Club Statement

The very people who caused the disaster are determined to make the stadium unusable . There is no point fighting this whatever we do they will find a problem so upsticks and move to a new stadium progress our club and take business away from the council, syp and sag leave them with the pigs and the lane 

Reading the report it only covers Leppings Lane and ignores every other part of the ground, Seems quite clear that an analysis of Penistone Rd is likely to show issues around egress rates and holding areas already as bad as Leppings Lane. An analysis after implementation of the recommendations would almost certainly show Penistone Rd and the exit route from the North Stand as pretty serious. 

Using the same logic to other areas, SAG would probably then reduce our capacity to about 20k with every alternate seat available. 

None of the analysis bears any resemblance to the events of the 1989 disaster. And  applying the same theory to almost any other ground in the country is likely to find matters similar or worse.

But we know that will not happen. This  seems to be a special analysis to try and excuse SYP yet again from incompetence and is a special theory to be applied only to Hillsborough. I hope the courts dismiss it for the biased and frankly dangerous nonsense it is. 

In in the meantime, we are left with another travesty affecting our club where we are going to be allowed to use around 30,000 seats in a ground where there are nearly 40,000. I hope we have a massive win later today. 

So are they segregating people at the team stop 100 odd metres up the road. 

Whats the justification? Overcrowding and crush potential or fans fighting each other. 

There must be a risk and cause highlighted as part of the study. 

1 hour ago, 4evaowl said:

It's reported in the Daily Mail (I know) that the club received an initial report on 26th June but did not attend and initial safety meeting on this issue on 17th July. SWFCs response at a meeting a week later was then deemed inadequate.

Anyone know if this is true (not attending the 17th July meeting)?

1 hour ago, owls maniac said:

Sounds like something has been leaked to the DM from the SAG. Which in itself is inappropriate. 

If true then the club need to up their game. Stunts like that only strengthen SYP’s case that we aren’t taking it seriously. 

When we put out an official statement SYP responded with a statement of their own that includes these details, it is on the SYP website and has also been reported in the Star.

https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/crime/war-of-words-breaks-out-between-police-and-sheffield-wednesday-over-crowd-safety-at-hillsborough-489374

This situation seems destined to lead to a complete mess later today with further issues coming from it. 

Fans who react badly or haven’t got the message or fail to hear instructions etc will no doubt be used as a further reason against the club... a vicious circle. 

I’m not into conspiracies generally but it’s starting to look like it... or at the very least a situation where ‘they’ can’t be seen to be ‘wrong’... leading to digging their heels in and making it appear as a campaign against the club. ‘They’ appear to want the club to be seen in a bag light - with very fishy timing. However, ‘they’ as an entity surely can not fully be anti SWFC - as even their employees may be fans of the club... so an agenda either doesn’t exist or goes deeper than we think. 

I feel for DC. The guy just wanted to buy a club and put on some football matches - and he gets all this to deal with. He must be emotionally and physically knackered running this club... is he actually being targeted, as a man wealthy enough that could afford to buy us a new ground - and is therefore trying to be forced into doing so?  

Worthless info alert: 

One afternoon, a couple of weeks ago I was walking past the LL end... there were a few men there with clipboards gesturing up to the tram stop etc and at the away end. Got some bad vibes from it - didn’t get the feeling these were people from the club. 

8 hours ago, Blatter said:

Just read the report in full. It concentrates on crowd density and fan mixing at Leppings Lane.

I can see no consideration of crowd density risk at the East End of the stadium caused by their recommendations for egress of home fans.

I would call that a seriously flawed set of recommendations needing a more comprehensive study.

The report even specifically states that it's recommendations for all fans from the north stand to 'egress' to the east side of the stadium onto Penistone Rd should only be implemented after further analysis has been carried out on the impact of that action. 

Has anyone seen THAT report.....?:ph34r:

7 hours ago, Ash76 said:

Very poor taste

As for what we can do, aside from writing letters or emails the obvious thing is a 1000 or so people protesting at the LL end 2 - 2.30/2.45

That will give them something to think 

Sorry if my post offended anyone, I picked a random time with no thought to it's connection to the disaster. 

Lesson learned. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 4evaowl said:

It's reported in the Daily Mail (I know) that the club received an initial report on 26th June but did not attend and initial safety meeting on this issue on 17th July. SWFCs response at a meeting a week later was then deemed inadequate.

Anyone know if this is true (not attending the 17th July meeting)?

i heard that yesterday from someone with contacts at the club. 

I would urge all Wednesday fans whatever frustrations they face today that they remain calm and dignified and treat the police and stewards with respect and friendliness.

