Post Transfer Deadline Comments

20 minutes ago, dorian gray said:

do you not think we're looking at wickham as a possible replacement for fletcher next season?

when does fletcher's contract expire?

how much is fletcher on?

I expect so - Fletcher's contract finishes in June. 

However, I wonder whether we could use Fletch in a Nuihu role next season; essentially coming off the bench. 

As much as Nuihu has been a good servant, we really need to replace him and move on.

18 minutes ago, RichieB said:

This bit is laughable and just you trying to set Monk up for a fall. 

No chance is the squad better than what Carlos had in 15-17, Carlos had a fully fit and prime K Lee, Westwood, Bannan, FF, a reasonably fit Hopper, a CB pairing of Lees and Loovens playing their best football etc etc

All those players above are either gone or nowhere near the same players they were, so yes on paper we have some of the same names, but absolutely they aren't as good as they once were, hence why people want to move on the old guard. 

This is going to take sometime to sort out and Monk deserves the chance to do it. 

I'd add that Pudil and Hunt were better than Fox and Palmer. 

2 minutes ago, Animis said:

I expect so - Fletcher's contract finishes in June. 

However, I wonder whether we could use Fletch in a Nuihu role next season; essentially coming off the bench. 

As much as Nuihu has been a good servant, we really need to replace him and move on.

fletcher on this years form will be moving out for his last 'lucrative' contract, it maybe big money-short term, or less money-longer term depending what is offered, and (perhaps) by whom?

as for nuhiu, he must be the best 'last 15 minute' weapon in english football, i'll leave that to monk (anyway he might still be under contract).

Guest wilyfox

Not such a big issue with Winnall as he'll be released in the summer, but how are we gonna generate interest in Rhodes with another season on contract if he's sat in the stands? We needed him out somewhere on loan trying to find form even if we only recouped half his wages. 

18 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Well I don’t know what went on behind the scenes, but Carlos probably sees himself as a coach, and will be used to having to work with whatever the recruitment team brought in That was also what Chansiri wanted. Let’s not forget, he managed two play off positions with all those misfit players

anyone can eat a load of chocolate and get very fat , or take out massive loans with no way of paying them back that's effectively what carlos did , any manager could get a side into top 6 tripling there wage bill and bringing in huge amounts of players , what carlos did was irresponsible with no care of the consequences , an owner with no knowledge of football needs the right manager and advisers to spend his money wisely and correctly. you can go through a league 1-24 and the best manager aint always in 1st place neither is the worst manager 24th its what they have to work with and the tools they are given. 

3 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

Not such a big issue with Winnall as he'll be released in the summer, but how are we gonna generate interest in Rhodes with another season on contract if he's sat in the stands? We needed him out somewhere on loan trying to find form even if we only recouped half his wages. 

it might have to be less than 50%.

7 minutes ago, handworth52 said:

anyone can eat a load of chocolate and get very fat , or take out massive loans with no way of paying them back that's effectively what carlos did , any manager could get a side into top 6 tripling there wage bill and bringing in huge amounts of players , what carlos did was irresponsible with no care of the consequences , an owner with no knowledge of football needs the right manager and advisers to spend his money wisely and correctly. you can go through a league 1-24 and the best manager aint always in 1st place neither is the worst manager 24th its what they have to work with and the tools they are given. 

Yeah but you can’t have it both ways, either Carlos brought in a load of rubbish, which actually makes his achievements of two play offs, in his only two full seasons, quite impressive, or he’s laid the foundations for others to follow 

• Haha 1

If we could get Ki on an 18 month deal that would help out in the midfield. Would have the potential to have Bannan, Ki and Luongo in the centre with Da Cruz, Wickham and Windass in advanced roles.

But if we don’t get Ki there’s still options to make a decent side. Hopefully Monk can get it working 

1 hour ago, gurujuan said:

Well I don’t know what went on behind the scenes, but Carlos probably sees himself as a coach, and will be used to having to work with whatever the recruitment team brought in That was also what Chansiri wanted. Let’s not forget, he managed two play off positions with all those misfit players

I think the initial idea was to have a coach, with a manager supervising, we didn't land the manager we wanted (was it cooper?) so gave over with the idea.

this then leaves a bloke whose had the sack more than santa in charge, with a chairman who knew less about football than most o...….than some on here.

the two play off places are just beach holiday delays IF you're not going to be effective in them, and we weren't.

I don't for one minute think that carlos was stood outside the managers office whilst waiting to see what transfer target selections were made, he was involved.

I see from your posts that you are a staunch supporter of his, and of course you are free to do so, but he's gone, he ain't coming back, and he not only failed in his test, but he left us in a far worse condition and position than the one he inherited from gray, AND the bank balance is empty.

I don't know where he is now, backwood wanderers or somewhere? anywhere but here is ok by me. 

Guest wilyfox
13 minutes ago, dorian gray said:

it might have to be less than 50%.

So be it. Important thing is to get him gone in the summer. Haven't helped ourselves there. After today, doubt he'll get a sniff. Might not be involved today either. 

12 hours ago, FreshOwl said:

A loanee who can’t get in Wigan’s side and a notorious crock...can’t say I’m overwhelmed, but I suppose we were desperate for new blood 

How am I getting flack for this? lol it’s absolute facts. A career crock who could break down in his first game, a lad who can’t get in a shocking Wigan side and a youngster plucked from the middle of nowhere with barely any experience and an awful disciplinary record

. If it was the pigs we’d be ripping the absolute piiis

but people don’t want the obvious because it’s negative 

Edited by FreshOwl
  • Haha 1

Just to say the bottlers could become worldies if the new strikers do their jobs properly, releasing the pressure.

The bottlers have plenty of talent, just no leadership skills when the pressure is on. Release that pressure through strikers putting the ball into the net more regularly, and it could be a different team we see. 

Just now, FreshOwl said:

How am I getting flack for this? lol it’s absolute facts. A career crock who could break down in his first game, a lad who can’t get in a shocking Wigan side and a youngster plucked from the middle of nowhere with barely any experience and an awful disciplinary record

. If it was the pigs we’d be ripping the absolute piiis

What you should’ve learned after all these years is to log on early, and see which way the popular opinion is going, then join the sheep.

Posting opposite opinions like Westwood is our best keeper, when clearly he is, doesn’t get you anywhere in Owls Talk land.

Learn not to give a feck as usually those berating you are clueless.

Simples.

• Haha 4