My take

8 hours ago, Salmonbones said:

I have mentioned in other threads I am currently watching this back and one thing I am particularly happy on is Iorfa.

If his performance today was under our porcine friends and Wilder, it would have been lauded as something spectacular with his exploits going forwards.

I can pick out a few players today to heap praise on, but my main focus would be Iorfa.   I have no clue how we got this man on the cheap, and I feel we need to find a way to play to his strengths a little bit more because this bloke has a lot in his locker that we can utilise an awful lot more.

A great defender, if not gangling and unorthodox - but going forward he scares defenders and can be an absolute threat.

agree on Iorfa, at the moment reminds me of a no nonsense Hector back there. Vindicated the decision not to spend on him for sure.

10 hours ago, Salmonbones said:

I have mentioned in other threads I am currently watching this back and one thing I am particularly happy on is Iorfa.

If his performance today was under our porcine friends and Wilder, it would have been lauded as something spectacular with his exploits going forwards.

I can pick out a few players today to heap praise on, but my main focus would be Iorfa.   I have no clue how we got this man on the cheap, and I feel we need to find a way to play to his strengths a little bit more because this bloke has a lot in his locker that we can utilise an awful lot more.

A great defender, if not gangling and unorthodox - but going forward he scares defenders and can be an absolute threat.

Iorfa has been getting better and better with each game since he moved to central defence and yesterday he was sensational.

He is a superb athlete with all of the physical attributes that are needed in the modern game, height, pace and comfortable on he ball.

I really liked him last season when he was playing wing back, you could see there was a quality player in there but when he plays at centre back he is more involved and looks even better.

I said earlier this season when the midfield were getting overrun that I could see him playing the Ya Ya Toure, Patrick Vierra role in midfield and still think he could do that role if needed.

My worry is he has looked so good recently he will already on the radar of some clubs.

12 hours ago, We'llNeverBeMastered said:

Play offs? We're 1 or 2 players off being top 2 material.

Absolutely no reason we can't go for it.

Oh god. I like the optimism, but realistically, making the play-offs would be a fantastic achievement for us this season.

Given that we're only 2 points off 11th (and probably an Owlstalk meltdown) we shouldn't get too carried away just yet!

• Haha 1

Guest Jack the Hat
13 hours ago, marcx666 said:

You mean apart from the first 2 seasons under Carlos where we equalled the clubs historic record for clean sheets?

That defence and how it equalled 2 club records was a mystery to me. Individually I didn’t think the players looked that good but together it seemed to work . That’s great until you have injuries and have to make changes and the whole defence fell apart like against united. For years that defence was a creaky gate. This defence is much better and robust  to change as demonstrated yesterday where we looked rock solid without two of our best cbs. Can you imagine that game with the old defence with lees and loovens injured?

7 hours ago, jamiejohn said:

I think we missed out today with set plays. Monk obviously went with the front two because of Leeds lack of height but our delivery was poor. Saying that I’m far more confident than I was before the game, top six minimum top two if we get it right in January 

Probably the only slight negative, our delivery and decision making from set plays, and out wide was poor

shame we messed about getting monk in, we would be top now possibly with a gap on points, nothing against bullen he steps in when needed and tries his best, if we can start putting the chances away we will go up, we are a solid unit, sheffield will have two teams in the premier league atlast! ( dont see them going down ) and I'd prefer them being up there with us so we can start getting Sheffield on the map 

3 hours ago, Jack the Hat said:

That defence and how it equalled 2 club records was a mystery to me. Individually I didn’t think the players looked that good but together it seemed to work . That’s great until you have injuries and have to make changes and the whole defence fell apart like against united. For years that defence was a creaky gate. This defence is much better and robust  to change as demonstrated yesterday where we looked rock solid without two of our best cbs. Can you imagine that game with the old defence with lees and loovens injured?

Totally agree. This defence and the midfield in front of it seems much stronger and more orhanised than the one that broke those records.

17 hours ago, vulva said:

That’s the best we’ve played this season. lorfa was immense, as was Hutch. We missed Hutch in midfield but he would add 3 years into his career if he converted to a centre half. 

We should have won 3-0. I wanted Cowley, but Monk has done a brilliant job. We’ve come close this last few years trying to play sexy football, but this more pragmatic style might just be the ticket. Give Monk what he wants in January. I wouldn’t want to play us in the playoffs. 

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! 

passing it square along the backline, and taking 15+ passes to get over half way must be the 'sexy' part of making sure you don't 'SHOOT' too soon, if you get my meaning.

19 minutes ago, dorian gray said:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! 

passing it square along the backline, and taking 15+ passes to get over half way must be the 'sexy' part of making sure you don't 'SHOOT' too soon, if you get my meaning.

That’s the one yes. The football that got us to the playoffs 2 years running. 

17 hours ago, SettleForADraw said:

That performance today makes the ground out win against Stoke midweek even more impressive.

If we played like that against Stoke we would have steamrollered them rather than grinding out the win. That's the frustrating thing about Wednesday. Remember the first 2 years under CC? We would play great against top teams and lose against anyone on a bad run or in the bottom 3.

The aren't losing much to anyone now but we do seem to get a goal then go into our shell and hang on or concede in the last few minutes against teams we are superior to. I suppose it doesn't matter if we are picking up points but it does make your eyes bleed at times particularly after a great display yesterday.

If results go against us today we could be down to 6th but I think we are getting stronger every game and I think the best is yet to come. I think we are top 4 potentially if we don't get too many injuries.