Post Transfer Deadline Comments

3 minutes ago, theowlsman said:

Just to say the bottlers could become worldies if the new strikers do their jobs properly, releasing the pressure.

The bottlers have plenty of talent, just no leadership skills when the pressure is on. Release that pressure through strikers putting the ball into the net more regularly, and it could be a different team we see. 

I wouldn't have the bottlers in the team given the choice. We might have to until the end of the season, it depends who Monk has decided are 'bottlers',

My concern is are there disruptive influences in the dressing room, senior players who carry more sway with the other players and aren't buying in to Monks plans. Maybe the same ones Jos tried to isolate. If there are, Monk may need to make them train on their own to stop them causing further problems.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

How am I getting flack for this? lol it’s absolute facts. A career crock who could break down in his first game, a lad who can’t get in a shocking Wigan side and a youngster plucked from the middle of nowhere with barely any experience and an awful disciplinary record

. If it was the pigs we’d be ripping the absolute piiis

but people don’t want the obvious because it’s negative 

Agree with Freshowl = just have a look at the stats for both players. Whickham was out for 2 years with a knee injury, just signed a one year extension with Palace so they can't lose sending him North, he either shows he is back to somewhere near his best or that's its at Palace and finally its a tragedy that Westwood has been frozen out again. Dawson is nowhere near good enough.    

• Like 1

The wind does blow in a given direction on OT regarding a particular topic / player.

The difficulty is that it can suddenly, and sometimes inexplicably, change direction very quickly.

Also there's the mood, rampant optimism or flat lining pessimism. Difficult to go against.

When you can read the signs my child then you will have reached enlightenment.

Or at least won't get negged as much.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, 2roland2 said:

Will reserve judgement as I honestly haven’t seen anything of either Wickham or windlass for a long time, I know they used to be both very good players so hopefully they still are, not looked at recent injury records or form so again I can’t guess. 
Did we get a third player in too??

on paper, both Wickham and windlass sound good, let’s hope they are the players i remember.

Alessio Da Cruz from Serie A side Parma where the ham comes from, and the new version of Fessi, a 20 year old Argentinian called Manuel Hidalgo who looks very, very, very good and will be a massive pleasant surprise to Wednesday fans.

Mind you, I had high hopes for Van Aken

Edited by theowlsman

4 minutes ago, Wiggo said:

Agree with Freshowl = just have a look at the stats for both players. Whickham was out for 2 years with a knee injury, just signed a one year extension with Palace so they can't lose sending him North, he either shows he is back to somewhere near his best or that's its at Palace and finally its a tragedy that Westwood has been frozen out again. Dawson is nowhere near good enough.    

What Palace gain by sending Wickham out on loan is irrelevant, it's what we gain that matters. He is a replacement for Fletcher, a bit of a gamble, I agree, but that is where we are. We can't afford a top player in prime fitness so we get a very good player coming back to fitness after a bad couple of years. It's worked before with Wickham.

Westwood is our best keeper when he is in form, he wasn't though, he was making mistakes and costing us points so the manager brought in Dawson. Dawson has done ok, not fantastic but decent overall. It's his shirt to lose, if he hits a bad patch Westwood comes back in. I've no idea if the rumour that Westwood refuses to sit on the bench is true or not.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, 2roland2 said:

Will reserve judgement as I honestly haven’t seen anything of either Wickham or windlass for a long time, I know they used to be both very good players so hopefully they still are, not looked at recent injury records or form so again I can’t guess. 
Did we get a third player in too??

on paper, both Wickham and windlass sound good, let’s hope they are the players i remember.

Reminds me of Mrs Bonvin after a curry and a bucketful of chocolate.

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, dorian gray said:

I think the initial idea was to have a coach, with a manager supervising, we didn't land the manager we wanted (was it cooper?) so gave over with the idea.

this then leaves a bloke whose had the sack more than santa in charge, with a chairman who knew less about football than most o...….than some on here.

the two play off places are just beach holiday delays IF you're not going to be effective in them, and we weren't.

