Official Summer Transfer Rumours Thread 2020-2021

2 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

I remember when we were rock bottom of the league and we brought in Michael Johnson and Graham Kavanagh on loan both 33+. They came in and we started getting points and climbing the league.

Age is irrelevant. It’s about the type of characters. In the past we’ve signed talented players who came her for a final pay check. Players like Flint don’t fall into that category. 

They were what we needed at the time. They did the job and moved on.

First, I don't think Flint is anywhere near as good as he was couple of years ago.

Second, We will have to spend on his transfer fee and on (at least) two years deal on what will be very high wages for club in our situation.

Very, very expensive short term defensive fix for club that conceded just 3 goals in 4 league games.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, malek said:

They were what we needed at the time. They did the job and moved on.

First, I don't think Flint is anywhere near as good as he was couple of years ago.

Second, We will have to spend on his transfer fee and on (at least) two years deal on what will be very high wages for club in our situation.

Very, very expensive short term defensive fix for club that conceded just 3 goals in 4 league games.

Could be a season loan with us picking up a large chunk of wages

Would potentially work for all parties

11 hours ago, malek said:

Signing Flint seems like a short term fix for a long term problem that would cost a lot. Seems like a type of signing that got us in curent situation. 

Agree, 31, loss of form and on decent wages. 

3 years ago this was a good signing. Now not for me.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, LoanRanger said:

What makes people think Arsenal would send Saliba up north to a club who started the season on -12 I'll never know. If he came down to the Championship they'd offer him to Brentford, Watford, maybe Bournemouth and Norwich. That's the sad reality but it's not about us being slow off the mark to try get a player like this. It's simply massively unrealistic.

I for one would be delighted with Flint anyway, another massive character with plenty of fight in him. 

Agree it is unrealistic. This is the kind of signing we could and should have been in for when we were playing nice football and in the playoff mix in the early period under CC. 

Now we have no chance of signing Saliba.

2 hours ago, 0114 said:

Liam Palmer may be open to a loan move away from Sheffield Wednesday. The midfielder, 29, fears his Scotland chances will be hit if the Owls continue to keep him on the sidelines. 

Only about 8 years too late. Load of carp like Monk will pick him when he can but would love us to sell him hes never been good enough for this level IMO.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Royal_D said:

Can’t see us getting flint 

If watford lose dawson to west ham and they go for iorfa then I can definitely see eus going  for flint .... looks like the young lad we got who injured against qpr is going to be out for a long time ... don't know the extent of lees injury .... if we on top of that lose iorfa them we need to prob make 2 signings in that area 

6 minutes ago, Craig enock said:

If watford lose dawson to west ham and they go for iorfa then I can definitely see eus going  for flint .... looks like the young lad we got who injured against qpr is going to be out for a long time ... don't know the extent of lees injury .... if we on top of that lose iorfa them we need to prob make 2 signings in that area 

That's the only scenario I could see us going for flint as a short term first team ready stop gap. 

If we're not losing Iorfa, I'd rather we focused on the type of players like Sanderson etc

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 0114 said:

Liam Palmer may be open to a loan move away from Sheffield Wednesday. The midfielder, 29, fears his Scotland chances will be hit if the Owls continue to keep him on the sidelines. 

Cant see that being a very reliable sources considering Liam Palmers not been a midfielder for 7-8 years.

He’s been carrying this back issue for a while which is why he’s been in and out the side. 

A non-story.

2 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

I'd be surprised if that happened.

We need Palmer as he's a very useful squad player who can slot into a variety of positions.

I can't imagine he'd be first choice right-back for too many Championship clubs either, so unless he's considering dropping to League One, he might find his chances are limited. Would that improve his chances with Scotland, though?

I totally agree, save for a side like Rotherham, Palmer wouldn't be getting anywhere near any Championship XI

1 hour ago, edwinowl said:

See derby after Austin and we’re after Zahore personally prefer to go for Austin 

Rather have Grosicki than either of those two to be fair and could bring the lad in from Man City and still have change. 

12 hours ago, LoanRanger said:

What makes people think Arsenal would send Saliba up north to a club who started the season on -12 I'll never know. If he came down to the Championship they'd offer him to Brentford, Watford, maybe Bournemouth and Norwich. That's the sad reality but it's not about us being slow off the mark to try get a player like this. It's simply massively unrealistic.

I for one would be delighted with Flint anyway, another massive character with plenty of fight in him. 

I said it was very unlikely, but should be putting ourselves forward anyway. Especially because we are one of few clubs who would guarantee him game time.

We also signed Izzy Brown when in reality I would have thought we stand very little chance. 

It was never mooted as a realistic option, but look his paper work to France has fallen through. Take a punt. When I suggested it I had no idea they would even loan to the championship which it now appears they will do.

If we have money and can offer game time we are in with a shout if plenty of loans. We aren’t some random crappy club playing league 2 football.

Someone like flint is what we have needed at the back since Chansiri arrived. Not cultured enough for Carlos but when Brighton added Duffy to their back four they really kicked on whilst we didn’t. 

If we are playing it out the back I’m not sure he’s right for that and nor has he had much pace but just in terms of your archetype centre half battler who wins 90% of battles and gets the odd goal he is great at that 

• Like 1