Team for Birmingham

Would like to see Luongo and Nando brought in. 

We need goals and these two are more likely than most to get one or two. 

Perhaps put Iorfa at right back. 

Dawson for Westwood? 

Last chance saloon for the latter imo. 

I think he may go 4-4-2 tomorrow as Brum are a team that are not bothered about possession.  Expect Forestieri to start up front. Our managers don’t like playing him out wide but I would when we play a midfield 3.

The team that Monk will pick;

Westwood (lucky boy)

Iorfa

Lees

Borner

Fox

Reach

Hutch

Bannan

Harris

Fletch 

FF

I genuinely think it's time to try something different. Monk's been here long enough now to get an idea what he can get out of these players.

And although performances haven't been disastrous...it's clear, when it comes to competing at the summit of the league, we just aren't there under this current guise. 

With Palmer suspended for three games, it allows us to play a genuine wing back for a decent period of games to see what output that could give us. Our wide men so far, have done alright...but they aren't contributing enough goals. We need to get more goals into the side, somehow. 

-----------------Dawson-------------------

Odubajo-----Iorfa----Borner----------Fox

---------------Hutchinson------------------

----------Bannan-----Luongo-------------

------------------Forestieri-----------------

----------Fletcher-----Nuhiu-----------

I like the diamond, and I think it gives us some nice options. Although, it'll naturally be a little unbalanced with Fox been our only left back, who's attributes aren't akin to the wing back role, it could actually allow us to really focus our play down the right hand channel, with Iorfa potentially been allowed to exploit the space Odubajo will naturally create. With Hutchinson naturally playing the half back role, and Fox naturally cautious, we'll still have good defensive cover. 

I'd opt for Luongo instead of Lee, just because Lee looks devoid of belief when in good positions at the minute...although, I appreciate that Lee is getting into those positions. As for the front three...I've gone for the most attacking variant, and I can see Forestieri really enjoying the freedom when playing off both Fletcher and Nuhiu who'll drop deep and create space in behind. That said, playing Reach in that no. 10 role, with Forestieri alongside Fletcher also has its merits. 

And the bonus with playing the diamond, and becoming comfortable with it...is the ease at which it can slip into a 3 at the back system, or conversely to a wide 4-3-3 (personnel dependant). 

I just think our midfield has the attributes that could make this system work...yes we're lacking a natural No.10, and a left wing back....but I still feel like it's a system that can make us a far more potent attacking outfit.

5 hours ago, britpunk77 said:

Westwood

Iorfa             Lees              Borner

Lee                Luongo            Bannan                 Reach

Harris                                Forestieri

Fletcher

Attack, Attack,  Attack  Attack  Attack

Edited by britpunk77
Re-sized Ealier Post for Phone Users

5 hours ago, TrickyTrev said:

I’d go with...

Westwood

Iorfa

Lees

Borner

Fox

Reach

Luongo

Bannan

Harris

Forestieri

Fletcher

I’d go with this too, got to get Forestieri in the side and confident. Otherwise I can’t see where we have the x-factor to score the goals that we should be, with the way we are playing and the opportunities being created 

Edited by Owls-Fan

Someone has to play up top with Fletch, and whilst Dave is a willing partner, it makes us too predictable. The flick ons both achieve are wasted because neither has the pace to capitalise, but yet man Harris does, so as I posted in the West Brom team thread, something like this would be great to see, although would probably never happen. Allows Bannan to play high up the pitch, but can also drop back in to midfield, FF licence to roam, Bob's your uncle -:

Westwood

Lees Iorfa Borner

Hutch

Luongo Bannan Reach

FF

Fletcher Harris

1 hour ago, Beighton Owl 87 said:

Westwood 

Iorfa        Lees            Borner          Palmer

Luongo        Lee         Bannan 

Reach      Fletcher      Forestieri

we'll get nowt if palmer plays …...

Birmingham's last two results. 

1-1 Away v Huddersfield 

0-1 Home v Fulham 

Huddersfield seemed to defend deeply an conceded possession. Birmingham clearly like to play the ball on the floor and run with the ball at defenders. Huddersfield got their equaliser on the break with pace through the middle. 

Maybe Birmingham were playing to high up the pitch with too many players forward? Maybe that's where we will unlock their defence?

They don't look a big team apart from Pedersen, so we'll ask questions at set pieces. Especially of Camp their goalkeeper who dropped a clanger against Fulham... 

At home against Fulham they appear to like to attack with numbers, given the chance I guess that's their default tactics, runners off the ball everywhere. They got caught on the break again against Fulham because if this. This is where the pace of Murphy, Harris and maybe Foresteri could be dangerous against them. 

Carry on as before tactics wise, I'm happy we're heading in the right direction, but Birmingham will definitely give us a run for our money from what I can see. 

Maybe Louongo or Reach in for Lee and Foresteri in for Fletcher if their legs need resting. 

Odubajo in for Palmer by necessity, but he needs to ensure he concentrates on defending first for me against Birmingham, they will ask questions of him, and we know sometimes he doesn't come up with the correct answers. 

6 hours ago, britpunk77 said:

Westwood

Fletcher

Like the look of that except I would have Hutch for Lees in his organisational ability and his desire to go and play forward balls.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, A12owl said:

Bannan instead of Lee.

Difficult choice between Winnall  , Rhodes or Nuhiu.

Non of them inspire confidence to score many goals. 

Do we have anybody in the u23's who could do a job . What a desperate state to be in having had at least 7 strikers on the books for years. Can't find more than 1 out and out striker of worth. 

Liam Shaw of the u23's seems to know where the net is.  Think he's out on loan (?(30-day?)) but he seems to have ability.  I'd have a closer look at Jordan O'Brien too.  Neither may be able to do a job this season, but both show ability, and get results in their current assignments, the former being a box-to-box Midfielder, the latter being  a Forward.  I think Borukov could do what Nuhiu does, he's like Nuhiu, only more agile, and a tough lone-frontman is desirable.  

If Dawson isn't starting now, you've got to ask whether he will renew his contract in the summer. If he doesn't get some encouragement and we lose him because he wants first team football, we'll be left with very little cover in a key position. Westwood, like any other player who is not performing well over a number of matches, should not be considered unable to be dropped. Tough decision but managers often bang on about competition for places bringing out the best in players.

17 hours ago, britpunk77 said:

Westwood

Fletcher

This gave me a brain haemorrhage

• Like 1
  • Haha 1