Free Agents v Spending Cash

Guest Kagoshimaowl
15 hours ago, Bez said:

Is it better, in the world of FFP, to stick to free agents rather than spending cash?

Over the last few years, most of our best players have been free agents with a bunch of expensive transfers flopping. 

Is it better to spend money on wages and ignore spending money?

Evidence:

Reading line up:

Westwood (Free)

Odubajo (Free)

Lees (Free)

Borner (Free)

Palmer (Youth)

Hutchinson (Free)

Bannan (Free)

Lee (Free)

Reach (£3m)

Fletcher (Free)

Harris (Free)

Lees wasn’t free but I still love it!!

1 hour ago, Morepork said:

This. In fact the market is probably slower this year than any in recent memory. 

True, its all about holding our nerve and making sure the deals are right for us. Convinced we will bring in at least 1 and Joao on his way but again we must hold out for a decent fee. 

Guest Kagoshimaowl
1 hour ago, swfcGibbo said:

Wasn't Lees a nominal fee like 50k? Bargain really.

Sure was a bargain!!

Guest Kagoshimaowl
12 minutes ago, Bez said:

Google it.  We bought him for no transfer fee. 

Have done. Both Wiki and BBC from the time he signed say undisclosed fee. He was NOT a free.

20 hours ago, Bez said:

2019:

3x free transfers 

- Harris

- Borner

- Odubajo

2018:

1x fee paid

- Iorfa (£300k)

2017:

3x fees paid

- Rhodes (£10m)

- Van Aken (£2.5m)

- Pelupessy (£500k)

1x Free transfer

- Boyd 

2016:

4 fees paid

- Reach (£3m)

- Abdi (£2m)

- Fox (£750k)

- Winnall (£500k)

6 free agents

- Pudil

- Thorniley

- Kean

- Sasso

- Jones

- Fletcher

Interesting seeing those. It really does show that the Rhodes signing has completely buggered us. 

On 04/08/2019 at 11:58, StudentOwl said:

No it wasn't.

It's always been about £2.5m for van Aken.

The £4m was made up on Owlstalk, circulated, and has become a myth that everyone thinks is true. 

Rhodes £10.53m

VanAken £2.7m

Pessy 450k

Reach 5.31m

Abdi £3.24m

Fox 738k

Winnal 518k

Tom Lees undisclosed but I heard it was around 50k

*Figures off TransferMarkt*

On 04/08/2019 at 11:46, Leaping Lannys Perm said:

I suspect that chances of many quality frees for this season has gone now.

That's part of the problem with the soft embargoes. They hold up clubs building their team, at least to a full extent and when they come out the decent frees are gone.

Couple of loans maybe.

I agree that we will be going for loans to plug the gaps now but our embargo didn't seem to stop us getting the frees we wanted... Borner, Harris, Moses etc...

7 minutes ago, k_guite said:

I agree that we will be going for loans to plug the gaps now but our embargo didn't seem to stop us getting the frees we wanted... Borner, Harris, Moses etc...

Our embargo prevented us from Registering them as players though - had we still been under an embargo we would have sign 3 players we could not play as the EFL have to sign off on all of the deal.

Which what I read this morning makes even less sense if it is true that we would let Joao leave on loan - lets hope this is rubbish as if we can get £5m+ for him and the same for Rhodes that's £10m into the club + the likely £3m a season saving on their wages, the EFL would look favourably on us for this and it would allow us to bring a few into the areas we need in the team.

If we could then find a way to move on Fox, JVA and maybe loan a few of the kids out we could get our finances back to a manageable level even with 3 or 4 incoming players

the evidence is there for free signings clearly, plus if you pick up youngsters released from the PL and coach them up and then re-sell for millions then it gives you a lot more balance for FFP. I would like us to utilise loan signings better too. Certainly don't search planet earth for a centre back of the future and find 200, then buy van aken for 4 million. That is a no no.