Willie Henderson

Palace were full of stars, they were meant to wipe the floor up with us in that third round cup Match. Wee Willie totally bamboozled them and the penalty he won earned us a replay.

I don't remember much of the game at Selhurst, I hitched it down and begged a seat back on one of the coaches. It was the 21st Birthday of David Sunley. He duly obliged with a last minute leveller in a not very exciting match. If we had anything to worry about those worries disappeared on that night.

The replay at Villa Park was a real match. We trailed twice one down at half time. Then came the Willie and Joicey show. Yet again they couldn't tame we Willie out wide. Joicey levelled in front of our lot before Palace retook the lead. We grew stronger while Palace began to fade. We went crazy on our end as Joicey levelled again from another Henderson cross. Joicey then went on to complete his hat trick to send us into raptures with a late winner. A great night followed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Used to hug the touch line on the right wing, similar to Waddle.

Mesmerised the Huddersfield defence in a 3-2 win, best I’d seen him play.

Glad to see Wee Willie is still going strong,  and still has an affectation for us after all these years.

Remember well walking onto the leppings lane and everyone had some barmy flat cap on with a furry ball in the middle,two weeks later I looked a tvvat as well,had to send my dear old Mum to cockaynes for a tam o shanter,she duly obliged,they must have sold a few thousand while Willie was here! :image:

1 minute ago, legendaryswan said:

Remember well walking onto the leppings lane and everyone had some barmy flat cap on with a furry ball in the middle,two weeks later I looked a tvvat as well,had to send my dear old Mum to cockaynes for a tam o shanter,she duly obliged,they must have sold a few thousand while Willie was here! :image:

The headrest covers from S.U.T coaches were a cheaper alternative for some!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, marconi said:

The headrest covers from S.U.T coaches were a cheaper alternative for some!

Crombie overcoat,ben sherman shirt,oxford bags trousers & brogues shoes,with mi tamo on top, god we had style as kids back in the day,we all looked like businessmen!Well scottish businessmen

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

My first real hero. Remember seeing him in scamps one night ( bearing in mind he was a little tubby bald headed bloke) with a stunner on each arm. What a player though. Dem blavdes bought Lennox ( I think it was ) from Celtic in an attempt to out do us. But he wasn’t a patch on wee. Willie. 

5 hours ago, legendaryswan said:

Crombie overcoat,ben sherman shirt,oxford bags trousers & brogues shoes,with mi tamo on top, god we had style as kids back in the day,we all looked like businessmen!Well scottish businessmen

Top Rank Saturday morning, Wooly Bully WTF:. UTO.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Plonk said:

My first real hero. Remember seeing him in scamps one night ( bearing in mind he was a little tubby bald headed bloke) with a stunner on each arm. What a player though. Dem blavdes bought Lennox ( I think it was ) from Celtic in an attempt to out do us. But he wasn’t a patch on wee. Willie. 

It was jinky Jimmy Johnson they bought Plonk ...

Lennox was a one club man 

Apart from the George Best / Rodney Marsh retirement fund in the USA lol

"Willie Henderson, with a nose like a blind cobblers thumb".

Early 70s we always stood in the same spot on the kop behind the same group of older lads. They came out with some cracking one-liners. The only one that's stuck with me for nearly 50s years pops up every time Wille gets a mention. Not all that funny, but amused me at the time, and always makes me smile at the memory.

As does the way he took the Palace defence apart. He was supposed to be past it when he left Rangers for us, but, other than Waddle, he's probably the best winger we've had.