Official Summer Transfer Rumours Thread 2020-2021

2 hours ago, gurujuan said:

True, but isn’t that the same at all clubs. A manager may not be directly responsible for the transfer dealings, but whether he likes it or not, any dealings, good or bad, done on his watch, will be attributed to him

That’s a separate point. A manager should choose who he wants or at least have a range of preference but it won’t be him taking his time on bringing them in. He will be desperate for the parties involved to conclude matters

1 minute ago, sMacLean said:

Feels a bit like Chansiri is stuck between two stools.

Doesn't want to commit to big contracts incase we get relegated and so probably wants to see if we win our appeal or if we are likely to stay up given our position in the new year.

Of course in order to stay up we maybe need to risk giving out some of those bigger contracts now.

As it stands we'll go down without a whimper but the books in terms of players wouldn't be too bad at all. Chansiri can't afford for us to go down though, I think he is hoping for a miracle from Monk or the appeal which could see Spendageddon 2 in January instead.

We’d be better off spending a bit more now if players will come. If we released a load again next summer we’d be stuck in league one recruiting on a 2.5k week average wage which is causing the likes of Sunderland huge problems. If we came down with players already signed up on a higher wage then we’d be allowed to pay them that for the duration of the contract so we need to find players who will join us for the long haul too, Windass being an example. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, camffiti said:

Realistically, for any new striker to start on Saturday, they will have to be signed by Thursday. Otherwise they'll be on the bench

Todays Reach spin, suggests the club aren't confident of bringing in one this week.

-12 points and an October deadline day this year, means we can't afford to wait for last minute scrapings 

It’s the scrapings that are available now though usually. The better players often go last minute. 

We are under pressure with -12 but I still think I’d rather have a better squad from October sacrificing a month than having a team of misfits all season

• Like 1

I love how Coventry are doing it. They signed O'Harra on free transfer from Villa and loaned Sheaf from Arsenal with option to buy for 750k.

Two players that will improve them right now and that they will hope to develop and build around or sell for profit in the future. 

Why can't we adopt similar phylosophy?! 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, malek said:

I love how Coventry are doing it. They signed O'Harra on free transfer from Villa and loaned Sheaf from Arsenal with option to buy for 750k.

Two players that will improve them right now and that they will hope to develop and build around or sell for profit in the future. 

Like signing a youngster from City and loaning a player from Chelsea? 👀

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Sham67 said:

Did he score his 4 goals in the 5 games he played up front?  Almost Warhurstesque.

All in the right wing did ok for a winger last season goals and assist.

We have no options on the right unless we switch Harris so we do need him, I would love us to bring Maddison in, he would add goals and assist to the team. But after not working out at Hull he is suddenly rubbish in Jamie's eyes.

20 minutes ago, malek said:

I know a few Cov fans who desperately want their owners out. Mark Robins is performing miracles there. I think they could be a surprise package this season as that league one winning side was very athletic and dynamic with a lot of young players. A case study of how Robins seems to do well is Bright Enokobahre who has been bombed out at several clubs for a shocking attitude but he was class at Coventry.

Tyler Walker looks the pick of their signings, one or two look like they haven’t hit puberty yet. 

Over the course of the season I think they will need some experience at this level. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bluesteel said:

It’s the scrapings that are available now though usually. The better players often go last minute. 

We are under pressure with -12 but I still think I’d rather have a better squad from October sacrificing a month than having a team of misfits all season

Absolutely agree.

We're obviously waiting for a deal that's right for the club. No doubt we could sign someone available right now to bulk up the numbers, that could maybe get us 6-7 goals, and may or may not fit the system that well... or we can wait and try and get the right player, potentially a late PL loanee in a month's time who hits 15-16 for us. Everyone is acutely aware of the need to come out of the blocks quickly but if you look at the two above options the latter is the one that gets us the points to stay up, even only starting from October.

Really struggle to fathom posters who think Monk is just sitting there happy-out with his current lot. He knows we don't have enough, and knows he'll lose his job if we don't hit the ground running. Too many people here have played too much football manager...

• Like 8

Bristol City have completed the signing of veteran Chris Brunt after the midfielder's release from West Brom this summer.

The 35-year-old left the Hawthorns after their promotion under Slaven Bilic and he now joins up at Ashton Gate as head coach Dean Holden fine-tunes his squad for the new campaign.

19 minutes ago, LoanRanger said:

Absolutely agree.

We're obviously waiting for a deal that's right for the club. No doubt we could sign someone available right now to bulk up the numbers, that could maybe get us 6-7 goals, and may or may not fit the system that well... or we can wait and try and get the right player, potentially a late PL loanee in a month's time who hits 15-16 for us. Everyone is acutely aware of the need to come out of the blocks quickly but if you look at the two above options the latter is the one that gets us the points to stay up, even only starting from October.

Really struggle to fathom posters who think Monk is just sitting there happy-out with his current lot. He knows we don't have enough, and knows he'll lose his job if we don't hit the ground running. Too many people here have played too much football manager...

I agree. 

that said we can’t afford a bad start. We need to be out of the traps, let’s hope something happens soon. 

1 hour ago, malek said:

Where’s the fun in that. It’s much better hoarding loads of average championship players on massive wages, like some crossover between football and a game of cards.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bloxwich Owl said:

Bristol City have completed the signing of veteran Chris Brunt after the midfielder's release from West Brom this summer.

The 35-year-old left the Hawthorns after their promotion under Slaven Bilic and he now joins up at Ashton Gate as head coach Dean Holden fine-tunes his squad for the new campaign.

They are in danger of falling into the trap we did first Martin , now Brunt. Past their best days, huge wages, injuries etc 

2 hours ago, malek said:

FDB looks to be in that vain. Personally I'm hoping for more signings like Brown and FDB, with an eye on the future, whether that be a permanent signing or even a loan. I think that's the best way to go in our situation, to stay up this season but look to improve in the future by building a younger more dynamic squad. I feel like if we had adopted that approach after Wembley we'd have had a better chance of going up in the long run. 

• Love 1