Pulis wouldn’t have been my first choice, but I can 100% get behind him

I get people not being the fan of his football but to call him a bad manager I think is really unfair. Looking at what he did at Stoke, Palace and West Brom, I think it’s harsh to call him a failure. Even Middlesbrough he got them to 5th, then was made to sell captain Ben Gibson, Adama Traore and Patrick Bamford. Any team would struggle to replace 3 players of that quality and improve on 5th. 

I'd have pulis. 

People who wouldn't are mad.

Style of play? Seriously. If our aim is the premier League, then how we get there shouldn't matter.

We need someone who can get the best out of the current crop, without adding too it. He'd be able to do that. But you won't be able to radically change the style of play with the players we have.

Intact I'd have Pulis over Cowley, just on the basis of results. 

Edited by RedDragonOwl

44 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

I really hope we don’t bring him in. The style of football would be amongst the worse we have seen for a long time. Boro fans I know hated him as manager. And as for that stupid flippinghat he wears! 

Ask Stoke fans what they think of him, I'm sure they'd have him back. 

Each to their own I suppose, some want pretty football some want a possession based team, some like the long ball and then there's high pressing game, 4-3-3, 4-4-2, 5-3-2, 3-5-2, 5-4-1  etc...wing backs full backs, box to boxes, players in the hole or down the flanks or even in the channels,, its all b0II0cks really because It all comes down to one thing in the end and that's WINNING when we're winning we're happy, anyone who says different needs there bumps felt.

Just saying lol

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, kevtheowl said:

So football under Megson was fantastic then ?

This sort of argument is turning me off Owlstalk. 

Criticise Pulis, so you must think is better. 

Criticise Chansiri, so you must think Allen was better. 

Criticise our performance, so losing at home to Burton was better. 

Criticise the kit, so the crap one from a few years ago was better. 

Criticise our spending, so no spending must be better. 

Criticise our sales strategy, so selling desperately was better. 

There is no consideration given to the circumstances surrounding each topic of debate and this site is just becoming an echo chamber of polarised opinions where who shouts loudest is heard better and reasoned, rational debate is lost. 

Yes, I’m having a bad day. 

5 minutes ago, i used to be sc_owl said:

There is no consideration given to the circumstances surrounding each topic of debate and this site is just becoming an echo chamber of polarised opinions where who shouts loudest is heard better and reasoned, rational debate is lost. 

It isn't just this site, either, but society in general.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WalthamOwl said:

I really hope we don’t bring him in. The style of football would be amongst the worse we have seen for a long time. Boro fans I know hated him as manager. And as for that stupid flippinghat he wears! 

It would be like watching Megson's brand of football all over again.WTF:

NO THANKS 

1 hour ago, General_Grievous said:

I'd actually be ok with Pulis as manager. Not my first choice by any means, but he's vastly experienced and knows the game inside out. There's no doubt he can handle the bigger characters who perhaps have too much influence in the dressing room (bannan, hutch, westy etc) and will give us proper leadership. Not got a pretty football style by all accounts but the all in the net is what matters. Not as if we've been blessed with flamenco rhythms for the past few years is it!!!

If he was appointed, i would support 100% and actually be confident that he'll do well. To be honest, not too much different to what we got with Bruce in terms of leadership, experience and contacts in the game.

And he may even bring our lord and his best mate as his assistant, our lot won't know what's hit them.

Imagine a performance like Saturday followed by a Sunday morning trip to informous woods.

garymegson

• Like 1

I've gone past caring who the manager is and what style of football we play

bottom line is I just want to see us win games and challenge for promotion

Warnock has never played free flowing football but always has his teams challenging.

We need to ask ourselves do we want tippy tappy easy on the eye football and finish mid table or do we sacrifice that for a more archaic form of football and finish top 6. From what I've seen so far we don't have the resource to do both

I've watched 3 awful performances from Wednesday in the last week. there seemed to be no leadership or organisation from either the sidelines or from the pitch. by the end of each game I couldn't really tell what formation we were playing in any of the games and what the plan was. We don't seem to have a plan A never mind a plan B

Pulis wouldn't be my first choice but we cannot afford to mess around any longer. We need an experienced hand in to direct the team and more importantly the club in general. If this figurehead has to Pulis then so be it but please Mr Chansiri stop messing around

16 minutes ago, i used to be sc_owl said:

That just doesn't follow!!, just because you have criticism of a person/action doesn't by default make previous comparatives better!!, that's just nonsense. We are allowed to criticise  poor performances, poor appointments, poor sales or purchases, that's the nature of the beast. Pointing out failure/flaws doesn't mean everyone is eternally negative or indeed wrong!!. Re: Pulis, it's a perfectly 'rational debate' to suggest his style/brand of football is considered by many to be rather old school & uninspiring, and as such would be a turn off to many fans. The past evidence of how his teams tend to play, successful or not, is there for all to see. How is that not giving consideration to the circumstances surrounding each topic!????

Edited by tommycockles

49 minutes ago, RedDragonOwl said:

I'd have pulis. 

People who wouldn't are mad.

Style of play? Seriously. If our aim is the premier League, then how we get there shouldn't matter.

We need someone who can get the best out of the current crop, without adding too it. He'd be able to do that. But you won't be able to radically change the style of play with the players we have.

Intact I'd have Pulis over Cowley, just on the basis of results. 

Thing is I think Pulis would get us promoted to the premier league and keep us there. Sod the style of play, surely after 20 years out of the Top Flight, we’d take that? :rolleyes:

• Thanks 1

He's a dinosaur - and not very pleasant one either.

His appointment might seem quite appealing until you're into about the 15th game of his reign and you line up with four centre halves & four defensive midfielders at home. 

And he'll leave behind a very one dimensional squad only capable of playing his god awful brand of football.

Football is primarily a results based business, I understand that, but there is more to it than witnessing his soulless, turgid brand of football every week. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1