Official Summer Transfer Rumours Thread 2020-2021

I think it's safe to assume that behind the scenes people are working their backsides off to get players in ASAP, it's just never that simple though is it.  Especially with us.

Edited by BonesyOwl

1 minute ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Same gets said every year. We actually need around 10 new players to compete. Would have hoped 3 or 4 were through the door, but it’s Wednesday.

if you think we'll be signing 10 new players then you're going to be disappointed, we still have 20 first teamers on the books currently and whether people think they are worthy or not they are still squad members. Quality rather than quantity this time for me. No over inflated squad, 4 or 5 to go straight into the first 11 is the way I would hope Monk will go.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Maddogbob said:

Hmmmmmm. The lack of action seems worrying. 

I think it’s likely that given our 12 point deduction, any body we approach might want to wait to see if anyone else comes in for them before signing for Wednesday.

3 minutes ago, s29wfc said:

if you think we'll be signing 10 new players then you're going to be disappointed, we still have 20 first teamers on the books currently and whether people think they are worthy or not they are still squad members. Quality rather than quantity this time for me. No over inflated squad, 4 or 5 to go straight into the first 11 is the way I would hope Monk will go.

Which of course begs the question, why the hell are we contemplating new deals for more out of contract players

1 minute ago, gurujuan said:

Which of course begs the question, why the hell are we contemplating new deals for more out of contract players

afraid I can't answer that one, this was the perfect opportunity to release the whole lot that were out of contract , start again as such.

1 minute ago, gurujuan said:

The squad that, since Christmas, has been outperformed by every team aside from Hull

Agreed, but they are still part of our squad so until we get them out we won't be getting the 9 or 10 players in , hasn't that been our downfall in recent seasons? Stockpiling players? 

Just now, s29wfc said:

Agreed, but they are still part of our squad so until we get them out we won't be getting the 9 or 10 players in , hasn't that been our downfall in recent seasons? Stockpiling players? 

of those 20 you have 

Liam shaw and Alex hunt , young lads who will play a part but in terms of wages are very small , urgohide also falls in to this category and potentially Penney  so ‘stockpiling’ was more when we had likes of Boyd . Jones etc who weren’t used and on big money 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, s29wfc said:

afraid I can't answer that one, this was the perfect opportunity to release the whole lot that were out of contract , start again as such.

Indeed, following every defeat it’s been, we need to clear the lot out, get rid, let Monk bring his own players in Since then we’ve offered, or are considering offering, new contracts to 7 of the 10 who were out of contract Are we supposed to believe that our dire performances were down to only 5 players, Hutchinson, Forestieri, and Winnal, players who hardly ever played

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, BarnsleyOwl96 said:

of those 20 you have 

Liam shaw and Alex hunt , young lads who will play a part but in terms of wages are very small , urgohide also falls in to this category and potentially Penney  so ‘stockpiling’ was more when we had likes of Boyd . Jones etc who weren’t used and on big money 

Irrespective of how much money they're on, we still have 20 first team players currently that will start the season, 10 more and that squad then becomes too big again. We've had to sell our ground to get around ffp, you would think we would learn our lesson than to have a big bloated squad again, Leeds won the league by having a core of about 18 players so they proved you dont need a massive squad. 4 or 5 quality additions to go straight into the first 11 will suffice.

2 minutes ago, s29wfc said:

Irrespective of how much money they're on, we still have 20 first team players currently that will start the season, 10 more and that squad then becomes too big again. We've had to sell our ground to get around ffp, you would think we would learn our lesson than to have a big bloated squad again, Leeds won the league by having a core of about 18 players so they proved you dont need a massive squad. 4 or 5 quality additions to go straight into the first 11 will suffice.

Leeds didn’t use that many players, but they still had a squad of 27 players In principle, I like the idea of a smaller squad, with the emphasis on quality, rather than quantity We could do this for example, if we assembled a competitive U23 squad, from which players could step up