Official Summer Transfer Rumours Thread 2020-2021

15 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

Some posters on here are like junkies when it comes to the compulsion to have a go at the manager. No one really believes he's in charge of recruitment or that he's suggesting the club should wait as long as possible before bringing in the new players everyone knows we need, but it's the forum equivalent of searching the pavements trying to find the last half inch of someone's discarded tab ends. 

True, but isn’t that the same at all clubs. A manager may not be directly responsible for the transfer dealings, but whether he likes it or not, any dealings, good or bad, done on his watch, will be attributed to him

Edited by gurujuan

1 minute ago, gurujuan said:

True, but isn’t that the same at all clubs. A manager may not be directly responsible for the transfer dealings, but whether he likes it or not, any dealings, good or bad, done on his watch, will be attributed to him

Only by people desperate to scrabble around for absolutely anything to blame him for in a continuation of their tantrum about wanting him out of the club. There may be a number of reasons why we haven't made any signing(s) of a real focal point for the attack, but it's unlikely Monk is the cause of any of them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, WalthamOwl said:

Pigs looking like signing Ampadu from Chelsea. Did someone suggest him for us in the last few days? 

Yes I did. I wondered where Wildergets his good ideas from obviously follows Owlstalk and me.

Seriously that and signings from Derby are really good business for them.

2 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

Only by people desperate to scrabble around for absolutely anything to blame him for in a continuation of their tantrum about wanting him out of the club. There may be a number of reasons why we haven't made any signing(s) of a real focal point for the attack, but it's unlikely Monk is the cause of any of them.

We might reasonably surmise that, but if we are successful in building a good side, it will always be referred to as, the side Monk built That’s the way of things, we always refer to Iorfa as a shrewd signing by Bruce, even though he may have had very little to do with identifying, or recruiting the player

2 hours ago, room0035 said:

It seems to be that mentality that some of here believe everything that comes from Monk as gospel - If a player spends most of his career playing in midfield and every so often plays up front, does that make him a midfielder or a striker.

Kachunga in the last 3 seasons has scored 4 goals in 75 appearance, or 1 in every 18 to 19 games, he has played 81% of those games on the right wing, 12% on the left wing and 7% up front (5 of 75) games for me this makes him a winger but it would appear because Monk says he is a forward then he's a striker.

Over the last few years when we have needed a goal present up front Tom Lees. Hector or Loovens have gone up front for the last 10 minutes does that make them strikers too or have they just played out of position when needs must.

I am really passed caring, if we start the season with only Rhodes as recognised striker and who is barely played, we will lose a lot more game than we win, because against better attacks the 3-5-2 formation does not work for us, when Harris and Odabajo do little or no defensive work. 

Did he score his 4 goals in the 5 games he played up front?  Almost Warhurstesque.

We might reasonably surmise that, but if we are successful in building a good side, it will always be referred to as, the side Monk built That’s the way of things, we always refer to Iorfa as a shrewd signing by Bruce, even though he may have had very little to do with identifying, or recruiting the player

The focus seems to have shifted from when any new signings are made to who they are. I'm sure Monk will have had some input on the players targetted and will be judged accordingly (even if the budget has tied his hands somewhat). But starting the season without any recognised, full-time centre forwards apart from the hopelessly ineffective Rhodes (who Monk understandably considers something of a last resort) cannot be laid at the manager's door. I'm sure no one recognises how vital this is more than the bloke who will ultimately be held accountable if we struggle for goals.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, swfcGibbo said:

The negativity is absolutely ridiculous around here. 

With the formation we are planning to play, a minus 12 starting position and long term financial restrictions we should have never released Nuhiu in the first place.

He shouldn't be our main striker but you've got to appreciate the Number 9 may take a little more time to find. For now Nuhiu should absolutely be an option. Experienced, knows the club, great with the younger players. He'd have been one of those out of contract I kept; especially given the verdict and points deduction.

Every club seems to be cutting their cloth accordingly. Derby are selling two of their best players and have thus far signed a 35 year old goalie and a couple of relative unknowns. A number of clubs limped to a defeat against lower league teams in the cup (lets be real it was a glorified friendly).

We need to scratch and battle for every single point this season. It'll be disgusting to watch but having a player like Nuhiu is not a bad thing.

We offered Nuhiu a new contract he did not want it samme with several others.

