Club Statement

3 minutes ago, meggoisgod said:

Its utter bllx the whole thing

Its time to move away fans to the end section of the south stand so that the lepp can be kept either empty or populated by our fans

And how / where would the away fans leave the stadium? You’re left with the same issue. 

Edited by Essix Blue

And another thing now I have my rant head on. 

Stop dressing the police as if the are going to war.   It's getting more and more difficult to tell them apart from an invading army, put them in normal police uniforms leave the tazers and the belts full of gizmos and other weapons back in the armoury.

Police us with consent not as if are we are the enemy.  

3 minutes ago, Essix Blue said:

And how / where would the away fans leave the stadium? You’re left with the same issue. 

But if the concourse size it’s whats stopping police holding away fans back, it’s huge inside the South Stand.

21 minutes ago, kristmace said:

The report uses a couple of very debatable assumptions on crowd flow and maximum standing capacity in an area. These are huge underestimates. 

The 6m wide exit door from the North stand on to Leppings Lane can fit far more than 82 people per minute through it. I bet in practice it's double that number, easily. 

Since when has 2 people per square metre been a safe limit for standing capacity? Anyone who's ever been anywhere near the front of a standing concert knows isn't the case in practice. 

I read the report wrong... it's 82 people per minute per metre width, so that's 492 people through the door per minute. That's actually fairly reasonable... apart from the fact that I doubt 5000 leave the North via Leppings Lane. 

15 minutes ago, TrickyTrev said:

But if the concourse size it’s whats stopping police holding away fans back, it’s huge inside the South Stand.

and if away fans were given the Lepp end of the south, the concourse would have to be sectioned off wouldn’t it?

22 minutes ago, Essix Blue said:

Barnsley police have warned away fans there’ll be extra road closures today 

A61 from Tankersley 

Station Road, Chapeltown 

For a laugh 

As a few others have said, the report makes no mention of advising away supporters to remain in their seats if the option of a "hold back" is used. The report obsesses about lack of capacity in the concourse areas. Absolutely and fundamentally ridiculous.

Also, the problem they refer to on Leppings Lane itself was seemingly caused by double parking of coaches.  It's hardly rocket science to suggest that the solution is don't double park coaches. Better still find an alternative location to park coaches. How about Middlewood Road training ground car park?

Edited by Kevan

52 minutes ago, The Regulator said:

Why is trying to prove the report wrong not the right way to go about things? The solution that’s been put in place is at best impractical and at worst dangerous. The club has a duty of care to its supporters so surely, if they believe that supporters are in greater danger as a result of this action being taken, this is precisely the right thing to do.

The club's respond is an excuse

22 minutes ago, Mycroft said:

And another thing now I have my rant head on. 

Stop dressing the police as if the are going to war.   It's getting more and more difficult to tell them apart from an invading army, put them in normal police uniforms leave the tazers and the belts full of gizmos and other weapons back in the armoury.

Police us with consent not as if are we are the enemy.  

What do they then do if they need them?

1 hour ago, Binky Griptite said:

One bit of the response to the club's statement that caught my eye: 

“The club statement, that the measures in place for Saturday’s games are outside of their control, is factually incorrect and misleading, as they hold the responsibility for crowd safety, entrance and egress to the stadium, and the TRAFFIC MANAGEMENT around the venue."

Hillsborough stadium was built in the 1800s... No cars on the road back then. Presumably Sheffield Council, the police, etc had an input into the growing traffic network around Sheffield. Presumably Sheffield Council, the police, etc would have used forward thinking in their network planning. Surely they would have looked at attendances figures and said to themselves, "Hold on a minute, Hillsborough stadium occasionally has 50,000 people exiting it here, here and here... Have we considered that in our planning?".

Penistone Road has been developed, widened, had it's capacity for cars increased multiple times (Leppings Lane also has been subject to town planning, to a lesser extent) to the point where we are today.

Are Sheffield Council and SYP essentially saying they could whack a six lane motorway slap bang outside the ground along Penistone Road then, job done, sit back, relax and say "Thank God it's up to Sheffield Wednesday to manage traffic on matchdays...".

Ok, so if the club are responsible for traffic management let's just shut penistone road completely from 2 till 6 rather  than just cone off 1 lane. I'm sure the council and SYP won't have any issues with us doing that. After all public safety is their primary concern right?

This report has clearly been produced with the sole purpose of deflecting  any blame for the issues at the derby game away from SYP.  I guess we shouldnt be surprised, lets be honest, they  got previous in this area.

A perfect  example of this is the assertion that they couldn't keep the fans back because the concourses aren't big enough to hold e everyone. I mean it's not as if theres a large space with allocated  seating ideal for this readily available is it?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, akbuk said:

It's not crap though is it ,no excuse for club to get the fans into this predicament so near to the match stupid attitude

If the club have missed an opportunity to avert this scenario then I agree with your sentiment. Some fans are going to be fuming when they are asked to move seats, which really isn’t the match going experience we ought to be providing. 

For us older chaps we remember the away fans being marched to Wadsley Bridge, all the pubs boarded up and this was early 80's with proper hoolies. 14k Geordies and coaches double parked to beyond Wadsley Bridge club. 

55 minutes ago, Mycroft said:

Morally yes?  That's a get out tactic.

They should remember they answer to us the public not the other way around, they are doing this not due to H&S issues or moralistic reasons, they are doing it coz again they failed the footballing community and have childishly responding by laying the blame at the fans and the club, when it was the police who was largely  to blame.  They have gone crying to SAG and other authorities who have closed ranks against the club.

They should work with the knowledge that the ground has 34000 capacity and they should put in the resources  and manpower to make that work.

Not just cut the capacity as its the easy thing to do.

I was talking about attending a meeting which they seem to have missed deliberately

14 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

Im a ST holder on the North , same seat for 12 years , but i never enter the ground till five to three . There better not be a dopey student with a clicker telling me i cant sit in my seat. 

Don’t blame the clicker holders. Nowt to do with them. 

1 minute ago, akbuk said:

I was talking about attending a meeting which they seem to have missed deliberately

Wonder what the story is behind that. Only hearing one side at the moment and it doesn't look good