Cowleys get them in

1 minute ago, gurujuan said:

Yes, but they went out and acquired an even bigger lad, Akinde. They certainly tried to expose our lack of aerial ability at the back, in the that pre season friendly. Would absolutely hate it, if we went any more long ball than we are already, but a bit more emphasis on the physical attributes at the back, wouldn’t go amis 

Pedantry at its finiest here, but Akinde is 6'1", Rhead 6'3" !!!1:biggrin:

14 minutes ago, domSWFC said:

The thing that both concerns me, and intrigues me about the Cowleys is there style of play. It is very direct, up to the big man. But, coming from Non League, you have to make it work with what you have. One thing they have done, season after season at Lincoln is make the most of what they have. They never got huge money to overhaul their squad to play tika taka. 

So, are they long ball merchants? Or would we see something totally different here with more at their disposal? 

It would be a very interesting appointment. They've been my choice all summer. 

It's a matter of perspective  if Tom Lees is hoofing it, it's long ball....if it's Bannan it's a long pass.

Ultimately, right now we have no identity to our play so anything would be a start. 

40 minutes ago, Guesswhosback said:

Got to be better then Bullen i fell asleep at Preston the football was that bad. 

This topic should probably have its own thread  :biggrin:

But that performance at Preston for example - how much of it was down to our opponent's tactics?

Preston took all three points, so maybe their fans went home happy

Or maybe they'd like to see more action for their money?

I don't even like to see us dither about taking a throw, or Westy almost a full minute to take a goalkick

But Preston rewrite the book when it comes to keeping the ball dead, kicking it away at every opportunity and preventing quick free kicks

And the ref was happy to let them get on with it

Perhaps games are easier to control when the ball's out of play for thirty-odd minutes

It's not just them - Millwall and QPR are just as bad, and I reckon it's all down to coaching

You might call it 'good' game management but IMO they're just short-changing the fans

And I don't hold with the if you can't beat 'em, join 'em point of view

We all appreciate games won with style, don't we?

The Cowley's have turned down a LOT of offers, including Hull, West Brom & Huddersfield who are / were all parachute privileged clubs

I wonder if the they are naively waiting for an offer from a Prem club?

Very rarely do young English managers get those sort of offers ... Partly due to footballing snobbery 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, camffiti said:

The Cowley's have turned down a LOT of offers, including Hull, West Brom & Huddersfield who are / were all parachute privileged clubs

Very rarely do young English managers get those sort of offers ... Partly due to footballing snobbery 

That's the thing that has me wondering about this speculation, WBA & Udders will have bigger budgets and, arguably, much better squads than us currently, so turning those down to come to S6 would seem odd!!??. Obviously we don't know what they've asked for in previous discussions, or what term & parameters those respective clubs have placed on their vacancies, but would seem a bit strange if they came to us!?

11 minutes ago, Chris Apolon said:

Saw this on my way to work. Thought it apt

20190904_092652.jpg

Disgraceful spillage issues on rear bumper 

The measure of the quality of workmanship?....

They'd better not show up at Hillsborough first day of training with Snickers covered in silicone sealant like a "Trousered Jackson Pollock" either .......

Don't Shìt on your own Step........lol

• Haha 3

19 minutes ago, sherlyegg said:

That worries me, stick to what you are good at.

Long ball, short ball or tip tappie. Just need wins however they come about.

Tinkering and fooookin about with styles even for an experienced manager is reyt risky.

Not having a pop at you mate, but I distinctly remember under Carlos, we won four ( I think it was) on the bounce & people were screaming for his head because of the so called ‘style’ we were supposedly playing at the time.

All the posts from that time will obviously still be archived, but it was meltdown on here at the time, so I reckon wins would placate people for a couple of weeks but the inevitable murmurings of discontent would soon kick in, if indeed they DO play the style referred to.

Where exactly does it say that he's turned these championship clubs down apart from Huddersfield? There were snippets online about west Brom, hull and forest being linked but to turn a job down you have to speak to clubs and it never got that far with any of them.

19 minutes ago, camffiti said:

Possible difference being that we're a bit of a skeleton of a club right now, which gives the Cowleys an opportunity to make their mark. If DC says he wants their help from virtually "top to bottom" of the footballing side, and will give them financial backing to do so, it could be a very different proposition from what others have come in with.

3 minutes ago, s29wfc said:

Where exactly does it say that he's turned these championship clubs down apart from Huddersfield? There were snippets online about west Brom, hull and forest being linked but to turn a job down you have to speak to clubs and it never got that far with any of them.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/football-league/next-west-brom-manager-danny-cowley-chris-hughton-championship-odds-a8924271.html   :dry:

25 minutes ago, camffiti said:

Did they actually turn West Brom down. I thought it was more that WBA decided to go with Bilic.

It would be a very interesting and exciting appointment it we got the Cowleys but looking on Wikipedia apart from Lincoln they have never been employed by anyone outside Non league playing or coaching so would be a huge gamble. Clubs the size of Wednesday and above can come with a lot of politics involved which they might not be used to.