I don't for one minute think that carlos was stood outside the managers office whilst waiting to see what transfer target selections were made, he was involved.

I see from your posts that you are a staunch supporter of his, and of course you are free to do so, but he's gone, he ain't coming back, and he not only failed in his test, but he left us in a far worse condition and position than the one he inherited from gray, AND the bank balance is empty.

I don't know where he is now, backwood wanderers or somewhere? anywhere but here is ok by me. 

I wouldn’t say a staunch supporter, I enjoyed his first season, but not so much the next. I’m not sure he had much to do with transfers, and probably preferred it that way He just got on with the job, and tried to devise a way of playing that would bring success In that respect, he was quite successful in his two full seasons. I didn’t agree with our policy of overloading the squad with experience, and I still don’t to this day. I really have little time for managers who blame others, and don’t admit their own shortcomings. Anyway, it’s not about what happened in the past, it’s about what we do now. 
We have a large experienced squad, with most bases covered, and we should be able to mount a play off push. We have slipped a bit in recent weeks, and had we been able to do our business at the beginning of the window, we may not have lost so much ground. I’m optimistic, if Monk gets back to doing what he was doing previously, with the new signings, we should start to climb the table Just no more divisive outbursts please

1 hour ago, gurujuan said:

Yeah but you can’t have it both ways, either Carlos brought in a load of rubbish, which actually makes his achievements of two play offs, in his only two full seasons, quite impressive, or he’s laid the foundations for others to follow 

he certainly left foundations broken ones . 

1 hour ago, theowlsman said:

Just to say the bottlers could become worldies if the new strikers do their jobs properly, releasing the pressure.

The bottlers have plenty of talent, just no leadership skills when the pressure is on. Release that pressure through strikers putting the ball into the net more regularly, and it could be a different team we see. 

Blimey, I can hear the backtracking from here.

If someone is a 'bottlejob',  then no matter the motivation, they will fold when it comes to important moments or fail to perform when pressure is applied.

What you're suggesting now is that the team has been underperforming due to a lack of confidence and leadership. Totally different to the mass hysteria, bottlejob to a man, flounce-tastic posts that have plagued OT over the last 2 weeks.

31 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I wouldn’t say a staunch supporter, I enjoyed his first season, but not so much the next. I’m not sure he had much to do with transfers, and probably preferred it that way He just got on with the job, and tried to devise a way of playing that would bring success In that respect, he was quite successful in his two full seasons. I didn’t agree with our policy of overloading the squad with experience, and I still don’t to this day. I really have little time for managers who blame others, and don’t admit their own shortcomings. Anyway, it’s not about what happened in the past, it’s about what we do now. 
We have a large experienced squad, with most bases covered, and we should be able to mount a play off push. We have slipped a bit in recent weeks, and had we been able to do our business at the beginning of the window, we may not have lost so much ground. I’m optimistic, if Monk gets back to doing what he was doing previously, with the new signings, we should start to climb the table Just no more divisive outbursts please

don't pull yourself down, you are a staunch supporter.

transfers, he did, I've seen posts on here stating that.

him devising a way of playing, he wasn't devising, he only knew the one tactic, that's why he'd had the peddler so much, so soon.

little time for managers who blame others; now you're saying you don't like carlos, as it wasn't him it seems IF you could understand the tripe he talked, did carlos ever say 'I have only one idea in my head, and I flog it like a dead horse'?

our forward line is bare arsed, hopefully fletch will be back and firing soon, and the two new lads hit their straps.

it's monks job to manage the outfit, it may have been carlos' way to muddle though mumbling about this, and that hoping no one could understand and realise he was talking cobblers, and waving £20 about. 

trust me, I know you don't want to hear this, but IF carlos was any good would he have been peddled so many times?, and monks a much better manager, even without carlos' spending power.

