily exposed but his experience and leadership qualities could have a calming affect on a defence which was anything but solid last season.

Roger Johnson, Anthoney Gardener, Michael Johnson, Oguchi Onyewu, Glen Loovens... all examples of when we have previously bought in experienced defenders to help us stop leaking goals and it’s worked.

”Young and talented” isn’t always the answer and although I’m glad to see us targeting younger players with a higher potential resale value, there has to be a balance and I think it was clear for all to see last season that this team lacked leaders.

• Like 7