Official Summer Transfer Rumours Thread 2020-2021

1 hour ago, Bluesteel said:

Isn’t the point more that when Kachunga was played as a striker he was more productive than he was on the wing?

Nope he isn't a striker he is a winger -

Why do you think the good striker cost money if you can just put a player in a position and call him that we may as well put Rhodes up front and call him a striker. lol

7 minutes ago, room0035 said:

Why do you think the good striker cost money if you can just put a player in a position and call him that we may as well put Rhodes up front and call him a striker. lol

If him and Windass are strikers, they’re pretty poor strikers

edit... though better than Reach

Edited by gurujuan

8 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

If him and Windass are strikers, they’re pretty poor strikers

edit... though better than Reach

It seems to be that mentality that some of here believe everything that comes from Monk as gospel - If a player spends most of his career playing in midfield and every so often plays up front, does that make him a midfielder or a striker.

Kachunga in the last 3 seasons has scored 4 goals in 75 appearance, or 1 in every 18 to 19 games, he has played 81% of those games on the right wing, 12% on the left wing and 7% up front (5 of 75) games for me this makes him a winger but it would appear because Monk says he is a forward then he's a striker.

Over the last few years when we have needed a goal present up front Tom Lees. Hector or Loovens have gone up front for the last 10 minutes does that make them strikers too or have they just played out of position when needs must.

I am really passed caring, if we start the season with only Rhodes as recognised striker and who is barely played, we will lose a lot more game than we win, because against better attacks the 3-5-2 formation does not work for us, when Harris and Odabajo do little or no defensive work. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, room0035 said:

He played centrally at Huddersfield before they switched him wide. That was his first season when he scored goals on loan. Then they signed a raft of players after going up and he struggled afterwards. 

He doesn’t provide enough of a physical presence though when he does play up front.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/elias-kachunga/profil/spieler/49501

Edited by Bluesteel

Apparently Monk is still hopeful of bringing in a couple of players before the window closes in October? 
in your own time Garry, in your own time. Guess then, as we need at least two strikers, that rules out the likes of Garner, Sanderson and Clarke-Salter

Edited by gurujuan

1 minute ago, gurujuan said:

Apparently Monk is still hopeful of bringing in a couple of players before the window closes in October? 
in your own time Garry, in your own time. Guess then, as we need at least two strikers, that rules out the likes of Garner, Sanderson and Clarke-Salter

Do you think Monk is the one in control of that? 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, gurujuan said:

We need to be proactive and try something different. Offer our players in a swap deal, swap bad contracts who are in the last year of their deals and not likely to play.

i always feel that we wait for something to happen 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Does that couple include loanees? I think we can still make upto 3 loan signings, perhaps he meant a couple of permanent signings plus loanees? Depends what we can do within P&S but we still need between 3-5 signings, I would think. We haven't brought back or replaced Murphy yet, we still need a couple of strikers, that's at least three signings we need to make, plus perhaps another centre back and another midfielder, considering those linked players you mentioned. I'd say we're upto 5 players short of having a decent squad for this level capable of improving in the future too. 

Edited by The Night-Owl

1 minute ago, Bluesteel said:

Some posters on here are like junkies when it comes to the compulsion to have a go at the manager. No one really believes he's in charge of recruitment or that he's suggesting the club should wait as long as possible before bringing in the new players everyone knows we need, but it's the forum equivalent of searching the pavements trying to find the last half inch of someone's discarded tab ends. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

This is the problem with not having a proper Director of Football to be held accountable.

It’s obviously not Monk who is responsible for doing the deals but he gets the flak because we don’t know who is.

12 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

No I don’t, I think there has been a certain amount of backpedaling but I’m not sure what has caused that. Certainly not the 12 point penalty, it might have put some players off, but it would surely be more likely to focus our minds when it came to strengthening. Anyway, were it that, then there would be no need for the manager to put a number on it. 

18 minutes ago, Themagiccap said:

We need to be proactive and try something different. Offer our players in a swap deal, swap bad contracts who are in the last year of their deals and not likely to play.

i always feel that we wait for something to happen 

Pretty sure we will have tried. Problem is a bad contract for us (high wages) is a good contract for a player so they are not going to give it up and other clubs aren’t going to match what we’ve paid in the past, certainly not pre covid.