Post Transfer Deadline Comments

21 hours ago, Owls-Fan said:

I think you’ve answered the question in your point about the pigs, as for the last few seasons under Wilder they’ve been signing players we’ve laughed at who have given them energy, bite and workrate to get them to the PL.  David McGoldrick being one we laughed at that is now a PL player. 

Windass is a young player with some ability who’s career has stalled, it seems rightly or wrongly that he feels he’s made a bad career move going to Wigan and his dad says he’s been desperate to leave.  

Sure it’s a punt signing by Monk, but it’s only for 3 months and I’d rather we start signing players like this than the likes of Adomah who went on loan to Cardiff. 

This window we’ve signed 4 players aged 26 or younger which is the right thing to do.  And given our situation with the EFL we were never going to spend money on permanent transfers in this window.  

Personally I think we’ve done okay and am looking forward to what Monk can get out of the signings 

Top post fella 

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Owls-Fan said:

I think you’ve answered the question in your point about the pigs, as for the last few seasons under Wilder they’ve been signing players we’ve laughed at who have given them energy, bite and workrate to get them to the PL.  David McGoldrick being one we laughed at that is now a PL player. 

Windass is a young player with some ability who’s career has stalled, it seems rightly or wrongly that he feels he’s made a bad career move going to Wigan and his dad says he’s been desperate to leave.  

Sure it’s a punt signing by Monk, but it’s only for 3 months and I’d rather we start signing players like this than the likes of Adomah who went on loan to Cardiff. 

This window we’ve signed 4 players aged 26 or younger which is the right thing to do.  And given our situation with the EFL we were never going to spend money on permanent transfers in this window.  

Personally I think we’ve done okay and am looking forward to what Monk can get out of the signings 

100% accurate , let’s not forget we’ve signed Abdi, Winnall , Rhodes to name a few who came with great reputation yet failed to deliver , then you have likes of Tom lees who leeds fans didn’t like but has generally been Rock solid for us over the 5 years or whatever he’s been here .

moral of the story wait to see them play and then make a decision/ opinion 

10 minutes ago, modboy said:

Linked via twitter with Tom Carroll who's played before for monk. Free agent 

Had a feeling we’d be linked with him or Ki to help with our midfield options. Or to increase numbers for the treatment table pub quiz team, but both good players 

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Owls-Fan said:

Had a feeling we’d be linked with him or Ki to help with our midfield options. Or to increase numbers for the treatment table pub quiz team, but both good players 

Ki would be great as a new DM, with Bannan and Luongo alongside him.
 Da Cruz, Wickham and FF upfront.  

Make it happen DC

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Southie_Owl said:

Ki would be great as a new DM, with Bannan and Luongo alongside him.
 Da Cruz, Wickham and FF upfront.  

Make it happen DC

sounds good, as for Carroll he’s not so much a defensive midfielder but think he could still make an effective 3 with Bannan and Luongo. Passing the ball shouldn’t be a problem with that lot. 

Edited by Owls-Fan

On 01/02/2020 at 11:54, gurujuan said:

I wouldn’t say a staunch supporter, I enjoyed his first season, but not so much the next. I’m not sure he had much to do with transfers, and probably preferred it that way He just got on with the job, and tried to devise a way of playing that would bring success In that respect, he was quite successful in his two full seasons. I didn’t agree with our policy of overloading the squad with experience, and I still don’t to this day. I really have little time for managers who blame others, and don’t admit their own shortcomings. Anyway, it’s not about what happened in the past, it’s about what we do now. 
We have a large experienced squad, with most bases covered, and we should be able to mount a play off push. We have slipped a bit in recent weeks, and had we been able to do our business at the beginning of the window, we may not have lost so much ground. I’m optimistic, if Monk gets back to doing what he was doing previously, with the new signings, we should start to climb the table Just no more divisive outbursts please

he did have to do with transfers, and he wasn't successful.

1 hour ago, dorian gray said:

he did have to do with transfers, and he wasn't successful.

Depends how you define success, statistically he has been the most successful manager in Wednesday’s recent history, reaching the championship play offs in his only two full seasons. Yes, failure to get us up from that division, means that he was only relatively successful, but more successful than Bruce, Jos and Jones, who all failed to reach the championship play offs with Wednesday

On 06/02/2020 at 18:26, gurujuan said:

Depends how you define success, statistically he has been the most successful manager in Wednesday’s recent history, reaching the championship play offs in his only two full seasons. Yes, failure to get us up from that division, means that he was only relatively successful, but more successful than Bruce, Jos and Jones, who all failed to reach the championship play offs with Wednesday

I define success by NOT spending more than any other wednesday manager, and failing to attain the single goal of promotion.

