Comparison of seasons

35 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

What I'm taking from this is that the opening 11 games are a pretty poor indicator of where we might end up at the end of the season.

:duntmatter:

19/20. 8th. GF16. GA9. Pts19 - final position - God knows!

18/19. 12th. GF17. GA17. Pts16 - final position -12th

17/18. 12th. GF15. GA12. Pts16 - final position -15th

16/17. 9th. GF13. GA14. Pts17 - final position - 4th

15/16. 9th. GF16. GA15. Pts16 - final position - 6th

Those stats suggest a Top 6 Finish is more than possible as the 2 seasons we've found ourselves 9th at this stage we got in the play-offs but who knows as Peacenocchio said the next 11 games will probably tell us if we've got a chance or not?

2 hours ago, Holmowl said:

After 11 games in the DC era:-

19/20. 8th. GF16. GA9. Pts19

18/19. 12th. GF17. GA17. Pts16

17/18. 12th. GF15. GA12. Pts16

16/17. 9th. GF13. GA14. Pts17

15/16. 9th. GF16. GA15. Pts16

Best position.

Best points.

Lowest goals against.

Easily best goal difference.

Yes we’ve had a relatively easy set of opponents, but we’ve also played six aways and five homes.

Great start.

7mmH.gif.a8a65b50c7ea609344f60c9a10bcbe07.gif

1 hour ago, the mighty wednesday said:

We haven't won one but the QPR game was absolutely terrible defending that gifted them 2 goals. I believe it was Iorfa's first game at centre back. He seems to have improved 100% since that debacle (Hull goal aside).

Preston were gifted 2 penalties by Odubajo who seems to have improved 50% since then. We were never in any trouble against them and when we did get our act together could easily have got a point.

Fulham could have been a win as, again, we were never really troubled by them and had chances to  win it and suffered a terrible refereeing performance.

I know there are always ifs and buts involved but I think there is fairly strong evidence in these games to give us optimism that we can at least hold our own with the top teams.

Disclaimer. There are also no guarantees with Wednesday that any form of evidence will be an accurate predictor of future performance.

If you were a  Barnsley fan, you could say both our goals came from a Barnsley misplaced pass, which they did

If you were a Luton supporter you could say one lasp of concntration cost them

Point is, every team can come up with what if's

You say Fulham could have been a win, I disagree, Fulham never got out of first gear, their over confidence did them

We're doing okay, mainly through good defensive organisation, we've got an outlet with Harris

A lot will depend on keeping key players fit, Fletcher getting a knock affected him, he rarely won a header against Wigan because he was concerned about his ankle, he's one we can't afford to lose

It's still early days, but it's looking okay, which is the same for all the teams in the top 10, there are really big tests to come

The next 3 games will be a good indicator of where we are

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

19 minutes ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

If you were a  Barnsley fan, you could say both our goals came from a Barnsley misplaced pass, which they did

If you were a Luton supporter you could say one lasp of concntration cost them

Point is, every team can come up with what if's

You say Fulham could have been a win, I disagree, Fulham never got out of first gear, their over confidence did them

We're doing okay, mainly through good defensive organisation, we've got an outlet with Harris

A lot will depend on keeping key players fit, Fletcher getting a knock affected him, he rarely won a header against Wigan because he was concerned about his ankle, he's one we can't afford to lose

It's still early days, but it's looking okay, which is the same for all the teams in the top 10, there are really big tests to come

The next 3 games will be a good indicator of where we are

I did say in my post that there are always ifs and buts.

The point was really about our performance versus the ones in the top half and you questioning our ability to compete with them. I take your point about Luton and Barnsley being defensive lapses but we pressured them and possibly forced the errors. We could also claim Nuhiu's total sitter and Winnall's quite easy header against Hull plus the definite penalty not given.

I'd always maintain that it is difficult to claim you didn't get out of second gear if your opponents have the best chances in the game and you are constantly falling over as happened in the Fulham game.

I think the QPR performance was so bad that it was a blip (hopefully). The Preston game was a one man horror show for Odubajo which doesn't often happen (hopefully).

You also didn't read the small print I cleverly inserted at the bottom of my post by way of disclaimer.  lol

3 hours ago, Holmowl said:

After 11 games in the DC era:-

19/20. 8th. GF16. GA9. Pts19

18/19. 12th. GF17. GA17. Pts16

17/18. 12th. GF15. GA12. Pts16

16/17. 9th. GF13. GA14. Pts17

15/16. 9th. GF16. GA15. Pts16

Best position.

Best points.

Lowest goals against.

Easily best goal difference.

Yes we’ve had a relatively easy set of opponents, but we’ve also played six aways and five homes.

Great start.

Weren't these the very teams we used to struggle against once upon a time? 

4 hours ago, FreshOwl said:

Yes very good start.

With regards to it being a relatively easy set of opponents, let’s just see where the teams are come May before deeming it an easy start 

Such a strange attitude.

We won’t be playing them at the end of the season, we played them at the beginning 

19 minutes ago, the mighty wednesday said:

I did say in my post that there are always ifs and buts.

The point was really about our performance versus the ones in the top half and you questioning our ability to compete with them. I take your point about Luton and Barnsley being defensive lapses but we pressured them and possibly forced the errors. We could also claim Nuhiu's total sitter and Winnall's quite easy header against Hull plus the definite penalty not given.

I'd always maintain that it is difficult to claim you didn't get out of second gear if your opponents have the best chances in the game and you are constantly falling over as happened in the Fulham game.

I think the QPR performance was so bad that it was a blip (hopefully). The Preston game was a one man horror show for Odubajo which doesn't often happen (hopefully).

You also didn't read the small print I cleverly inserted at the bottom of my post by way of disclaimer.  lol

The next three games will show if we're anywhere near the top teams, Cardiff, Leeds and Stoke isn't it?

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

2 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

What I'm taking from this is that the opening 11 games are a pretty poor indicator of where we might end up at the end of the season.

:duntmatter:

19/20. 8th. GF16. GA9. Pts19 - final position - 1st (Champions)

18/19. 12th. GF17. GA17. Pts16 - final position -12th

17/18. 12th. GF15. GA12. Pts16 - final position -15th

16/17. 9th. GF13. GA14. Pts17 - final position - 4th (Play off semi)

15/16. 9th. GF16. GA15. Pts16 - final position - 6th (Play off final) 

Happy to help 

:dry:

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

Apart from Carlos’ first season.

22nd Charlton - lost 3-1

24th Bolton - drew 0-0

23rd Dons - lost 2-1 and Drew 0-0

21st Rotherham - lost 1-0

17th Bristol C - lost 4-1

I'm always optimistic pre-season, but this year I was absolutely convinced that we'd pee the league. Then the fat fkker left and I was just a tad down.

Considering everything, were in a pretty good position.

2 thoughts are

• this situation is crying out for FF to come back as the talisman he was.
  • if were anywhere near I can see Chansiri really gambling come January. Defence is good enough, plenty of wide options. We still need a bit of class in the midfield and a goal scorer and I think we could be on our way.

7 hours ago, prowl said:

We will have a slump at some stage of the season, how we deal with it will define our season. If heads drop we will fade away/bottle it.

Already had our slump pal - v QPR. All good from now until May. Enjoy the ride!

6 hours ago, McRightSide said:

Such a strange attitude.

We won’t be playing them at the end of the season, we played them at the beginning 

How is it strange, the foook you on about? 

If we recently beat a team who say for example are 19th, but finish 8th, are they still a weaker team?