Free Agents v Spending Cash

30 minutes ago, Jeffjohnsonmyhero said:

What about having a good set of scouts ,Who can spot prospects sign them at a modest price and sell for big profit ,Rotherham do it ,Barnsley do it ,We have not done it for years ,Players coming through the Academy ,Where are they ?.Dawson and Wildsmith and Palmer excluded.

George Hirst seems a good prospect coming through the ranks 

54 minutes ago, room0035 said:

Lots of good free agents around the problem with DC is, he leaves everything until the last minute and we end up paying over the odds for players.

we should have had all players in by now instead we go into the last 4 days of window still needing a left back, centre back, centre midfield and right sided midfielder. So we will once again pay over the odds for players we could have got a lot cheaper or even on frees.

You mean like signing three players before the start of preseason, and locking in all the retained players too. 

• Thanks 1

interesting point. If you want to make money on players you probably have to pay fees for young players who you can sell on. With free transfers its not impossible but unlikely you will sell them on for big fee due to age or injury concern which made them free in first place. We paid fees for players who we never had much chance of recouping money on and some of frees we signed were towards end of careers. I think the free transfers we have made are all decent value for money and we could get a fee for them at some time. if we paid money for a player I would hope it is someone who would have a chance of improving and being a valuable asset for club.

1 hour ago, LondonOwl313 said:

Fair enough, still a rip off for how poor he is. But Reach and Abdi were more like £5m and £4m if reports were true at the time? Also seem to remember Pudil being £2m.

Not easy to know exactly how much as there's probably some add ons in there, just as the Rhodes fee is probably less than £10m total given he's not delivered for us

Much less for Abdi and Reach.  Chansiri said so at the AGM. 

Probs £1.5m U.K. front and add ons up to £3m total. 

2 hours ago, Philb125 said:

You mean like signing three players before the start of preseason, and locking in all the retained players too. 

Yes we did but where the left back, centre back, central midfielder and right midfielder we needed. Oh that's it, 4 days still left of the transfer window plenty of time to get them in at double the price.

7 hours ago, uɐıɹɐqɯıɹ⅁ said:

With free agents I'm pretty sure you pay a signing fee and they're in a stronger bargaining position when it comes to wage negotiations.

Don't agree, as they are in effect without a club they need to get signed up. Your point about the signing in fee is however, valid.

6 hours ago, Junk Smuggler said:

Could have sworn there was a small fee involved for Bannan?!

It wouldn't surprise me one bit, if Steve Judas cabbage head tried to steal him off us.

He has said he was always a big admirer & is trying to get el-Mohammadi from Villa.

:angry:

8 hours ago, Bez said:

Is it better, in the world of FFP, to stick to free agents rather than spending cash?

Over the last few years, most of our best players have been free agents with a bunch of expensive transfers flopping. 

Is it better to spend money on wages and ignore spending money?

Evidence:

Reading line up:

Westwood (Free)

Odubajo (Free)

Lees (Free)

Borner (Free)

Palmer (Youth)

Hutchinson (Free)

Bannan (Free)

Lee (Free)

Reach (£3m)

Fletcher (Free)

Harris (Free)

depends who's doing the buying !!!!!!

14 hours ago, room0035 said:

Lots of good free agents around the problem with DC is, he leaves everything until the last minute and we end up paying over the odds for players.

we should have had all players in by now instead we go into the last 4 days of window still needing a left back, centre back, centre midfield and right sided midfielder. So we will once again pay over the odds for players we could have got a lot cheaper or even on frees.

Dont agree, the market only really moves in the last few days of most windows. Lots of clubs in the same position as us. I'm not saying it isn't frustrating but that's the world we are in. 

1 minute ago, new zealand owl said:

Dont agree, the market only really moves in the last few days of most windows. Lots of clubs in the same position as us. I'm not saying it isn't frustrating but that's the world we are in. 

This. In fact the market is probably slower this year than any in recent memory. 

Good post. Reminds me of how our team during the playoff semi-final in Carlos' second season had virtually the same squad as our playoff final the year prior, despite a stack of dosh spunked on new players