The SAG team etc will exploit any flash points they can however trivial, we are now aware that they fight dirty and in underhand manner.

If you see a Barnsley fan giving it the big one walk on by and ignore them, or give them a hug.  

WAWAW

5 minutes ago, Mycroft said:

I would urge all Wednesday fans whatever frustrations they face today that they remain calm and dignified and treat the police and stewards with respect and friendliness.

The SAG team etc will exploit any flash points they can however trivial, we are now aware that they fight dirty and in underhand manner.

If you see a Barnsley fan giving it the big one walk on by and ignore them, or give them a hug.  

WAWAW

Nah, shove them clickers right up their bullet hole. 

• Haha 3

I’ve just read the report. 

I understand the concerns. 

But to say they can’t keep fans back because of the concourse area being small and the amount of time they’d have to be kept there is ridiculous. It also only relates to when the west upper is full, it’s hardly EVER full. There’s only 2,500 there today!!

direct quote from the report

When considering the option of a hold back a quick calculation shows that for the 3,951 away fans in attendance for the SWFC v SUFC fixture, only 13% of the fans could be safely “accommodated in this area at any one time.
Further reductions of this percentage, as stated previously, would be necessary due to obstructions and a satisfactory clearance to allow free passageway to toilets and facilities, reducing further allowing for the clearance needed around the steps to and from the vomitries.
Although concourses are not designed to accommodate the full stand or capacity, a percentage of between 10% and 13% is on the low value, providing a heightened risk should there be a holdback in the stands.

ive been held back at Leeds for about 20 minutes. We stayed in the stands. Their concourse area is even smaller than ours ffs. 

2 minutes ago, Essix Blue said:

But to say they can’t keep fans back because of the concourse area being small and the amount of time they’d have to be kept there is ridiculous. It also only relates to when the west upper is full, it’s hardly EVER full. There’s only 2,500 there today!!

When considering the option of a hold back a quick calculation shows that for the 3,951 away fans in attendance for the SWFC v SUFC fixture, only 13% of the fans could be safely “accommodated in this area at any one time.
Further reductions of this percentage, as stated previously, would be necessary due to obstructions and a satisfactory clearance to allow free passageway to toilets and facilities, reducing further allowing for the clearance needed around the steps to and from the vomitries.
Although concourses are not designed to accommodate the full stand or capacity, a percentage of between 10% and 13% is on the low value, providing a heightened risk should there be a holdback in the stands.

ive been held back at Leeds for about 20 minutes. We stayed in the stands. Their concourse area is even smaller than ours ffs. 

Any truth in the rumours that wednesdayite contributed to the report against the club 

9 minutes ago, PARKOWL said:

Any truth in the rumours that wednesdayite contributed to the report against the club 

I don’t think so. Although they (W’ite) do see to be defending the police / SAG from what I’ve seen. Esp on twitter. 

One bit of the response to the club's statement that caught my eye: 

“The club statement, that the measures in place for Saturday’s games are outside of their control, is factually incorrect and misleading, as they hold the responsibility for crowd safety, entrance and egress to the stadium, and the TRAFFIC MANAGEMENT around the venue."

Hillsborough stadium was built in the 1800s... No cars on the road back then. Presumably Sheffield Council, the police, etc had an input into the growing traffic network around Sheffield. Presumably Sheffield Council, the police, etc would have used forward thinking in their network planning. Surely they would have looked at attendances figures and said to themselves, "Hold on a minute, Hillsborough stadium occasionally has 50,000 people exiting it here, here and here... Have we considered that in our planning?".

Penistone Road has been developed, widened, had it's capacity for cars increased multiple times (Leppings Lane also has been subject to town planning, to a lesser extent) to the point where we are today.

Are Sheffield Council and SYP essentially saying they could whack a six lane motorway slap bang outside the ground along Penistone Road then, job done, sit back, relax and say "Thank God it's up to Sheffield Wednesday to manage traffic on matchdays...".

18 hours ago, Mole said:

SYP and SAG, absolute pair of jokers. Used to sit in the North for 10 years and went in and out that way without any issues. 

I can see the reasoning that in certain games where there is higher 'expectation' and 'opportunity' of conflict taking place then such considerations should be implemented.

however there are many when 'common sense should prevail'.

37 minutes ago, Essix Blue said:

'LEPPINGS LANE' mate, they'll sh*t themselves at every opportunity.

Like many I can understand their concerns about what happens on Leppings Lane, it's the total disregard for the knock on issues elsewhere around the stadium that gets me