Steve Bruce favourite for Newcastle job

Guest Arnold

it’s a better job at the end of the day, 

prem money, prem exposure, prem stadiums & training facilities. 

Hes a great manager. 

Look how the same players did under Bruce, compared to Jos. 

If he leaves, I’d be gutted as I genuinely believe he can take us up. But you can’t begrudge anyone getting a better job. 

Everyone on OT would be nufc manager if Mike Ashley asked them. 

lol 

Just now, wilyfox said:

"we allowed Bruce"?? He may have turned down the opportunity if DC didn't agree to a delayed start. I wouldn't expect loyalty. Bruce had an opportunity to kill speculation last night after the game. He didn't really do that. 

He said it was news to him? What more can he say. He can hardly kill something he knows nothing about. 

1 minute ago, sweetsheri said:

I take it the Middle East takeover at Newcastle is off then?

I think that’s a pretty fair assumption, if it was ever on. I don’t think Ashley has really got much intention to sell unless it’s for daft money. He likes a good takeover rumour though as a distraction.

What I don't get is what the Newcastle hierarchy have been doing.....they new weeks ago that Rafa was going but the Bruce rumours only started yesterday

Makes you wonder if someone has given back word so they are back to square one and are using Bruce to see if they can drum up any more interest from a 'name'

The glass half full theory there.... alternatively they want a stop gap manager until they are sold!!

1 minute ago, 2roland2 said:

Is hughton really 60? Surely not? 

Blimey, he actually is 60, 2 years older than Bruce.

I'd have never guessed that, he probably seems younger because he's only been managing clubs for the last 10 years or so, only half the length of time Bruce has.

No loyalty in football so I'm not buying the Steve Bruce is going to repay the compassion showed by Mr Chansiri theory. The way I see it Bruce will have wanted a 1 year rolling contract to allow him a get out clause if needed. Also if things went sour this would have helped us. If Bruce goes then I think it shows a lack of respect by him regardless of whether it is his boyhood club. As for us it leaves us in a real mess with 3 weeks to go before the new season. I actually think appointing Lee Bullen on a 1 year contract would be the smartest move to at least give us some kind of continuity.

• Like 1

Guest wilyfox
1 minute ago, sweetsheri said:

He said it was news to him? What more can he say. He can hardly kill something he knows nothing about. 

He made light of it, talking of previous favourites Vieira & Arteta. He made out he knew nothing of it - but I'm sure he's fully aware. At no point in conversation did he say "I'm not interested, and going nowhere." 

1 minute ago, wmb said:

No loyalty in football so I'm not buying the Steve Bruce is going to repay the compassion showed by Mr Chansiri theory. The way I see it Bruce will have wanted a 1 year rolling contract to allow him a get out clause if needed. Also if things went sour this would have helped us. If Bruce goes then I think it shows a lack of respect by him regardless of whether it is his boyhood club. As for us it leaves us in a real mess with 3 weeks to go before the new season. I actually think appointing Lee Bullen on a 1 year contract would be the smartest move to at least give us some kind of continuity.

Haven't all of the managers appointed by Chansiri been on short-term rolling contracts?

Let's be completely honest here...why would Newcastle want him?  

He's not exactly pulled up any trees in the Premier League, has he?  If they are being taken over, Mourinho was being mooted as their no.1 choice of manager.  Why lower your sights and go for a Championship level manager?  I don't think this is cut and dry....

1 minute ago, wilyfox said:

He made light of it, talking of previous favourites Vieira & Arteta. He made out he knew nothing of it - but I'm sure he's fully aware. At no point in conversation did he say "I'm not interested, and going nowhere." 

Yeah, he said he knew nothing about it, but had just quoted the favourites for the job for the previous 2 days!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Suzuki_San said:

Let's be completely honest here...why would Newcastle want him?  

He's not exactly pulled up any trees in the Premier League, has he?  If they are being taken over, Mourinho was being mooted as their no.1 choice of manager.  Why lower your sights and go for a Championship level manager?  I don't think this is cut and dry....

Ashley would appoint him simply on the basis that most other people at the club don't want him.

It's the Ashley way.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, alanharper said:

Blimey, he actually is 60, 2 years older than Bruce.

I'd have never guessed that, he probably seems younger because he's only been managing clubs for the last 10 years or so, only half the length of time Bruce has.

Yae, he was 30ish when he played in Italia 90

12 minutes ago, modboy said:

Maybe promote from within?

Nice sentiment, but I think we’ve had our fingers burnt with untested Championship managers in the past. We need proven managers, exactly like Bruce and the stability and confidence they bring.