18/19. 12th. GF17. GA17. Pts16

17/18. 12th. GF15. GA12. Pts16

16/17. 9th. GF13. GA14. Pts17

15/16. 9th. GF16. GA15. Pts16

Best position.

Best points.

Lowest goals against.

Easily best goal difference.

Yes we’ve had a relatively easy set of opponents, but we’ve also played six aways and five homes.

Great start.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

After 11 games in the DC era:-

19/20. 8th. GF16. GA9. Pts19

Best position.

Best points.

Lowest goals against.

Yes we’ve had a relatively easy set of opponents, but we’ve also played six aways and five homes.

Great start.

Yes very good start.

With regards to it being a relatively easy set of opponents, let’s just see where the teams are come May before deeming it an easy start 

4 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Best position.

Best points.

Lowest goals against.

Great start.

giphy (115).gif

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

Yes very good start.

With regards to it being a relatively easy set of opponents, let’s just see where the teams are come May before deeming it an easy start 

Im very much in the “no such thing as an easy game” camp, but I was anticipating plenty of “easy start” replies.

I’ve said on numerous threads and others have said the same that our defensive shape is very good.

You can also look at the goals conceded and that a number of those have been mistakes, Odubajo’s penalties against Preston and Westwood has made a few errors. 

I don’t think we will be pretty this season but our shape at the back gives me some confidence. We are hard working and we have a got a touch of class with Bannan and Harris. Get Forestieri firing and we could do something this season.

Edited by Bouncing Owl

28 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Best position.

Best points.

Lowest goals against.

Great start.

tumblr_n9h3zoIr5b1shxe70o3_400.gif.a37173518c096c0a2511b43dc3485db5.gif

• Haha 4

34 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

Yes very good start.

In fairness it is the teams we expect to beat we usually struggle against. So in all a bloody good start with the shambles of pre season with no manager.

The next run of fixtures will tell us where we are as a team.

Cardiff, Stoke, Leeds, Blackburn, Swansea and WBA are our next six games. We've got away games at notoriously difficult places, and home games against some of the best performing sides in the division (expect Stoke to kick on after their victory at the weekend).

If we maintain our current projections after those set of games, then we will not only be in a fantastic position in the table, but we'll have a very good case for been a genuine promotion candidate this season.

At this point, the bare statistics are good. Even the most negative of Wednesday fan cannot argue that...but there's also no getting away from the fact, that we've played the majority of the dregs of the division. 

But, if we come out of the next six games relatively unscathed...10 points would be a creditable haul...then confidence and momentum could start to generate some real positivity within the club.

1 minute ago, frastheowl said:

The next run of fixtures will tell us where we are as a team.

Cardiff, Stoke, Leeds, Blackburn, Swansea and WBA are our next six games. We've got away games at notoriously difficult places, and home games against some of the best performing sides in the division (expect Stoke to kick on after their victory at the weekend).

If we maintain our current projections after those set of games, then we will not only be in a fantastic position in the table, but we'll have a very good case for been a genuine promotion candidate this season.

At this point, the bare statistics are good. Even the most negative of Wednesday fan cannot argue that...but there's also no getting away from the fact, that we've played the majority of the dregs of the division. 

But, if we come out of the next six games relatively unscathed...10 points would be a creditable haul...then confidence and momentum could start to generate some real positivity within the club.

Blimey- that is a right old run of fixtures but stay solid at the back and who knows. 

We will have a slump at some stage of the season, how we deal with it will define our season. If heads drop we will fade away/bottle it.

I'm hopeful but I'm not sure we have enough character to sustain a challenge. Monk may be able to instill it in the team, the signs are good but it's still early days.

1 hour ago, Holmowl said:

Best position.

Best points.

Lowest goals against.

Great start.

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I always find these type of stats a bit misleading and people can read too much into them

For instance, we've only played 3 teams from the top half of the table, Preston, Fulham, and QPR, and we're yet to win one

You might say QPR won't finish top half, but teams that we have beaten convincingly like Huddersfield, Middlesborough, and Reading might, so it's always best just to look to the next game

Cardiff will be a decent pointer as to where we are

I think if Monk can get Forestieri firing, and he is able to bring a couple of players in during the next window, then anything is still possible

In my opinion, the performances aren't there yet, but the togetherness is

Things are looking promising

Edited by HOOTIE AND THE SHIT TU

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

What I'm taking from this is that the opening 11 games are a pretty poor indicator of where we might end up at the end of the season.

:duntmatter:

19/20. 8th. GF16. GA9. Pts19 - final position - God knows!

18/19. 12th. GF17. GA17. Pts16 - final position -12th

17/18. 12th. GF15. GA12. Pts16 - final position -15th

16/17. 9th. GF13. GA14. Pts17 - final position - 4th

15/16. 9th. GF16. GA15. Pts16 - final position - 6th

20 minutes ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

I always find these type of stats a bit misleading and people can read too much into them

For instance, we've only played 3 teams from the top half of the table, Preston, Fulham, and QPR, and we're yet to win one

You might say QPR won't finish top half, but teams that we have beaten convincingly like Huddersfield, Middlesborough, and Reading might, so it's always best just to look to the next game

Cardiff will be a decent pointer as to where we are

I think if Monk can get Forestieri firing, and he is able to bring a couple of players in during the next window, then anything is still possible

In my opinion, the performances aren't there yet, but the togetherness is

Things are looking promising

We haven't won one but the QPR game was absolutely terrible defending that gifted them 2 goals. I believe it was Iorfa's first game at centre back. He seems to have improved 100% since that debacle (Hull goal aside).

Preston were gifted 2 penalties by Odubajo who seems to have improved 50% since then. We were never in any trouble against them and when we did get our act together could easily have got a point.

Fulham could have been a win as, again, we were never really troubled by them and had chances to  win it and suffered a terrible refereeing performance.

I know there are always ifs and buts involved but I think there is fairly strong evidence in these games to give us optimism that we can at least hold our own with the top teams.

Disclaimer. There are also no guarantees with Wednesday that any form of evidence will be an accurate predictor of future performance.

All we've done is address the areas that we've been crying out for the last 3 years...Pace/Power

And  evolved into a team which is not obsessed with passing it (although it was incredible at times), battles for each ball and keeps it simple.  We've got enough talent to go places but it's all got to come together.  Hope Monk is the man to make something out of what we have got.