The window in general hasn't been a massive surprise. I'm not convinced we're in a stable state at the moment to make the necessary changes as I do think Monk could literally walk in the summer if not before? Given a fair wind, the summer is when the necessary rebuild begins.

1 hour ago, FreshOwl said:

How am I getting flack for this? lol it’s absolute facts. A career crock who could break down in his first game, a lad who can’t get in a shocking Wigan side and a youngster plucked from the middle of nowhere with barely any experience and an awful disciplinary record

. If it was the pigs we’d be ripping the absolute piiis

but people don’t want the obvious because it’s negative 

I think you’ve answered the question in your point about the pigs, as for the last few seasons under Wilder they’ve been signing players we’ve laughed at who have given them energy, bite and workrate to get them to the PL.  David McGoldrick being one we laughed at that is now a PL player. 

Windass is a young player with some ability who’s career has stalled, it seems rightly or wrongly that he feels he’s made a bad career move going to Wigan and his dad says he’s been desperate to leave.  

Sure it’s a punt signing by Monk, but it’s only for 3 months and I’d rather we start signing players like this than the likes of Adomah who went on loan to Cardiff. 

This window we’ve signed 4 players aged 26 or younger which is the right thing to do.  And given our situation with the EFL we were never going to spend money on permanent transfers in this window.  

Personally I think we’ve done okay and am looking forward to what Monk can get out of the signings 

Edited by Owls-Fan

3 hours ago, wilyfox said:

Not such a big issue with Winnall as he'll be released in the summer, but how are we gonna generate interest in Rhodes with another season on contract if he's sat in the stands? We needed him out somewhere on loan trying to find form even if we only recouped half his wages. 

Don't worry.  It looks like Norwich will be relegated.

14 hours ago, TheEnchanter said:

I'm just interested to see how many red cards Alessio can get. 

same, actually been looking forward to signing someone like this for a while. Hutch has turned into a right bottle job since. Hopefully will see a few tackles and a bit of intensity now to win the ball back for a counter attack.

14 hours ago, fpowl said:

I like them all three seem to have directness and a ruthless attitude 

these are the kind of people we wanted winners 

monk wanted to change this to our mentality of the team and add quality up top 

like another poster said in another thread of our forward play doesn’t improve monk as nowhere to hide 

Forward play is only one part of the equation. Shipping 5 goals at home to a side like Blackburn hints at bigger problems.

14 hours ago, mcmigo said:

Have said it before, our problems are in defence more than up front . We are on a bad run due to some absolutely awful defending. There is no doubt at all that Wickham is an upgrade on all the current fit forwards, and the other two will hopefully do a job as well, but until we start defending properly again we have no chance. 
key to our season now is borner, iorfa, lees, Palmer , Fox  finding form and fitness again. We will achieve zip defending like we have for the last 6 weeks. 

Iorfa and Borneo are always superb 90% of the time and were 2 excellent signing in my opinion. Fox has has performed extremely well in the last few months. So I’m not sure why the defence may be a problem?

9 hours ago, Owls-Fan said:

I think you’ve answered the question in your point about the pigs, as for the last few seasons under Wilder they’ve been signing players we’ve laughed at who have given them energy, bite and workrate to get them to the PL.  David McGoldrick being one we laughed at that is now a PL player. 

Windass is a young player with some ability who’s career has stalled, it seems rightly or wrongly that he feels he’s made a bad career move going to Wigan and his dad says he’s been desperate to leave.  

Sure it’s a punt signing by Monk, but it’s only for 3 months and I’d rather we start signing players like this than the likes of Adomah who went on loan to Cardiff. 

This window we’ve signed 4 players aged 26 or younger which is the right thing to do.  And given our situation with the EFL we were never going to spend money on permanent transfers in this window.  

Personally I think we’ve done okay and am looking forward to what Monk can get out of the signings 

Good points - we do have fans who think before they post. lol