EFL have two weeks

Here is the News................

The missing plane on the moon is allegedly a Ryan Air plane dropping off it's passengers for Houston as that was the nearest airport it could find.

In other news:  Just had a read on the Derby Telegraph https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/derby-county-efl-charge-know-3749812

I like the bit about the fair play rules   " Financial Fair Play rules were adopted at the beginning of the last decade by UEFA, the idea being to stop clubs running up massive debts and threatening their own existence. "

Well UEFA would know, being white than white in their dealings !.......just ask Blatter and Platini

Derby were only about £20 Million out  on their valutation on their stadium.  Creative accounting or what ?

And now for the weather....................

1 hour ago, Offside_Owl said:

Who do you think pays for these legal bills? What do you think the EFL is?

TBH I haven’t got a clue?  All I know from the outside looking in is they seem to be presiding over a farce?

Again, for people who are following the possible points deduction, and taking an interest in it (I think it is one of the biggest off field challenges we have had to deal with over recent years and I am interested in how the rules change to try and implement a "fairer" system). In the event of our lawyers not being able to delay EFL proceedings and then losing our case, so getting a fine and/or points deduction of some sort.The only time constraint that I have seen in the rules for issuing of points deductions is, for the 12 points for a club going into insolvency. In the case of a club becoming insolvent a 12 point deduction for that season is applied immediately if it occurs before 5pm on the 4th Thursday of March, after that time the points deduction will apply at the start of the next season. This applies even if the club has slipped down to the national league or come up from the national league, either way the team would start on - 12 points the following season.

If the SWFC appointed legal team do their job well and prevent the EFL from taking action against us before the end of the season, the questions about penalties carrying over to teams promoted to the prem are interesting. The fines appear to be covered now, so that the sliding scale of fines is applied to clubs remaining, or leaving the championship (in either direction) for spending over the limit by up is a 1% fine, then from £100,001 to £500,000 is 20% and so on, as per this years rules.

The question that some people have raised about possible point deductions for teams promoted to the prem is more difficult to sort out, with no specific ruling in the EFL FFP except maybe a blanket ruling of  - The decisions of the Fair Play Panel shall be final and binding on all Championship Clubs. Which could be taken as not applying to Premiership clubs as any points awarded or deducted in the Prem are subject to premier league rules, and to be quite honest with you I cannot be @rsed to read them unless we look like getting promoted and the EFL manage to rule against us. It would be very unlucky for us if we managed to become the first team to be promoted to the prem and get docked points for overspending in the Championship, but maybe that would fit in more with the SWFC way of doing things than getting away with it.

If we do not manage to get promoted again this season we would get points deducted next season, making promotion even more unlikely next season (which makes this transfer window possibly the most important one we have had since, well... last year!).

There is also the possibility of a fine related to our valuation of the ground, which again can be debated all over the place, but presumably could also be added to any fine we could get for overspending, if our ground sale is not classed as admissible in last years accounts. Interestingly then we would have a large fine to pay whether we go up, or stay in the Championship, which could (if DC jacked it in or lost his bank card) put us under! So much for the EFL's policing of financial fair play. How we should register such a fine in our accounts, which seasons accounts we should include them in and whether or not such spending would be included then in our company accounts and our three yearly allowable losses account under FFP is mind bogglingly complicated and a good enough reason I reckon for the EFL to let us off the hook.

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Great Big Galaa said:

TBH I haven’t got a clue?  All I know from the outside looking in is they seem to be presiding over a farce?

The money that they get from fines goes into a pot. Maybe they can use some of this money, but you would imagine that it could be better spent elsewhere. On helping out clubs that are not getting parachute payments for example? 

The idea of financial fair play is great if you have all the teams taking part on the same footing right from the start, but teams using parachute payments should have a separate set of rules governing them, because they are receiving very large sums of money, for two or three seasons which comes from outside the EFL and this money allows these teams to compete at a different level to the rest. I hate to say it, but it makes the ongoing promotions of teams that come up to the Championship even more admirable really. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Great Big Galaa said:

The EFL is the clubs. So if there's a legal bill, it's paid for by the 72, or rather 71 clubs. It's essentially a not-for-profit members' club.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Ante's Bubbly said:

If we do not manage to get promoted again this season we would get points deducted next season,

Not itk by any means but how can the efl fine us for overvaluing? Surely we would then have case with the independant valuers whom no doubt would then sue the efl...to protect their integrity..blah blah blah.

I just can't see how the efl could win on the valuation point.

14 hours ago, Minton said:

The EFL have nothing to do with the Premier League parachute payments

They could though if the EFL put in place Maximum spending limits for all clubs over the 3 year evaluation period.

Alternatively spending could be balanced by lodging a bond of equal value to player spending with the bond refunded on completion of said player contract. So if an owner walked away in the middle of a player contract the remnant of the contract would go to the club for purposes of seeing out the contract and the former chairman/owner would collect the residue of the bond. Consequently there would be no clubs threatened by not being able to pay up on players acquired by former owners.  

On 16/01/2020 at 17:27, Ante's Bubbly said:

Are you joking? So you dont count all the multi-season ticket deals, the over inflated match day tickets, 1867 club etc to be our money? DC did. He asked us to help him and we did. The overspending charges are levelled at the club, not DC personally. Surely we all wish they were? If DC got fined, his money (and our money) that has been invested in the club, would be a lot safer without a big point deduction and a club fine.

I've just worked out that despite having a ST since 1978, using today's costs. my investment in the club is less than 0.03% of DC's.

20 hours ago, Royal_D said:

How many clubs they threatening with points deductions now ???   Championship will be full asterixs by time they done , or should I say by time Steve Gibson is done 

If it's full of asterixs then the clubs should just say Obelix to it all, FFS lol 

• Haha 6

3 hours ago, Road Runner said:

Good statement from Derby and very familiar. 

I can see Wednesday and Derby working together on this with possibly Birmingham and that will be three powerful clubs taking on the EFL and Steve Gibson. 

It would be interesting to have a forensic look into the EFL accounts. 

Be interesting to see Middlesborough's next accounts, parachute payments now run out which was the only reason they complied with FFP, £6m loss in 2018 which included some player sales. Don't recall any meaningful sales since, another chunky loss inbound for 2019? Wouldn't surprise me if Gibson became less pious going into next season, with a poo squad and losses hurtling towards the FFP limit. Just a shame their ground is only worth about 20p.