Official Summer Transfer Rumours Thread 2020-2021

2 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I certainly never envisaged the likes of Dunkley, Kachunga and Windass being to the forefront of the rebuilding job, never mind considering rehiring Nuhiu. They are a far cry from some of the names we were linked with earlier. Once they had been signed though, there was a certain resignation that, this rebuild won’t be what we were lead to believe. Anyway, I started to think, well perhaps there’s a role for them, to play alongside a handful of quality signings we were still to make, then that might be OK. 
If though, this is as good as it gets, then I don’t fancy our chances of avoiding the drop, or even improving on last season’s post Christmas form. We need 3 or 4 quality additions to give us a fighting chance

No good whinging if that's all we have got so be it we give it our best shot and let's see if it's good enough

• Like 3

1 minute ago, bladeshater said:

No good whinging if that's all we have got so be it we give it our best shot and let's see if it's good enough

Well no you’re right, there is no point in bemoaning what might have been, but for me it’s a huge missed opportunity Not just the failure to bring in quality, but I’d have at least liked to have seen some good youngsters brought in, so at least we’d be laying a platform. FDB aside, we haven’t yet brought in any young talent, no real planning for the future.

31 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Yeah but my point was, that something has changed over the last week or so, and it seems more budget related, rather than players not wanting to join due to a points deduction. 
The about turn on Van Aken for a start, a couple of weeks ago he was transfer listed, with us immediately credited with an interest in Chelsea’s left sided centre back, Clarke-Salter. Then, on the strength of one, somewhat iffy performance against Leicester, Van Aken was said to be very much part of Monk’s plans. Other players who we were strongly linked with, and who would not have been cheap, have seemingly now gone off the radar, and we’re down to just being “hopeful that we can get another couple in”

I thought van aken did fairly well against Leicester. That, and the fact borner doesn't look so good of late may have changed their minds rather than any embargo or financial concerns?

Also, if we win our appeal that holds us to a much tighter financial control as the books won't get reset to spark spendageddon 2.

2 minutes ago, GLOwl said:

I thought van aken did fairly well against Leicester. That, and the fact borner doesn't look so good of late may have changed their minds rather than any embargo or financial concerns?

Also, if we win our appeal that holds us to a much tighter financial control as the books won't get reset to spark spendageddon 2.

They won't get 'reset' either way.

Edited by royalowlisback
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, GLOwl said:

I don’t think we are under an embargo, and the Windass deal seems a strange one When every penny counts, why on earth would we shell out nearly half a million on him? On a free, or a token fee, he’d have been a useful addition I suppose, but if money’s tight it’s a strange one Prior to that, we’d also bid £1m for Leko, but since then, it’s been all about budget constraints

2 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I don’t think we are under an embargo, and the Windass deal seems a strange one When every penny counts, why on earth would we shell out nearly half a million on him? On a free, or a token fee, he’d have been a useful addition I suppose, but if money’s tight it’s a strange one Prior to that, we’d also bid £1m for Leko, but since then, it’s been all about budget constraints

Saving the money for Dave. 😪

23 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Well no you’re right, there is no point in bemoaning what might have been, but for me it’s a huge missed opportunity Not just the failure to bring in quality, but I’d have at least liked to have seen some good youngsters brought in, so at least we’d be laying a platform. FDB aside, we haven’t yet brought in any young talent, no real planning for the future.

If we filled the squad with youngsters it would be like accepting relegation that wouldn't be right monk is trying to assemble a squad to have a really good crack at it this season I personally believe we will escape relegation how much higher up the league we finish I don't know

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, bladeshater said:

If we filled the squad with youngsters it would be like accepting relegation that wouldn't be right monk is trying to assemble a squad to have a really good crack at it this season I personally believe we will escape relegation how much higher up the league we finish I don't know

As things stand, I’m not so sure. I was optimistic, when we were linked with the likes of Garner, Hickey, Murphy, Sanderson, Leko etc, but to go from those to Kachunga and Windass, it’s pretty deflating. Some of those we’d struggle to get, I know, but surely there’s something in the middle?

• Like 3

Realistically, for any new striker to start on Saturday, they will have to be signed by Thursday. Otherwise they'll be on the bench

Todays Reach spin, suggests the club aren't confident of bringing in one this week.

-12 points and an October deadline day this year, means we can't afford to wait for last minute scrapings 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, camffiti said:

Realistically, for any new striker to start on Saturday, they will have to be signed by Thursday. Otherwise they'll be on the bench

Todays Reach spin, suggests the club aren't confident of bringing in one this week.

-12 points and an October deadline day this year, means we can't afford to wait for last minute scrapings 

Monk’s interview this morning when he suggested that he remained hopeful of adding a couple of players before the window closes, didn’t suggest that anything was imminent 

• Like 1

There’s still  a month to go in the window and whilst is frustrating we ain’t signing world beaters every other day we still have time to add quality to the team. We are not in any position to dictate the market and are probably waiting for a few higher end deals to go through before our targets become available. Again, frustrating I know but that’s what 2 decades of failure does for you. Players like Kachunga could just be the easiest deals to complete and therefore get done earlier. The club seem to be keeping their cards close to their chest, probably so we don’t get gazumped on our targets and we aren’t paying over the odds in negotiations. 

And yes, I know - minus 12 blah, blah

Seasons starting blah, blah.

My kids are more patient on Christmas Day than some of you lot

Feels a bit like Chansiri is stuck between two stools.

Doesn't want to commit to big contracts incase we get relegated and so probably wants to see if we win our appeal or if we are likely to stay up given our position in the new year.

Of course in order to stay up we maybe need to risk giving out some of those bigger contracts now.

As it stands we'll go down without a whimper but the books in terms of players wouldn't be too bad at all. Chansiri can't afford for us to go down though, I think he is hoping for a miracle from Monk or the appeal which could see Spendageddon 2 in January instead.