Reason we are in mire is because we paid tohigh a wages toordinary players. We were one of top payers in division. This means you cannot offload players and we also had no regard for age or previous injury record. When we offered correct money they left. Fletcher was reportedly on between £25,000 and £30,000 per year. He is now on £18,000 a year at Stoke according to press. 

Think the reality of paying sensible wages was overdue. As you indicate lots of clubs are cutting their cloth to adjust to much lower income levels. Players who are now faced with much lower packets than they had last year will be reluctant to commit to a deal they will hang one and hopefully get a better deal. I am surprised we have signed as many as we have at this point of season.

Think our signings depends on wot happens in the league above? If we are after jukewitz for example, brum can’t sign hogan till villa get Watkins or whoever so its a knock on affect down the gravy train? Cus of our money problems we now rely on other deals taking place is my guess? Whether or not you a monk fan he will desperately want players in as quick as possible? We did seem to take a while to get deals over the line when we had money? Remember Nixon saying as much 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DJMortimer said:

The focus seems to have shifted from when any new signings are made to who they are. I'm sure Monk will have had some input on the players targetted and will be judged accordingly (even if the budget has tied his hands somewhat). But starting the season without any recognised, full-time centre forwards apart from the hopelessly ineffective Rhodes (who Monk understandably considers something of a last resort) cannot be laid at the manager's door. I'm sure no one recognises how vital this is more than the bloke who will ultimately be held accountable if we struggle for goals.

Yeah but my point was, that something has changed over the last week or so, and it seems more budget related, rather than players not wanting to join due to a points deduction. 
The about turn on Van Aken for a start, a couple of weeks ago he was transfer listed, with us immediately credited with an interest in Chelsea’s left sided centre back, Clarke-Salter. Then, on the strength of one, somewhat iffy performance against Leicester, Van Aken was said to be very much part of Monk’s plans. Other players who we were strongly linked with, and who would not have been cheap, have seemingly now gone off the radar, and we’re down to just being “hopeful that we can get another couple in”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Mick70 said:

Think our signings depends on wot happens in the league above? If we are after jukewitz for example, brum can’t sign hogan till villa get Watkins or whoever so its a knock on affect down the gravy train? Cus of our money problems we now rely on other deals taking place is my guess? Whether or not you a monk fan he will desperately want players in as quick as possible? We did seem to take a while to get deals over the line when we had money? Remember Nixon saying as much 

This is spot on. Unlike some I do thin Monk has say in transfers. However Dc likes to have final say so he used to interviewthem all before he signed them. This just delyed process and added nothing. At the moment majority of clubs are being cautious and this is slowing down transfer system. This week has seen increased movement and momentum willincrease over next few weeks.

Yeah but my point was, that something has changed over the last week or so, and it seems more budget related, rather than players not wanting to join due to a points deduction. 
The about turn on Van Aken for a start, a couple of weeks ago he was transfer listed, with us immediately credited with an interest in Chelsea’s left sided centre back, Clarke-Salter. Then, on the strength of one, somewhat iffy performance against Leicester, Van Aken was said to be very much part of Monk’s plans. Other players who we were strongly linked with, and who would not have been cheap, have seemingly now gone off the radar, and we’re down to just being “hopeful that we can get another couple in”

Is it possible we are under some kind of soft embargo or monitoring? 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, sMacLean said:

Is it possible we are under some kind of soft embargo or monitoring? 

Jesus Christ don’t start them off on that one , it’s already borderline suicidal on here 

Since the last season ended I was waiting for some indication that we might have some reasonable funding to work with in this huge rebuilding period. I've yet to see much evidence that it is there. So as far as I'm concerned, there hasn't been much of a change. We could be saving for the important striker position(s), but I'm not convinced. 

6 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

Since the last season ended I was waiting for some indication that we might have some reasonable funding to work with in this huge rebuilding period. I've yet to see much evidence that it is there. So as far as I'm concerned, there hasn't been much of a change. We could be saving for the important striker position(s), but I'm not convinced. 

I certainly never envisaged the likes of Dunkley, Kachunga and Windass being to the forefront of the rebuilding job, never mind considering rehiring Nuhiu. They are a far cry from some of the names we were linked with earlier. Once they had been signed though, there was a certain resignation that, this rebuild won’t be what we were lead to believe. Anyway, I started to think, well perhaps there’s a role for them, to play alongside a handful of quality signings we were still to make, then that might be OK. 
If though, this is as good as it gets, then I don’t fancy our chances of avoiding the drop, or even improving on last season’s post Christmas form. We need 3 or 4 quality additions to give us a fighting chance

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1