Bannan hissy fit at Fox

3 hours ago, prowl said:

Bannan is a gobshite at times. Nothing wrong with giving people a b0ll0cking but he often does it after he's made the mistake. Westwood does the same.

Leadership is a skill some people have, we are short of that type of player. It doesn't come from being a great player yourself, having a gob on you or being hard, it's instinctively knowing when someone needs a pat on the back, a quiet word or a serious talking to. A slagging off infront of 20,000  people rarely works.

Borner is the nearest I can think of in our currrent team who might make a good captain, enthusiasic, supportive, a warrior and always got a smile on his face. Give him the rest of the season to settle in and he might be the man.

Yeah seems always to be after the event, to pass blame

I hope the players can support each other better by knowing when and what needs to be done as you say

This is the problem when you've a disjointed team in capability and set up. The likes of Bannan, would fit nicely into most championship teams, whilst the likes of Fox wouldn't - just my opinion.

I think it's like when Carbone and Di Canio just passed it to each other; ignoring Booth who was in a better position - they would throw their arms in the air when Booth's second touch was a tackle.

Fox, Palmer, Pelupessy, Nuihu etc., are tryers, but not on the same technical level as Bannan - he gets frustrated like we all do at their collective floundering. 

Whilst Bannan's not a world beater, he makes us tick and will be hard to replace. The problem is we've never complemented him by having a decent engine at the side of him to allow him to influence games more. I suppose he looks at the rest and wonders where that support is - Hutch is as good as it gets and he peaked in 2015. 

We have a big decision to make on Bannan in the next few weeks. If we don't get him signed up, he will have good offers from other Championship clubs in the new year and leave in May. Fox won't.

2 hours ago, Castleford Owl said:

Of the impression that Bannan genuinely thinks he's the best player on the pitch every time he steps on it. Berating his team mates is a regular occurrence, yet he never puts his hands up and acknowledges his own shortcomings.

Bit controversial that.

2 hours ago, TodwickOwl said:

You shouldn’t be watching football if you think Bannan is our problem, what a joke.

I’ve played and watched plenty of football over the years and will continue to do so thanks very much.  Bannan is certainly a tidy footballer, but I’m now coming round to the view that he is part of the problem in the middle of the park.  

I think we need more energy and drive than Bannan has to offer - he lacks physicality and can’t tackle.  He sees a lot of the ball but doesn’t create enough for me, and his goal scoring record is poor.  I’ve no doubt he’s one of our better players, but I don’t believe he has the qualities to get us out of the Championship and I’d be tempted to sell in the summer.  If Bannan is as good as you think he is there should be no shortage of offers.

• Like 1

The OP was really about Bannans attitude rather than his ability. His actions weren't going to make Fox a better player now or later. It was all about his own frustrations. I do though respect Bannans ability and think hes a key player for us still. 

To all the 'old school' nowt wrong wi a good bollockin gang, an old gafter told me praise in public, bolllock in private. Still great advice imo.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steve Down South said:

I’ve played and watched plenty of football over the years and will continue to do so thanks very much.  Bannan is certainly a tidy footballer, but I’m now coming round to the view that he is part of the problem in the middle of the park.  

I think we need more energy and drive than Bannan has to offer - he lacks physicality and can’t tackle.  He sees a lot of the ball but doesn’t create enough for me, and his goal scoring record is poor.  I’ve no doubt he’s one of our better players, but I don’t believe he has the qualities to get us out of the Championship and I’d be tempted to sell in the summer.  If Bannan is as good as you think he is there should be no shortage of offers.

He lacks physicality and can’t tackle? Shock

Jesus - we’ve known this for years and every single year we have said we need a big unit in their winning the scraps and feeding him as the playmaker 

Bannan makes things tick and provides opportunities

1 minute ago, TodwickOwl said:

He lacks physicality and can’t tackle? Shock

Jesus - we’ve known this for years and every single year we have said we need a big unit in their winning the scraps and feeding him as the playmaker 

Bannan makes things tick and provides opportunities

We’ve tried feeding him as playmaker for the last few years and it’s so predictable - just hasn’t worked.  He’s a good player for sure, but not as good as some on here believe, and by no means indispensable.

1 hour ago, McRightSide said:

How many of you have complained about Loovens and Lees not getting stuck into people?

Seems like the POV gets twisted to suit the order of the day

Really? I've no idea what the answer to your question is but, being neither a cretin nor wholly unacquainted with the arts of man management, I would never support a public hanging out to dry. 

• Like 1

Crowley, even at his young age showed how a number 8 should play. He was brilliant last night. Bannan thinks he's a quarter back most of the time. 

OT: Fox deserved a bollocking for that god awful "attempt" at going with the runner and cutting out the cross. Odubajo, due to Reach's pass was also caught too far up the pitch meaning he never managed to get back to cover round the goalscorer Gimenez, although he could have done.

6 hours ago, Peacenocchio said:

Not denying Foxs fault in their goal but the way Bannan reacted as captain after was pathetic. Fox clearly was upset at the goal but Bannan was shouting at him and waving his arms around like a 12 year old. Taking a teammate down in front of the fans on the North especially when you are captain is not leadership. Bannan then made 2 errors far worse than Fox's but was lucky that they didn't capitalise.

Brannan is fine when it's going well, but he does act like a small child at times. He has made error after error and TBH lucky he isn't being dropped. Yes give people a telling but do it quietly and dont embarrass yourself or the other player. Westwood has the same attitude at times. Being a captain is a bit more than being mouthy.

• Like 1