Official Summer Transfer Rumours Thread 2020-2021

15 minutes ago, The Night-Owl said:

This ^

Flint was decent but he's lost his pace and his effectiveness. He'd be on big wages and although he's got experience, leadership and nous, we'd be better off going for players like Sanderson and Clarke-Salter.

We can see how valuable Iorfa is to us with his pace, if we lost that pace at the back and replaced it with slow players, then the opposition would exploit us using pace. We already have the likes of Lees, Van Aken and Borner, we need more pace at the back. 

Three at the back wing two quick wing backs, pace isn’t really an issue for me. As long as we have Iorfa in the side. 

Looks like Paterson’s long throw will be a weapon this season judging by the QPR game. If Paterson is taking them we don’t have much of a threat in the box attacking them. Flint would be a good player to have for that situation. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Three at the back wing two quick wing backs, pace isn’t really an issue for me. As long as we have Iorfa in the side. 

Looks like Paterson’s long throw will be a weapon this season judging by the QPR game. If Paterson is taking them we don’t have much of a threat in the box attacking them. Flint would be a good player to have for that situation. 

That's a good point, he's been good in both boxes and a battler too like you mentioned. Those attributes would help us. However, on the other hand, my concern is that he's lost his pace and he'll most probably be on fairly big wages. When we've already got slow players at the back, if we did lose Iorfa, then there'll be no-one to mop up at the back for us like he does.

I don't think three at the back suits us, it does seem more effective away from home but we need different options and players with various attributes. Although at times we look more solid, we don't seem to have enough balance in the side or enough get outs to turn tricky situations into promising ones. Like what Iorfa sometimes does for us or like Murphy did too for us in other ways. 

Without Iorfa, in our current system, and without adequately replacing Murphy and Fletcher, we don't seem effective enough in key areas and can be got at, especially at home. And we need to make more use out of our better midfield players too. Improving that balance will be key for us, along with squad depth. Signing more players past their best or more players that don't suit us or injury prone players won't help. 

Edited by The Night-Owl
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, The Night-Owl said:

That's a good point, he's been good in both boxes and a battler too like you mentioned. Those attributes would help us. However, on the other hand, my concern is that he's lost his pace and he'll most probably be on fairly big wages. When we've already got slow players at the back, if we did lose Iorfa, then there'll be no-one to mop up at the back for us like he does.

I don't think three at the back suits us, it does seem more effective away from home but we need different options and players with various attributes. Although at times we look more solid, we don't seem to have enough balance in the side or enough get outs to turn tricky situations into promising ones. Like what Iorfa sometimes does for us or like Murphy did too for us in other ways. 

Without Iorfa, in our current system, and without adequately replacing Murphy and Fletcher, we don't seem effective enough in key areas and can be got at, especially at home. And we need to make more use out of our better midfield players too. Improving that balance will be key for us, along with squad depth. Signing more players past their best or more players that don't suit us or injury prone players won't help. 

Agreed mate. I really don’t like three at the back. Much rather see us in a 4-3-3. 

But I think Monk is pretty set on this formation and has seemingly recruited with this style of play in mind. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, York_Owl said:

Good call! Looks set to join a championship club on loan with Brentford leading the way according to the BBC sport gossip column.

Thanks. Called it a couple of days ago. These are the type of players we need to rush to be in for if we can afford the loan fee when they become available.

• Like 1

Think he’s exactly wot we lack at the back? Loovens pace had gone but wot he lacked in pace he made up with organising? As long as he some pace around him( iorfa) and esp in a back 3 where it’s not so important a no brainier for me . Only problem for me is how much?? Can imagine after 2 big moves his wages will be on high side . But another with a nasty side who also chips in with a few 

• Like 1

Has Dunkley got pace? I assume he has

if so a back three of 

iorfa      Flint.      Dunkley 

would be excellent but harsh on Tom lees because he’s been very good this year but he’s injured and we need cover 

flint is the type of warrior you want in that dressing room this year and adds a huge threat on set pieces 

with iorfa out at the weekend we looked tiny as a team I was dreading it every time qpr got a corner 

to say we need 1 or 2 defenders I think you can do a lot worse than adding flint to the squad 

• Like 1

To be fair to the people saying we should be going for Clarke-Salter over Flint. I wouldn’t put it past the realms of possibility that we could take both. 

Clarke-Salter is a left footed CB. Him coming in would mainly effect Van Aken or Borner.

Flint is someone who would come in and be the middle of the back 3. He’s not got the pace to come in and play RCB or LCB. He is someone to contest Lees, who currently we have no idea how long out injured he has. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2