15 minutes ago, dorian gray said:

I define success by NOT spending more than any other wednesday manager, and failing to attain the single goal of promotion.

You think Carlos has spent more than any other Wednesday Manager?

99/00 season we signed Sibon (£2.7m) and De Bilde(£4.5m), both on £30k+

97/98 we signed Di Canio, Hinchcliffe (£4m), McKeever (£675k), Sedloski (£1.35m), Magilton (£1.7m), Alexandersson (£1m), all on big wages.

They recently converted historical transfer figures for football inflation and in today's money, Hinchcliffle was £26.5m, De Bilde was £19.3m and Sedloski was £8.8m.

Throw in players like Booth for £20m and you can see that it was a far cry from the most any manager has spent.

Screenshot_20190701-140613_Chrome.jpg.d9195833fb83230511a771a82f4eeb22.jpg.3a10a21ac9a8e123dcddea3a34f73596.jpg

4 hours ago, Minton said:

You think Carlos has spent more than any other Wednesday Manager?

99/00 season we signed Sibon (£2.7m) and De Bilde(£4.5m), both on £30k+

97/98 we signed Di Canio, Hinchcliffe (£4m), McKeever (£675k), Sedloski (£1.35m), Magilton (£1.7m), Alexandersson (£1m), all on big wages.

They recently converted historical transfer figures for football inflation and in today's money, Hinchcliffle was £26.5m, De Bilde was £19.3m and Sedloski was £8.8m.

Throw in players like Booth for £20m and you can see that it was a far cry from the most any manager has spent.

Screenshot_20190701-140613_Chrome.jpg.d9195833fb83230511a771a82f4eeb22.jpg.3a10a21ac9a8e123dcddea3a34f73596.jpg

we're NOT looking at 'inflation adjusted' figures, we're looking at him having spent in this division (what may turn out to be) the only serious opportunity of a lifetime to some younger supporters of this club for a promotion to the premier. 

certainly it's promotion kitty spent bare, whilst he won nil, in his first season, and the same in his second and third, grand total NIL.

4 hours ago, Plonk said:

I think you’ll find no one in the history of football has wasted more money then DavidfuckinPleat

from distant memory, I couldn't believe when pleat bought dicanio, I thought 'NO! there's a reason celtic are selling a player of that quality'.

we needed, and were looking at rosler at man citeh at the time I believe, but couldn't get the deal done, I thought he bought dicanio because the money was burning a hole in his pocket.

2 minutes ago, dorian gray said:

we're NOT looking at 'inflation adjusted' figures, we're looking at him having spent in this division (what may turn out to be) the only serious opportunity of a lifetime to some younger supporters of this club for a promotion to the premier. 

certainly it's promotion kitty spent bare, whilst he won nil, in his first season, and the same in his second and third, grand total NIL.

Other than Sibon and Debilde those players kept us in the premier league, if you are going to bring the transfer fees up to present value then do the same with what we would have got,  the team finishing last in the EPL, last season got nearly £100m add that to you figures and you will see it was money well spent.

:bullen:

Just now, dorian gray said:

You should be looking at figures adjusted for inflation. Spending £1m 20 years ago is the equivalent of spending nearly £9m today. And bear in mind that those players were on £30-40k a week back then. We were even paying Donnelly £25k a week back then. 

You claimed that he had spent more than any other manager. Which is not true either. 

But don't let facts get in the way of a good Carlos beating post eh?

• Like 1

23 hours ago, room0035 said:

Other than Sibon and Debilde those players kept us in the premier league, if you are going to bring the transfer fees up to present value then do the same with what we would have got,  the team finishing last in the EPL, last season got nearly £100m add that to you figures and you will see it was money well spent.

:bullen:

I agree we should have had parachute money, IF it's good enough for sides now to keep them out of financial trouble, then it should have been given to all, even if retrospectively to pay out creditors who got short changed when clubs went into admin.

and is the likely major cause of wednesday's woes for two decades. 

as for dc's money spent and value for it, all gone, nothing to show.

23 hours ago, Minton said:

You should be looking at figures adjusted for inflation. Spending £1m 20 years ago is the equivalent of spending nearly £9m today. And bear in mind that those players were on £30-40k a week back then. We were even paying Donnelly £25k a week back then. 

You claimed that he had spent more than any other manager. Which is not true either. 

But don't let facts get in the way of a good Carlos beating post eh?

carlos doesn't need 'beating' his work record speaks louder than any of us, what is it now about 18 and counting?