Cowleys get them in

2 minutes ago, Mycroft said:

A fair shout but again plays boring football, and one of my bugbears is the fashion of timewasting, parking the bus not entertaining the fans and for me Alex Neil is a culprit of this fad. 

This

He must run extra training sessions devoted to 'playing dead'

Insisting his players lay motionless for five seconds after every challenge - then get quietly to their feet if the ref doesn't buy it

And if the ref is particularly hard to convince, then slapping the turf in despair might change his mind

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Ethel The Tree said:

This

He must run extra training sessions devoted to 'playing dead'

Insisting his players lay motionless for five seconds after every challenge - then get quietly to their feet if the ref doesn't buy it

And if the ref is particularly hard to convince, then slapping the turf in despair might change his mind

Hard to disagree with that, although it's an unsavoury side to a pretty astute manager.  He did well to get Norwich promoted, and is arguably doing even better with a PNE side that rarely spends big money (they signed Potts from Barnsley last season, and if the clauses all trigger he will become their record signing at £2m).

Seen quite a few PNE games as I'm often in that area - on the whole they play decent attacking stuff, getting at teams out wide with quick counter attacks.  He strikes me as a manager who can get the most out of the players at his disposal, adapting his tactics to suit.

44 minutes ago, archieswfc said:

I get your point, however, Wilder and Smith gained promotion and are more similar appointments to Cowley.

That's true, but Wilder joined the Blades in the Third Division, from Third Division Northampton.

He didn't leap two divisions.

And Wilder is 51, he isn't a young manager.

He's been in management almost 20 years.

Aston Villa had the strongest squad in the Championship, and Smith came from Brentford, another Championship club.

8 minutes ago, Athelwulf said:

That's true, but Wilder joined the Blades in the Third Division, from Third Division Northampton.

He didn't leap two divisions.

And Wilder is 51, he isn't a young manager.

He's been in management almost 20 years.

Aston Villa had the strongest squad in the Championship, and Smith came from Brentford, another Championship club.

Are we a Premiership side?

29 minutes ago, the monk said:

So that rules out any young manager then ?

Wednesday fans seem to have lost the thought of positivity and make up any cr ap just to be negative 

I suppose it depends what you mean by "young".

A lot of the managers who fans think are young, actually aren't that young at all.

It's more about experience, and how great the leap is from one club to another.

I mean, Wilder and Smith both made a big leap from the point of view of club size (well, Smith did anyway lol), but the clubs they moved to were at the same level.

The Cowleys would not only be joining a much larger club, but one two divisions higher that desperately needs promotion for financial reasons.

1 minute ago, Athelwulf said:

A lot of the managers who fans think are young, actually aren't that young at all.

I mean, Wilder and Smith both made a big leap from the point of view of club size (well, Smith did anyway lol), but the clubs they moved to were at the same level.

The Cowleys would not only be joining a much larger club, but one two divisions higher that desperately needs promotion for financial reasons.

Two divisions?..

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Athelwulf said:

????, you do realise they're a league 1 team??, indeed currently 2nd in the league and technically 15 places below us in the 'football pyramid'!!??:rolleyes:

3 minutes ago, Westfield Owl said:

Wow, talk about pedantic.  Crowley has literally managed 6 games at League One level or higher.

And got schooled last night by Donny.

Hardly schooled, they put out a much changed side, full of youngsters, to save first teamers for the league campaign!!

Edited by tommycockles

Guest domSWFC

The thing that both concerns me, and intrigues me about the Cowleys is there style of play. It is very direct, up to the big man. But, coming from Non League, you have to make it work with what you have. One thing they have done, season after season at Lincoln is make the most of what they have. They never got huge money to overhaul their squad to play tika taka. 

So, are they long ball merchants? Or would we see something totally different here with more at their disposal? 

It would be a very interesting appointment. They've been my choice all summer. 

2 minutes ago, domSWFC said:

The thing that both concerns me, and intrigues me about the Cowleys is there style of play. It is very direct, up to the big man. But, coming from Non League, you have to make it work with what you have. One thing they have done, season after season at Lincoln is make the most of what they have. They never got huge money to overhaul their squad to play tika taka. 

So, are they long ball merchants? Or would we see something totally different here with more at their disposal? 

Despite that they've averaged 74 goals a season over 3 seasons which is decent. 

3 minutes ago, domSWFC said:

I think 'very direct' is a bit harsh, lower down the leagues they were no doubt more direct, horses for courses type, when they had big lad Rhead up front. He's gone now as they've gone higher league level. The cup game against Everton on tv showed a fluid attacking possession based style, far more than just a lump it long philosophy. I thought they looked pretty tidy, and gave a strong Everton lineup a good run for their money!! 

5 minutes ago, domSWFC said:

Maybe they put round pegs in round holes.... radical approach I know

I understand that they like a high press, win the ball and play from there, with a target man, so a bit long yes and a disciplined defensive shape....not a big leap from what we are trying to do, so for me a logical move. We certainly don't want someone in who wants to play tippy tappy football, we don't have the defence for that

Just now, tommycockles said:

I think 'very direct' is a bit harsh, lower down the leagues they were no doubt more direct, horses for courses type, when they had big lad Rhead up front. He's gone now as they've gone higher league level. The cup game against Everton on tv showed a fluid attacking possession based style, far more than just a lump it long philosophy. I thought they looked pretty tidy, and gave a strong Everton lineup a good run for their money!! 

Yes, but they went out and acquired an even bigger lad, Akinde. They certainly tried to expose our lack of aerial ability at the back, in the that pre season friendly. Would absolutely hate it, if we went any more long ball than we are already, but a bit more emphasis on the physical attributes at the back, wouldn’t go amis 

1 minute ago, domSWFC said:

That worries me, stick to what you are good at.

Long ball, short ball or tip tappie. Just need wins however they come about.

Tinkering and fooookin about with styles even for an experienced manager is reyt risky.

• Like 1